The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we as a species becoming stupid

Ilunga

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I brought this one up because its an example of how people have given up on their own health and depend on the expensive pee (i.e. vitamin) industry, or have boxes of expensive pre-prepared meals dropped off at 5x the cost of making it, or give in to a fast food lifestyle. Wth a $20 slow cooker and some basic skills, you don't need to depend on anyone for your own nutrition. Anyone with a bit of knowledge can keep themselves fed and healthy for pretty cheaply (assuming no underlying issues of course).

My daughter moved into a place with 5 other people in their 20s, and only two of them had any clue how to make a proper dinner. I bet if you go back 40 years they all could have.

Nutrition is just one thing, there are so many others where we as a culture are giving ourselves over to pre-packed everything. 

Here is the thing Jimmy

What would have happened if none could have cooked? They would have figured it out. I don't think we give enough credit, where credit is due...........

For example. I can not do breaks on a car, I seen my dad do it, it looked simple, but I simply was not interested.......too much sports and girls

But I do think I could do it, with a little help from google or taking the other wheel off as an example, when I have taken off the first one

My point is, when push comes to shove I can do most things ( I in this case is a metaphor for we ) I just believe.

It is much like the second world war in Britain ............they lost alot of surgeons, in the bombings of London, so ordinary people did crazy things, and kept people alive,

never having even been taught the skills.......................what do they say? Necessity is the mother of invention!

I still think common people will invent important discoveries.....and do important things. I just believe!

Edited by janisahockeynut

I'm no expert when it comes to IQ scores.... but isn't it all just relative?

I mean if if everyone's IQ increased by like 30 points, wouldn't the average IQ suddenly be 130?  Or just the 130 be the new median and thus people will re-use 100 for simplicity?

Eugenics.... As controversial as it sounds, there are studies done by many researchers who studies IQ across ethnic groups and found there are relatively vast degree of differences between them.  Visually something akin to this:

Principles of Epidemiology | Lesson 2 - Section 4

Not to say those in group A or group B don't have smart successful people or cannot compete with C's... since hard work will beat skills if skills doesn't work hard... but if intelligence is more or less a genetic trait, are humans getting smarter?  It seems that only way to equal the playing field is to head into genetic engineering or more bio-technological infusing.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is the thing Jimmy

What would have happened if none could have cooked? They would have figured it out. I don't think we give enough credit, where credit is due...........

For example. I can not do breaks on a car, I seen my dad do it, it looked simple, but I simply was not interested.......too much sports and girls

But I do think I could do it, with a little help from google or taking the other wheel off as an example, when I have taken off the first one

My point is, when push comes to shove I can do most things ( I in this case is a metaphor for we ) I just believe.

It is much like the second world war in Britain ............they lost alot of surgeons, in the bombings of London, so ordinary people did crazy things, and kept people alive,

never having even been taught the skills.......................what do they say? Necessity is the mother of invention!

I still think common people will invent important discoveries.....and do important things. I just believe!

but could they do it without Google? :P

I hear what you're saying, but I do wonder about some of the choices people make. I can't recall at the moment which documentary it was that profiled a family in the US that had all their meals by drive though. I mean for gods sake, cook some meals. But when the easy is right at your fingertips its hard for some to resist. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but could they do it without Google? :P

I hear what you're saying, but I do wonder about some of the choices people make. I can't recall at the moment which documentary it was that profiled a family in the US that had all their meals by drive though. I mean for gods sake, cook some meals. But when the easy is right at your fingertips its hard for some to resist. 

No Doubt there are people like that....no doubt

But I think part of the problem now a days is the amount of material put on the internet

You can find anything.......so yes, there are idiots out there, for sure

But on a more serious note

In todays world, if you are accused, you are guilty until proven innocent

Even then, you are guilty

People have always been sheep, through out history

religions, Hilter, Trump, etc..........always have been, always will be

But, I am always reminded of the man accused of rape by someone pissed off at him

and even though it was proven he was not a rapist, his community still looked at him with some doubt

Say it enough times and some will believe it....aka Trump

So, yes! You can always find examples of it

But again, given time, natural selection over rides it, and the real stupid perish.

As will Trump in time

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is my 2 cents worth.........

I think our IQ as man, has gone up............as a few have known more, then ever,  in our history

But we have become lazy, and let other people think for us, and there are many that would just choose to follow, than to actually think, 

of the results of the action. 

