Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we as a species becoming stupid


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

 

Not only that but people actually have to think less about the tasks they do. Mechanical assistance or software guidance eliminates the need to think things thru. TV pablum has replaced reading which actually encouraged thinking. 

you don't have to force yourself to become a human encyclopedia, when the information is at your fingertips.

 

play creative games, that make you think and imagine. Crosswords,Chess (there is a lot of neat variants on chess.com) both chess and crosswords help train your brain to deal with real life situations.

 

also social media while not often encourages creative thinking, It can.

 

TV documentaries also encourage thinking and IMO if done correctly have more potential to inspire. as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

 

before i started watching documentaries I never read Studies, and probably never would have without them.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before in order to meet and see what stupid people think, you had to travel a lot.

Today, you just turn on the internet and start checking out social media.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

you don't have to force yourself to become a human encyclopedia, when the information is at your fingertips.

 

play creative games, that make you think and imagine. Crosswords,Chess (there is a lot of neat variants on chess.com) both chess and crosswords help train your brain to deal with real life situations.

 

also social media while not often encourages creative thinking, It can.

 

TV documentaries also encourage thinking and IMO if done correctly have more potential to inspire. as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

 

before i started watching documentaries I never read Studies, and probably never would have without them.

 

 

Documentaries can also be extremely biased because they have to present a narrative. There is a lot of inclusion bias in most documentaries. That said, I do love a good documentary but one has to consider the bias of the creator as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Before in order to meet and see what stupid people think, you had to travel a lot.

Today, you just turn on the internet and start checking out social media.

The internet has allowed stupid people to feel like they belong. Before the internet it was better to remain silent and unseen, better to have people think you might be ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Now they have this club where ignorance is accepted, encouraged, and nourished. Sort of like “we’re here, we’re queer, get used to it.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Documentaries can also be extremely biased because they have to present a narrative. There is a lot of inclusion bias in most documentaries. That said, I do love a good documentary but one has to consider the bias of the creator as well.

i totally agree, but it's not exclusive to documentaries.  Unfortunately, many facts are, in fact, derived from scientific studies paid for by large, for-profit corporations with products to sell. 

 

How many studies have been paid for by corporations that never were published because it would hurt thier sales?

Edited by Petey_BOI
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

World needs more Will Huntings...

 

 

I think we got tons of those types of people in the world. we need more Chuckies and Professor Maguire's otherwise Mr.hunting might have never figured it out on his own, or maybe he might be a old man before he did.

 

goodwill-1426260312.gif

good_will_hunting1.jpg

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my 2 cents worth.........

 

I think our IQ as man, has gone up............as a few have known more, then ever,  in our history

 

But we have become lazy, and let other people think for us, and there are many that would just choose to follow, than to actually think, 

 

of the results of the action. 

 

But, human nature has shown the corrupt, exactly what to do, to have these people follow blindly

 

Can we cook a chicken? Well, yes, I believe, with several attempts we could

 

Make gun power? No, but I know it exists.........build a quantum computer? No, but I understand the concept (generally)

 

I believe we are smarter....but lazier, greedier, more selfish, so IMO, it appears we don't know........

 

I disagree, and believe we choose not to take the proper path when presented to us, because of the above issues

 

IMO, it is such a broad subject.

 

Take covid for example.........those that do not wear masks, choose not to for the most part, because they are selfish and do not want to be inconvenienced, but secretly go get their shot, because they don't want to die.........(just check out how many republican senators, say one thing then, do another) but by saying they do not believe in the shot, are able to convince the lazy, and selfish not to critically think.

 

Sure there are people that do not critically think, but that is common since the dinosaur, but push come to shove, they do. Now, for me, the question is not measuring IQ against the past, but measuring it against the academics of the present. I believe we are as a civilization, smarter than we have ever been.

 

Think about this............there is a teacher in the states that teaches his grade 6 class how to use a DNA CRISPR on yeast cells.......and learn the concepts behind that.  Do you think, you could teach those kids how to cook a chicken.......well of course! To me, intelligence is the exposure to fact, and the ability to reason the difference and the out come......... 

 

It is such a deep subject, that I do not knw enough about, but I have a unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and am always searching...........

 

Now, just for the record. When I had my heart attack, I lost alot of my short term memory, and had to go to a Neuro-phycologist for examination and testing. During my testing, my IQ was tested, and a discussion of my up bringing was had. I told my doctor, that as a boy, I had a very hard time in school and was placed in phonics (which is reading and writing skills for slower learners), My doctor was amazed with my story, and my early education, and stated that at that point in my life, my IQ was very normal, or slightly below normal, and stated that today, my IQ had risen.

(something that my wife will question.) But the point of this story is, that the doctor stated that it is not normal for IQ to rise as much as it did.

 

Further, she also stated that IQ and early childhood development are very much associated with each other, and that early exposure to the information of the world is critical. But, she also clarified that, by saying that anyone with an inquisitive mind could learn more, at any age, thereby increasing that persons IQ.......so this brings us back to our original question, and my opinion, about people being lazy, selfish and greedy.

 

If information is withheld, then learning is stunted. And isn't IQ really about the ability to learn?

 

Yeah, I disagree, I think the ability is there and not nurtured in most cases, for numerous reasons.

 

But, IMO, the biggest reason, is the Rich and Powerful do not want us to become critical thinkers, because if we did, they would loose their control over the masses.............

 

I applaud Bill Gates for his contribution to man for this reason. And although this is not the subject at hand, I do not think Bill Gates biggest contribution to man is the PC, but his kindness and generosity.  .

