The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sham of Modern Art

falcon45ca

13 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Wasn't sure where to post this but since NFTs have been mentioned here, why not here?:

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

https://nypost.com/2021/03/18/nyc-man-sells-fart-for-85-cashing-in-on-nft-craze/

The value of this art is all hot air. 

A Brooklyn-based film director is simultaneously mocking and attempting to profit off the cryptocurrency craze for non-fungible tokens (NFTs) by selling a year’s worth of fart audio clips recorded in quarantine.

“If people are selling digital art and GIFs, why not sell farts?” Alex Ramírez-Mallis, 36, told The Post of his dank addition to the blockchain-based NFT market.

The top bid for the file is currently $183.

Who knew, I’ve been sitting on a goldmine.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in Van Gogh or art history, there's an interesting (and lengthy) article in the NY Times about how Van Gogh's paintings became popular.

I already knew Van Gogh, unsuccessful and unknown while he was alive, was financially supported by his younger brother, Theo, who was an art dealer.  But Theo died a few months after Vincent died, so who popularized Van Gogh's paintings?

Turns out it was Theo's wife/widow, a woman named Johanna Bonger who, after Theo's death, made it her mission to bring Vincent's paintings to the attention of the art world.

Who knew?  I didn't.

Read all about it at:

The Woman Who Made van Gogh

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/magazine/jo-van-gogh-bonger.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210418&instance_id=29386&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=55819&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237