Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Players deleting Social media

Rate this topic


FaninMex
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think I posted something here previously - social media in and of itself is neither bad nor good, but it sure as hell amplifies and intensifies human nature - both the best and the worst of it.

 

Good for those professional athletes for being able to step away from it, it's definitely got potential to distract and affect a player's performance, human that they are. 

Part of it is amplifying human nature, but part of it is having created a tool that allows a very small portion of society to have an outsized soap box to throw #$@# from.  Then what typically happens is other people tag on, and go straight into the whole mob mentality thing which just further amplifies the issue.

Meanwhile, the billionaires who created these platforms are laughing all the way to the bank, as this constant engagement (negative, positive, they don't give two #$%s) just drives more advertising revenue to them.  

Couple that with algorithms that typically favour the worst kind of eye catching, click bait crap out there, and now you've created this environment that really skews what popular opinion is, and what the world actually looks like.  A LOT of people can't distinguish reality from social media, it's a huge problem.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the part I don't get is why anyone cares what some twitter troll thinks or says. Why give them so much weight and attention? 

 

Un-moderated social media is a toilet. 

It's nuanced, it's easier to shrug off the odd troll as someone who's relatively invisible in the public eye. But as an athlete, musician, ect it's different. There's a difference before people poking fun at in practice shenanigans and having fans of one's own team pile on because you flubbed a clear cut breakaway or piling on because you made a dumb mistake that lead to the game winning goal. Then there's the bit about other fans, people who hate a team and who'll welcome opportunities to rip on their athletses.

 

Social media platforms give people the means to engage with people in ways they'd never dream of doing in person. 

 

At the end of the day what other people think matters to most people, even when it comes to smaller scale stuff. Can it be brushed off? Sure, but a lot of people are still going to have the initial reaction. Some people genuinely don't give a $&!# what others think, but then you get those exact people on social media engaging with that mentality and it cuts both ways. 

 

Social media's a very multifaceted, convoluted subject. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Part of it is amplifying human nature, but part of it is having created a tool that allows a very small portion of society to have an outsized soap box to throw #$@# from.  Then what typically happens is other people tag on, and go straight into the whole mob mentality thing which just further amplifies the issue.

Meanwhile, the billionaires who created these platforms are laughing all the way to the bank, as this constant engagement (negative, positive, they don't give two #$%s) just drives more advertising revenue to them.  

Couple that with algorithms that typically favour the worst kind of eye catching, click bait crap out there, and now you've created this environment that really skews what popular opinion is, and what the world actually looks like.  A LOT of people can't distinguish reality from social media, it's a huge problem.

“Logging on to your social media is exposing yourself to everyone’s mental sneezes, each post a glob of snot with a thought germ trying to get into your brain.” - CGP Grey explaining why angry posts get amplified on social media.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's nuanced, it's easier to shrug off the odd troll as someone who's relatively invisible in the public eye. But as an athlete, musician, ect it's different. There's a difference before people poking fun at in practice shenanigans and having fans of one's own team pile on because you flubbed a clear cut breakaway or piling on because you made a dumb mistake that lead to the game winning goal. Then there's the bit about other fans, people who hate a team and who'll welcome opportunities to rip on their athletses.

 

Social media platforms give people the means to engage with people in ways they'd never dream of doing in person. 

 

At the end of the day what other people think matters to most people, even when it comes to smaller scale stuff. Can it be brushed off? Sure, but a lot of people are still going to have the initial reaction. Some people genuinely don't give a $&!# what others think, but then you get those exact people on social media engaging with that mentality and it cuts both ways. 

 

Social media's a very multifaceted, convoluted subject. 

 

I guess it might be different had I grown up with social media, but anyone that would harass someone for being sick isn't someone I'd care about, or what their thoughts were. If it were someone I respected it would be different. I don't really understand why famous people put themselves out there for the abuse, or are surprised when it happens. It seems to me like its inevitable.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

  

Couple that with algorithms that typically favour the worst kind of eye catching, click bait crap out there, and now you've created this environment that really skews what popular opinion is, and what the world actually looks like.  A LOT of people can't distinguish reality from social media, it's a huge problem.

Facebook does this a lot.  Recently it has starting recommending about 4 videos a day for me to watch.  I have never even used Facebook to watch videos.

SO here are the 4 I am recommended today.

 

A plane crash from some unknown date, but looks old.  The classic hockey fight between the Wings and Avs.  The Amanda Nunes vs Rousey knockout, not the fight, just the knockout.  Then the final recommended video, is an antimasker fighting with a restaurant worker somewhere in America.  Most of the time there is one with a cop doing something wrong, but not today.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

Facebook does this a lot.  Recently it has starting recommending about 4 videos a day for me to watch.  I have never even used Facebook to watch videos.