But, human nature has shown the corrupt, exactly what to do, to have these people follow blindly

Can we cook a chicken? Well, yes, I believe, with several attempts we could

Make gun power? No, but I know it exists.........build a quantum computer? No, but I understand the concept (generally)

I believe we are smarter....but lazier, greedier, more selfish, so IMO, it appears we don't know........

I disagree, and believe we choose not to take the proper path when presented to us, because of the above issues

IMO, it is such a broad subject.

Take covid for example.........those that do not wear masks, choose not to for the most part, because they are selfish and do not want to be inconvenienced, but secretly go get their shot, because they don't want to die.........(just check out how many republican senators, say one thing then, do another) but by saying they do not believe in the shot, are able to convince the lazy, and selfish not to critically think.

Sure there are people that do not critically think, but that is common since the dinosaur, but push come to shove, they do. Now, for me, the question is not measuring IQ against the past, but measuring it against the academics of the present. I believe we are as a civilization, smarter than we have ever been.

Think about this............there is a teacher in the states that teaches his grade 6 class how to use a DNA CRISPR on yeast cells.......and learn the concepts behind that.  Do you think, you could teach those kids how to cook a chicken.......well of course! To me, intelligence is the exposure to fact, and the ability to reason the difference and the out come......... 

It is such a deep subject, that I do not knw enough about, but I have a unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and am always searching...........

Now, just for the record. When I had my heart attack, I lost alot of my short term memory, and had to go to a Neuro-phycologist for examination and testing. During my testing, my IQ was tested, and a discussion of my up bringing was had. I told my doctor, that as a boy, I had a very hard time in school and was placed in phonics (which is reading and writing skills for slower learners), My doctor was amazed with my story, and my early education, and stated that at that point in my life, my IQ was very normal, or slightly below normal, and stated that today, my IQ had risen.

(something that my wife will question.) But the point of this story is, that the doctor stated that it is not normal for IQ to rise as much as it did.

Further, she also stated that IQ and early childhood development are very much associated with each other, and that early exposure to the information of the world is critical. But, she also clarified that, by saying that anyone with an inquisitive mind could learn more, at any age, thereby increasing that persons IQ.......so this brings us back to our original question, and my opinion, about people being lazy, selfish and greedy.

If information is withheld, then learning is stunted. And isn't IQ really about the ability to learn?

Yeah, I disagree, I think the ability is there and not nurtured in most cases, for numerous reasons.

But, IMO, the biggest reason, is the Rich and Powerful do not want us to become critical thinkers, because if we did, they would loose their control over the masses.............

I applaud Bill Gates for his contribution to man for this reason. And although this is not the subject at hand, I do not think Bill Gates biggest contribution to man is the PC, but his kindness and generosity.  .

eveyone's selfish everyone's greedy and everyone is lazy some more than others. generation after generation the seniors complain about the younger generation.

look at feudalistic japan for instance. the entire nation was murdering raping and pillaging, sometimes genocide. When guns were introduced many believed it was dishonarable or "lazy" and claimed they were detrimental in battles due to loading times and weather durability. only a few clans with young lords started using them in combat, but eventually all changed thier thinking.

sounds alot like the millenials and social media and the older generation? 

Millenials are required to constantly have a online presence and still balance it with IRL social gatherings. If they don't they will be ostracized and won't be able to find a lover, and since the average age of marriage and kids is increased they cant reduce thier social media presence to focus on school or thier careers, After Marriage they are still forced to keep up with social media presence, they don't have much time to do it so they often badwagon on any post that resembles thier POV. it would be a full time job, to actually bring any considerable arguments.

plus it's addicting. whenever you need a morale boost just post something about personal growth,etc..... whenever you need something its magically available to buy the next time you open up facebook, you can gain sympathy by posting about hot topics and how bad other people are because odds are some of thier 500 friends will agree with them and many don't dare/care to argue.

Globally, nearly three quarters of them work over 40 hours with almost a quarter putting in a 50 hour shift on a weekly basis. we ain't lazy, we stressed.

I was 23 when i bought my first house 26 when i bought my second. then 2008 happened the value of my house dropped and never raised back up, my industry i was working in economy dropped in half and in 5 years my wages dropped 33% despite working 60+ hours a week i couldn't keep up, and by the time I tried to sell it was too late. I had my house up for sale for over a year and a half.

5 years in a row i put in over 3000+ hours, now I cant even get a interview in my industry despite my 13+ years of experience.

when i took career counselling in highschool they told me this job would be the highest in demand that suited my skills. at one point In my career I was being interviewed to be survey manager for Stantec for all of North Western Alberta. and now i cant even get a job as a assistant in the field because I'm over qualified.  