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before, a fool could take to the town square, stand on an overturned box, and shout their rhetoric into the wind and be ignored (mostly) by the people around that fool. Eventually, the fool will either run out of breath, or be told in such a fashion that they are being foolish and 'probably' stop shouting it. They'll still hold onto it, but the door to alternative thought will be cracked. "Perhaps... there is more to this than I know". Critical thinking, albeit very slowly.

 

With the echo chambers on the internet (take your pick), a fool has their box but is surrounded (eventually) by other fools on boxes of their own, convincing each other that they are right, rather than being ignored / told off. Strength (of stupidity) in numbers, as it were. No critical thinking, but rather reinforcement of false ideas not rooted in fact.

 

And then those people start doing stupid things, rather than just being stupid themselves collectively. See: March on Washington last year for an example of what I mean. Other instances are around as well.

 

To be clear, I have no issue with people having an idea contrary to mine. I am not the arbiter of the world to which I'm sure a great many can breathe a sigh of relief. I do, however, have a significant issue with people who think their ideas are superior in some way to others without any (real) facts or basis on which that idea is formed. Some other moron on a soapbox shouting their own 'facts' loudly and confidently does not make what they say a fact.

 

I think that last point is the most damning of them all, a loss in comprehension of what constitutes actual fact and the ability for those hearing it to decide for themselves whether to research how true it is by their own means. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's more where people's motivations are than anything.

 

Not everyone is interested in everything and so no one's an expert at everything as a result. However, even someone who may seem "stupid" in politics might be the person you want to go fix your car or build your house and you might get better results hiring them than if you did it yourself. Are these people stupid then?

 

We often seem to have a preconceived notion about what smart and stupid people are, but that notion is going to be different from person to person, so where is that bar then exactly to begin with?

 

I also want to point out that there's being smart as in knowing stuff and being emotionally smart in being able to convey what you know and how you come across to others. A lot of people have 1 of these, but not both of these.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

you don't have to force yourself to become a human encyclopedia, when the information is at your fingertips.

 

play creative games, that make you think and imagine. Crosswords,Chess (there is a lot of neat variants on chess.com) both chess and crosswords help train your brain to deal with real life situations.

 

also social media while not often encourages creative thinking, It can.

 

TV documentaries also encourage thinking and IMO if done correctly have more potential to inspire. as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

 

before i started watching documentaries I never read Studies, and probably never would have without them.

 

 

Well said Petey!

 

I just bought my Grand Son a telescope and a micro scope for his 4th birthday...............it is rated for a 10 year old.

 

But his mother and father from day one, always challenge him to explore, and think......They used to explore slugs through a 

 

magnifying glass, and would look at it for hours...........now the younger sister, is even more interested.

 

So I said what the heck and bought it for him....................he/they will explore, and I could care less if he breaks it, as long as he is exploring!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, brownky said:

Before, a fool could take to the town square, stand on an overturned box, and shout their rhetoric into the wind and be ignored (mostly) by the people around that fool. Eventually, the fool will either run out of breath, or be told in such a fashion that they are being foolish and 'probably' stop shouting it. They'll still hold onto it, but the door to alternative thought will be cracked. "Perhaps... there is more to this than I know". Critical thinking, albeit very slowly.

 

With the echo chambers on the internet (take your pick), a fool has their box but is surrounded (eventually) by other fools on boxes of their own, convincing each other that they are right, rather than being ignored / told off. Strength (of stupidity) in numbers, as it were. No critical thinking, but rather reinforcement of false ideas not rooted in fact.

 

And then those people start doing stupid things, rather than just being stupid themselves collectively. See: March on Washington last year for an example of what I mean. Other instances are around as well.

 

To be clear, I have no issue with people having an idea contrary to mine. I am not the arbiter of the world to which I'm sure a great many can breathe a sigh of relief. I do, however, have a significant issue with people who think their ideas are superior in some way to others without any (real) facts or basis on which that idea is formed. Some other moron on a soapbox shouting their own 'facts' loudly and confidently does not make what they say a fact.

 

I think that last point is the most damning of them all, a loss in comprehension of what constitutes actual fact and the ability for those hearing it to decide for themselves whether to research how true it is by their own means. 

You know Brownky, this is where critical thinking and natural selection take over.................

 

Eventually, people learn to point the gun in the other direction before squeezing the trigger..............

 

and eventually a mutant covid variant, starts to kill off, more of the vaccine nay sayers...........

 

If not Covid than something else

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

 

Not only that but people actually have to think less about the tasks they do. Mechanical assistance or software guidance eliminates the need to think things thru. TV pablum has replaced reading which actually encouraged thinking. 

it also makes us very dependent. 

 

But on the + side,  there are things like some very good podcasts out there that are great listening and about new thoughts and ideas. 99% Invisible is one of my favourites, because it talks about all of the stuff around us that we take for granted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it also makes us very dependent. 

 

But on the + side,  there are things like some very good podcasts out there that are great listening and about new thoughts and ideas. 99% Invisible is one of my favourites, because it talks about all of the stuff around us that we take for granted. 

I got tired to listening to Joe Rogan. Some guests are good but a lot of nuts. 

 

If interested tune into the SpaceShow.com podcast. A lot of very smart people are guests and the open mike has equally interesting people call in. This site is all about space exploration. I wanted to stow away in the trunk of Musk's Tesla but my wife said no! My grand daughter is equally skeptical so I am out numbered. I think mankind needs to get off this planet and gain some perspective. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Problem is when what's being taught in schools is dated compared to what's available even online, and when people stop seeking to learn after they leave school.
That's when you're stuck with dated info without the means to modernize.

Totally agree that lifelong learning is valuable. Not sure if critical thinking, common sense and general knowledge necessarily require up-to-the-minute information and to what extent the internet can help develop these skills. Heck, I had Latin and ancient Greek at school. Can't say I learned much about internet culture there, but it certainly taught me about life, death and values.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...