SO here are the 4 I am recommended today.

 

A plane crash from some unknown date, but looks old.  The classic hockey fight between the Wings and Avs.  The Amanda Nunes vs Rousey knockout, not the fight, just the knockout.  Then the final recommended video, is an antimasker fighting with a restaurant worker somewhere in America.  Most of the time there is one with a cop doing something wrong, but not today.  

And the more you click on those recommended videos, the more you see like it.

 

If you were a conspiracy nut, instead of hockey videos and UFC, you'd see links and videos to Q Anon drops, and child luring satanic worshipping government officials.  And if you click those links, you get more videos, and more posts along those same lines, only reaffirming your belief that all this stuff has to be true!  I mean... everyone is talking about it! (sarcasm)

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess it might be different had I grown up with social media, but anyone that would harass someone for being sick isn't someone I'd care about, or what their thoughts were. If it were someone I respected it would be different. I don't really understand why famous people put themselves out there for the abuse, or are surprised when it happens. It seems to me like its inevitable.  

I think the latter bit is why some folks have a social media presence, but don't make it an everyday thing. Or why some folks hire people to run their social media, a PR sort of gig. I'm sure it happens. 

 

But yeah, comes with the spotlight unfortunately. Maybe different generations perceive it differently, but even that's a bit of a blanket statement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think the latter bit is why some folks have a social media presence, but don't make it an everyday thing. Or why some folks hire people to run their social media, a PR sort of gig. I'm sure it happens. 

 

But yeah, comes with the spotlight unfortunately. Maybe different generations perceive it differently, but even that's a bit of a blanket statement. 

I only look at things like twitter for news from guys like Freidman, etc. and sometimes make the mistake of looking at the comments, and it always turns to crap. You have to know there's a large group out there thats going to be jerks, so I guess thats the part I wonder about, why would they matter to you? I really hate it when they are called "fans" of teams, those people are not fans of anything but themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I only look at things like twitter for news from guys like Freidman, etc. and sometimes make the mistake of looking at the comments, and it always turns to crap. You have to know there's a large group out there thats going to be jerks, so I guess thats the part I wonder about, why would they matter to you? I really hate it when they are called "fans" of teams, those people are not fans of anything but themselves. 

Tough to say really, lots of reasons for different folks? 

 

I only really check twitter for gaming related stuff, sales and the like. Anything hockey related that I'll need to see from twitter will either show up here or on the Score app. 

 

And you get those in every fanbase, hell.. you even get em here sometimes. That's the nature of being able to put one's opinion out into the internet I guess. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's so sad that this happens.  Even here, with people who target/attack others in a vile way....it's a wake up call for everyone to consider that their actions really do impact others.  Hurtful, malicious and, especially, hateful comments and actions.  When people are suffering from a virus?  The ultimate low....not the right time/place.

 

We all love fun and games...gifs, etc.  It's a fine line and I'm trying to be more aware of things I post that could impact others negatively.  As a trash talking homer, I've crossed many lines in the past but aim to be better.

 

She seems so sweet/nice and it's sad that people attack like that.  Women really can become easier targets for coward keyboard warriors who view us as weaker/more vulnerable.  It says more about them than us.  

 

I love that players and their families open up to us and it's sad that the bad apples ruin all that.  They should be the ones deleting their accounts.

Who are you actually talking about here?

You or Mrs Gaudness?

 

but I mostly agree with you

I do notice with myself that sometimes I am arguingwith a caustic poster and then transfer that vitriol to another poster hwo is not being so nasty to me.... ooops

I'll try to be better

 

BTW if you were talking abut yourself, none of us were fooled... wink

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if an outright attack on Gaudette just b/c he's sick is exactly what happened.

 

From what I saw: There was a clip of his wife on a particular podcast saying she wasn't going to follow the rules regarding grocery shopping (they weren't supposed to go, rather all delivery, and she said she was going too anyways).

 

More of the criticism was aimed at the hypocrisy of the podcast IMO, (b/c they are a group that tend to attack others for these sorts of things), rather than attacking Gaudette. Anyone actually blaming Gaudette was definitely in the minority - some, if not all, were likely burner accounts not to be taken seriously.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Social media wouldn't have as much power if companies and people just stopped kowtowing to it.  

Too many sponsors or whatever will go along with cancelling someone due to "reasons", and it just makes it easier to keep going.  

 

Time for people and companies to go grow a pair and just go, "LOL, I don't give a #### about your mob mentality complaints.  Don't wanna support us/me anymore, well, don't let the door hit your ### on the way out..."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...