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

eveyone's selfish everyone's greedy and everyone is lazy some more than others. generation after generation the seniors complain about the younger generation.

look at feudalistic japan for instance. the entire nation was murdering raping and pillaging, sometimes genocide. When guns were introduced many believed it was dishonarable or "lazy" and claimed they were detrimental in battles due to loading times and weather durability. only a few clans with young lords started using them in combat, but eventually all changed thier thinking.

sounds alot like the millenials and social media and the older generation? 

Millenials are required to constantly have a online presence and still balance it with IRL social gatherings. If they don't they will be ostracized and won't be able to find a lover, and since the average age of marriage and kids is increased they cant reduce thier social media presence to focus on school or thier careers, After Marriage they are still forced to keep up with social media presence, they don't have much time to do it so they often badwagon on any post that resembles thier POV. it would be a full time job, to actually bring any considerable arguments.

plus it's addicting. whenever you need a morale boost just post something about personal growth,etc..... whenever you need something its magically available to buy the next time you open up facebook, you can gain sympathy by posting about hot topics and how bad other people are because odds are some of thier 500 friends will agree with them and many don't dare/care to argue.

Globally, nearly three quarters of them work over 40 hours with almost a quarter putting in a 50 hour shift on a weekly basis. we ain't lazy, we stressed.

I was 23 when i bought my first house 26 when i bought my second. then 2008 happened the value of my house dropped and never raised back up, my industry i was working in economy dropped in half and in 5 years my wages dropped 33% despite working 60+ hours a week i couldn't keep up, and by the time I tried to sell it was too late. I had my house up for sale for over a year and a half.

5 years in a row i put in over 3000+ hours, now I cant even get a interview in my industry despite my 13+ years of experience.

when i took career counselling in highschool they told me this job would be the highest in demand that suited my skills. at one point In my career I was being interviewed to be survey manager for Stantec for all of North Western Alberta. and now i cant even get a job as a assistant in the field because I'm over qualified.  

A terrible story Petey..........There are lots like that, I am afraid.

My son works crazy hours as a mechanic........and the money just seems to fizzle away...........Taxes being a big eater of money

But there alot of entitled people as well

I don't really want to get into here too much

But as a general statement........I think people are smarter today, at least in Canada

But there is more political interference in day to day life.......political correctness, etc.........

Some of it is darn silly, some of it on point

I could go on and on, but won't..............

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No Doubt there are people like that....no doubt

But I think part of the problem now a days is the amount of material put on the internet

You can find anything.......so yes, there are idiots out there, for sure

I guess my worry is that along with a wealth gap, we're also creating a knowledge gap. Sure we have Google, but that thing is also groomed for content. We see what they want us too many times unless you know exactly what you're looking for, or make the effort to be well informed from different sources. 

If I'm right (and hope I'm not tbh) with people getting more and more dependent on companies for everything they do, add that to the wealth gap, and we have a population that is designed to be just consumers vs producers. 

Maybe I'm feeling a little dystopian today but I worry about what we're creating here, and how much capacity future generations will really have. 

But on a more serious note

In todays world, if you are accused, you are guilty until proven innocent

true dat, Jan. Social media is judge, jury and e-executioner now. 

Even then, you are guilty

People have always been sheep, through out history

religions, Hilter, Trump, etc..........always have been, always will be

But, I am always reminded of the man accused of rape by someone pissed off at him

and even though it was proven he was not a rapist, his community still looked at him with some doubt

Say it enough times and some will believe it....aka Trump

So, yes! You can always find examples of it

But again, given time, natural selection over rides it, and the real stupid perish.

As will Trump in time

I'm getting visions of Blade Runner now. We'll see how it all goes :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Are-we-as-a-species-actually-becoming-stupid

So what do my fellow board members believe

Are we actually becoming more stupid ?

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/shakopee_valley_news/news/opinion/columnists/column-it-s-official-intelligence-levels-are-dropping/article_8317aad9-876e-5c1e-804a-55cb6f297361.html

I have believed that our species as a whole has never been as smart as we think we are,myself included.

Better start eating more fish !

We have a 'small talent for war'.^_^

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I'm no expert when it comes to IQ scores.... but isn't it all just relative?

I mean if if everyone's IQ increased by like 30 points, wouldn't the average IQ suddenly be 130?  Or just the 130 be the new median and thus people will re-use 100 for simplicity?

