The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toddler found safe after 3 days lost in the woods

Mackcanuck

4 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

f, that. if your going to prosecute a kid left in a car alone without prejudice, then why should this be any different.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Do you have any kids?

No doubt, those little buggers are slippery. Certainly seems a little ignorant.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The operative sentence. It's entirely possible that the parents were negligent....just as it's entirely possible that the kid snuck away.

We just don't know....

I remember one time when my wife and I were at a winery near Osoyoos where they had a pretty big concrete staircase, and a couple with a kid wasn't watching as it doddled its way right to the edge. They weren't paying attention whatsoever, and my wife stopped the kid from taking a spill, but all she got in thanks from the parent was a big ugly stare. Some people are just stupid.

But toddlers are so greasy things can also happen in 3 seconds. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I remember one time when my wife and I were at a winery near Osoyoos where they had a pretty big concrete staircase, and a couple with a kid wasn't watching as it doddled its way right to the edge. They weren't paying attention whatsoever, and my wife stopped the kid from taking a spill, but all she got in thanks from the parent was a big ugly stare. Some people are just stupid.

But toddlers are so greasy things can also happen in 3 seconds. 

When I was five I got lost in Green Timbers for a full day. I had snuck out of our fenced-in back yard and was looking for a place to build a fort. I didn’t even know I was missing and the police and neighbors were searching. Someone found me and took me home when I wandered out of the bush somewhere.

I was about as greasy as they come.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

When I was five I got lost in Green Timbers for a full day. I had snuck out of our fenced-in back yard and was looking for a place to build a fort. I didn’t even know I was missing and the police and neighbors were searching. Someone found me and took me home when I wandered out of the bush somewhere.

I was about as greasy as they come.

yeah it sucks when you get an escape artist as a parent :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I was am about as greasy as they come.

FTFY....

• Cheers 1

Story time. 

When I was a older toddler(able to kind of talk) my parents lost me at the beach. They had search and rescue in the water and land, scouring for any sign of me...

It wasn’t totally their fault, my parents were taking my baby bro to one of the family bathrooms to change diapers and left me in the care of a family friend who lost track of me. 

Where did the young JYD go? They found me with a huge Chinese family that was more than happy to feed me some of the Chinese food they had which I was more than happy to eat. Apparently they had me at the head of the table as well. 

I looked kind of Asian when I was younger. I am a touch Asian, I don’t joke when I say I have a lot of ethnicity in me.

Anyways I think that’s how my love of Asian food began. 

Side story. A few years later we lost my brother who was actually still in the house, snuck out of bed went downstairs and fell asleep playing the N64. Hidden in plain daylight(nightlight?)

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

yeah, hope the parents get charged with child endargement, the parents need to be  taught this is not, ok.

IMO this just as bad, and maybe worse than leaving your kid locked in your car, while you pop into a store.

I would really like to know the parents story of how this happened.

ya its a bit mindblowing was the kid 3 like wheres the kids siblings and parents how does a 3 yr old wander off into the forest crazy 

My grand-nephew just turned 3.

He's a farm boy and very independent. He plays by himself and wanders around. Usually there is a few of us when I am over at the property working. We all keep an eye on him. That said, sometimes maybe one person thinks the other is near him and watching him and visa versa. 

Have to be diligent but I can see an scenario where one person wrongly assumes the child is with someone else out of eyesight, for a moment. In that time the toddler could have ran off. Add some dense forest and a confused little fella and you could have this story happen.

Edited by bishopshodan

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Story time. 

When I was a older toddler(able to kind of talk) my parents lost me at the beach. They had search and rescue in the water and land, scouring for any sign of me...

It wasn’t totally their fault, my parents were taking my baby bro to one of the family bathrooms to change diapers and left me in the care of a family friend who lost track of me. 

Where did the young JYD go? They found me with a huge Chinese family that was more than happy to feed me some of the Chinese food they had which I was more than happy to eat. Apparently they had me at the head of the table as well. 

I looked kind of Asian when I was younger. I am a touch Asian, I don’t joke when I say I have a lot of ethnicity in me.

Side story. A few years later we lost my brother who was actually still in the house, snuck out of bed went downstairs and fell asleep playing the N64. Hidden in plain daylight(nightlight?)

I don't remember it, but I guess when I was a toddler I had a strong drive for freedom. My Mom put me a playpen and fenced off in the backyard to play and get some sun. 

She found out 15-20 minutes later I was gone. She freaked....started looking all over for me. Apparently I crawled some 500+ yards from my house to No. 3 Road in Richmond. (This was late 60's Richmond, No. 3 Road was only two lanes and no where near as busy) My Mom found me in the middle of No. 3 Road directing traffic. 

I must have shaved a few years off her life that day. I'm damn lucky society was probably a little more relaxed and honest back then. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Because you don't seem to understand what looking after a three year old entails....

My 3 year old bolts it in seconds.  I litterally went to pull bikes out of the garage and he buggered off around the house, I was scrambling to find him for a few minutes not knowing what direction he had buggered off to lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Story time. 

awesome!

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I got lost at Expo 86 when I was a young lad. 

I blame god for letting it happen. 

It was crowded as **** at times from what I remember of Expo 86.  Not surprising a young person can get easily lost in that environment (even unintentionally).

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It was crowded as **** at times from what I remember of Expo 86.  Not surprising a young person can get easily lost in that environment (even unintentionally).

It was crazy busy. Probably the biggest thing that happened to the province back in those days. The start of Skytrain, Science World, and many other things. 

I still haven’t completely forgiven Mum for that.