The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) I'm bored

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@Devron44

Since I have you here.........let me share a thought of mine here with you........

Quinn Hughes................

I am luke warm on him, as a I think he is a top 5 offensive defenseman in the league

with bottom 5 defensive capabilities............

It is not all that he doesn't have defensive IQ, but that he is too small to box out or handle the big forwards

My question and point is, that when building a team

I like more 2 way dmen, that can do both

So, is he a perfect fit for me......no

So, his value to me is less than what you may have him at

what do you think of his value?

I think he has very high value.

We have never had a Defencemen of his offensive caliber in the franchise ever. 

Hes 21 years old. And I personally was still growing into an adult body at that point so I know he probably has some filling out to do as well.

Personally it irritates me that people have written off his defensive ability after a sophomore season. Like really irritates me. 

IMHO Quinn will be a top 5 offensive Dman with average defensive ability but far from bottom of the league. He’s too smart of a player. Will fill out and adapt.

Do we need more Quinn Hughes type defencemen no we do not but we should be surrounding him with 2 way types. I actually really like Hamonic since he came back and has settled Quinn down again. If you notice Quinn has focused less on offence and more on positioning the last 5-10 games 

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I think he has very high value.

We have never had a Defencemen of his offensive caliber in the franchise ever. 

Hes 21 years old. And I personally was still growing into an adult body at that point so I know he probably has some filling out to do as well.

Personally it irritates me that people have written off his defensive ability after a sophomore season. Like really irritates me. 

IMHO Quinn will be a top 5 offensive Dman with average defensive ability but far from bottom of the league. He’s too smart of a player. Will fill out and adapt.

Do we need more Quinn Hughes type defencemen no we do not but we should be surrounding him with 2 way types. I actually really like Hamonic since he came back and has settled Quinn down again. If you notice Quinn has focused less on offence and more on positioning the last 5-10 games 

I totally agree with your opinion on this, in terms of IQ and filling out, and maybe getting him a defensive defenseman to play with is the answer......

But, for me, I use this forum to explore, and learn, so I love your opinion, and it solidifies the part of my opinion that believes he is special.....

I just like to explore other possibilities.......not that, they are all good, because I know they are not...................but

Although unproven, I see Rathbone as having similar abilities, albeit not as dynamic, and wonder how it all fits in......exciting times!

we just got to get through this next couple of years!

• Vintage 1

On April 4, 2021 at 2:11 PM, komodo0921 said:

Elias Pettersson to the Rangers for K'Andre Miller, Braden Schneider, and a 2nd rounder

Trading Petey would hurt but to get something good, one has to give up something good. It would also eliminate one big ticket item, giving us some cap relief to add more. NY moved up in the 2017 draft to get Petey. Unfortunately for them, JB scooped him up first. They have superstar caliber wingers, Petey gives them a superstar center to solidify their top-six. Some might say Petey's worth more but getting 2 young defenders from 1 team is a big ask.

We get a solid, young defensive blueliner to match up with Hughes,,a gritty defender with good scoring ability to develop, and a high pick that JB can work his magic with.

Brandon Sutter 2.5 retained, 2nd rnd pick to Edmonton for Jujhar Khaira

With money retained, Sutter becomes a viable, depth center for Edmonton.

The fact that Sutter is, more than likely, a rental while we get a player that's still under RFA status makes the 2nd round pick a controllable asset for them.

We get some, much needed, real grit in our bottom six and we all know the love we have for hometown boys.

Hoagy               Miller              Flow

Pearson            Horvat            Podz

Khaira               Lind                Virtanen

Motte                Beagle            Macewen

Roussel

Huggy               Miller

Rathbone         Schneider

Schmidt            Myers

Juolevi

Demko

Dipietro

Overall, a more solid, balanced line up.

Pearson on 2nd line we are in big trouble with this lineup....Pearson 3rd line winger--- 

Lind can not play 3rd line centre...

Miller not a top D man...   Hamonic is much better with Hughes

Glad your bored, team you picked is awful...

Edited by wildcam

16 hours ago, wildcam said:

Pearson on 2nd line we are in big trouble with this lineup....Pearson 3rd line winger--- 

Lind can not play 3rd line centre...

Miller not a top D man...   Hamonic is much better with Hughes

Glad your bored, team you picked is awful...

What team have you been watching? Pearson's been there for 2 seasons now. Management likes him there, teammates like him there. If he re-signs, I can't see him moving.

Obviously you don't know that Lind's been shifted to center in Utica and, according to many sources, the transition's been seamless and he's excelled while there.

Hamonic's better with Hughes? Have you seen Miller and Hughes play together somewhere that we haven't?  

But if it makes you feel a little better:

Rathbone               Schneider

Schmidt                  Woo

Miller                       Myers

Juolevi

You know what?

That looks even better.

A solid, balanced defense that brings a full 200 ft game and brings the edge a defense needs.