The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toddler found safe after 3 days lost in the woods

10 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

yeah, it must have sucked to make the hard decisions of when playtime is over.

It was more like half paying attention to Adult conversations but always keeping an eye on the little ones.  No more than 5-10 seconds of not spotting them.

Edited by BPA
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

A neighbor (who I don’t know) has two little boys about 3 and 5. They had put a latch high up on the door because the kids are explorers. While the mom was showering the little one talked the big one into pushing a chair against the door and giving him a boost. I was putting my garbage out at 7 am when one of them said “hi, what are you doing? We’re going for a walk in the forest.” After looking around and not finding parents I had to race down the street to stop them as they went into the bush. The frantic mom was already in her car in a bathrobe searching. While crying and hugging the older one and admonishing him the younger one was parading around proudly bragging about the new stick he had found.

Dont jump to conclusions and blame the parents!

i wouldn't blame this woman.

this situation is much different, i have not come up with a activity that could be deemed necessary to leave your toddler unattended at 11am. 

39 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

oh, i c.

your right suggesting that the kid shouldn't be left unsupervised in the middle of the forest means im likely to not be a parent.

No. Suggesting that it isn't possible that even attentive parents can't lose track of their kids on occasion, suggests that you're not likely to be a parent yourself.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

yeah, hope the parents get charged with child endargement, the parents need to be  taught this is not, ok.

IMO this just as bad, and maybe worse than leaving your kid locked in your car, while you pop into a store.

I would really like to know the parents story of how this happened.

Good thing we live in a society where people are supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty!

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

IMO this just as bad, and maybe worse than leaving your kid locked in your car, while you pop into a store.

I don’t see the similarity (my opinion).  In the one case, you willingly leave your child in a car, alone.  In the other case, the child does a jailbreak when a parent’s eyes are distracted (as been stated, we don’t know the details regarding this case but Zi assume that’s what happened here).

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I lost my son in my own house once, only 1,200 sq feet. I had my eyes off him for less than 2 mins, putting away dishes.

I panicked, my heart froze in my chest. Even tho the doors of the house were closed, I ran outside the backyard, the sides of the house, up and down the block screaming his name. 

Turns out the lil dude was upstairs in a closet behind some clothes.

It can happen and it doesn't take long. Anyone calling these parents negligent without having the facts clearly does not have kids, but perhaps one day they will and then they'll understand.

Glad the kids ok. Tough kiddo, 3 days alone. Goddamn commando, this kid should be teaching survival classes to the military.

big difference, of being in the middle of the forest getting your kid lost and your situation.

after 2 minutes, the kid would still be in ear shot even if  he sprinted straight to the bush. if you cant reason with your kid to not go further in the bush, you shouldnt be taking your eyes off them for very long.

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

big difference, of being in the middle of the forest getting your kid lost and your situation.

after 2 minutes, the kid would still be in ear shot even if  he sprinted straight to the bush. if you cant reason with your kid to not go further in the bush, you shouldnt be taking your eyes off them for very long.

I don’t know, maybe you are aware of more information about this story than I am but nothing I see here leads me to blame the parents (yet.)

Short of putting a harness & leash on them and pounding a stake into the ground I’m not sure what they could have done.

Dammit Gurn re:tethering! ::D

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Good thing we live in a society where people are supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty!

to make a arrest you only need  reasonable probability. many situations of this  matter are subject to neglect, and in protection of the child i would rather assume on thier behalf.

im not advocating for jail time, but i think that schooling might be required.

your kids get lost in the woods, time to go to school. your kids get lost in the woods a second time? a big fine and more school. third time you might get charged with criminal negligence.

16 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Haha, ok whatever you say. 

• Hydration 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

No reason for a toddler to get lost in this situation.   It sounds like there were multiple adults at this cottage.  All it takes is one adult to leave the group and keep an eye on the kids.

Edit.  Misread article.  I thought it was more adults present.  But it doesn't specify.  So don't know how many adults were at that vacation spot.

Edited by BPA
12 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Haha, ok whatever you say. 

what i'm really saying is that this kid is much more likely to have been left unattended for more than 2 minutes. the kid was wearing boots and a jacket, that means either the kid dressed himself or the parent did. if the parent did this is certainly neglect. everyone here knows that  if your taking a shower your eyes will be off this child for long enough to get into trouble. so the only reasonable activity for taking your eyes off the kid for more than 2 minutes would be taking a dump the (average dump takes between 1-5 minutes).

remember there is a lake 50 feet from the house, you might want to keep a tight leash 

16 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Hope you dont hurt yourself peteyboi, with the jumping to conclusions and all

Pretty easy to tell who has kids and who doesn't, and also that certain people seem to have never met a 3 year old before, given their statements and comparisons to locking a child in a car

cmonnn man

dude, you ever leave your kid unattended 50 feet from the lake?

35 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Hope you dont hurt yourself peteyboi, with the jumping to conclusions and all

Pretty easy to tell who has kids and who doesn't, and also that certain people seem to have never met a 3 year old before, given their statements and comparisons to locking a child in a car

cmonnn man

better yet, 2 choices. leave your kid locked in the car or take your eyes off your kid  for at least 2 minutes when he's 50 feet from a lake. explain to me how one is reasonable parenting and the other is not.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

better yet, 2 choices. leave your kid locked in the car or take your eyes off your kid  for at least 2 minutes when he's 50 feet from a lake. explain to me how one is reasonable parenting and the other is not.

I'm glad you have the police report which displays the child exactly 50 ft from the lake.

Again, don't hurt yourself with all the jumping

Edited by Whorvat
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

dude, you ever leave your kid unattended 50 feet from the lake?

and your comments prove you don't understand risk and probability of outcome.

Although I don't have kids, I do understand responsibility. parenting is a job 24/7 even when sleeping. Bringing a toddler into the middle of the forest next 50 feet from a lake is a choice these parents made. it exposes the child to risk of drowning and dying of exposure. proper parenting isn't eliminating all risk, but when adding risk you should take steps to mitigate them. if your living near a lake and forest you might want special locks on your door and even a security system so you can wake up if your kid gets through the special locks.

it's safe to say these measures weren't in place or they were and the kid was outside with the parents knowledge. at that point the risk of the child is entirely dependent on thier caretaker. to take 99.9% risk away from the child entering the forest or going into the lake without your knowlege it would be unmonitored parenting - amount of time it takes the kid to sprint into the woods/lake = >0

if you dont take these steps  sooner or later your toddler is going to be in the water or in the woods. add another 20 seconds they might be drown or running away and playing hide and seek. it's up to the parent how much they care about risking thier childs life for how likely this would happen.