Eugenics.... As controversial as it sounds, there are studies done by many researchers who studies IQ across ethnic groups and found there are relatively vast degree of differences between them.  Visually something akin to this:

Principles of Epidemiology | Lesson 2 - Section 4

Not to say those in group A or group B don't have smart successful people or cannot compete with C's... since hard work will beat skills if skills doesn't work hard... but if intelligence is more or less a genetic trait, are humans getting smarter?  It seems that only way to equal the playing field is to head into genetic engineering or more bio-technological infusing.  

Actually not Langcaster

I read a report once that

Income and Ethnic traits have alot to do with IQ

The lower the income the lower the IQ

The greater emphasis that is put on teaching at a early age the higher the IQ

This all means in "general" that people who work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, will raise kids with lower IQ's

Of course that can be changed if someone else does the teaching, but it stands to reason, that if you need to work extra hours

you will not have the time to teach. Nutrition also has a huge impact on health in general and IQ as part of that

World wide it is a bloody mess, when you think about it.

Funny enough the study I read was that Asians in general have the highest IQ per cap, Caucasians the second highest, and Africans the next.

And then you look at standards of living and you see that Caucasians have the best standard of living, so what are Asians doing to raise the bar?

I would argue it is discipline, in the family whole, where the oldest sibling and the grand parent, have roles in the education of the children.

Africans, have it the worst in nutrition and economic conditions in general.

These are averages and dangerous if taken out of context, but prove that environmental conditions, have a large say in development.

I would also say that exposure to new concepts/products/idea's are not as easily obtained in parts of Africa, so it goes to figure..........

I would bet a lot of money, that if you flipped these people around and Caucasians lived in the African environment, the same things would occur.

It is all very interesting, and underlines why we should as the civilization man(woman) should help our fellow man, as much as possible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i resemble that remark. we are deffinately not as smart as we think we are. no one is. however, we are who we are. we will all be accepted into heaven when we die.

You're not as think as you smart you are Joe. I hope you don't die soon, I like reading your comments and you seem like a really wise man. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

I don't think there has been a significant change. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean the species as a whole doesn't have problems. There is a Sci-Fi author, Robert A. Heinlein, who observed, through one of his main characters, to "never underestimate the power of human stupidity". This was meant as a generalized observation of humanity in general, not any one particular person. The quote is from his book "Time Enough For Love", published in 1973. So, no, this is nothing new. It is centuries old, honestly. Just think about all the large scale wars mankind has fought. How many of the victors actually started the conflict? Answer is, precious few. Witness both WWI and WWII. The countries starting them...ended up losing and losing badly. Do you think is was an intelligent idea to start the war? Knowing what history had witnessed to that point? There ya go!

Thank you Father. Wars are started over egos, ideals and possession mainly. The Hitler we know from history was actually very charismatic and opportunistic and terribly flawed. Go back through history and you find that many of these aggressors were the same. Napoleon, Augustus, Julius, Genghis, the iist goes on and on. 

Here is good site to study the philosophy of aggression and war. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/14679221

But I digress, we can be turds at times. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Are-we-as-a-species-actually-becoming-stupid

So what do my fellow board members believe

Are we actually becoming more stupid ?

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/shakopee_valley_news/news/opinion/columnists/column-it-s-official-intelligence-levels-are-dropping/article_8317aad9-876e-5c1e-804a-55cb6f297361.html

I have believed that our species as a whole has never been as smart as we think we are,myself included.

Better start eating more fish !

The Texas Rangers played the Blue Jays today in Texas and they (Texas) had full fans in attendance, most of whom were not wearing masks or physically distancing themselves.

I don’t think there’s enough fish in the world to make Texans intelligent unfortunately.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not just taking about the 1% smart, its the enduring intelligence of all of our collective knowledge and systems where our smarts really reside.

But as people? how many people know how to cook a whole chicken anymore? grow a garden? fix their house? have actual transferable skills outside of their cubicle? many jobs have become very push button and/or follow a basic instruction set that doesn't really require much thought. You can get by now and make a living on not much brain effort. 

You are correct Jimmy. We have become a sheep society. I am not terribly old (50s) and I can do all those things you mentioned. But are people just not choosing to know these things to just follow the path of least resistance? The world we live in has changed exponentially, especially over the course of the last 150 years (and throughout time/history). I think people are not stupid but likely overwhelmed with our society, advancement, ideology, policies, etc. I am guessing that if we all had the time to reflect, educate and theorize carefully, we might not care about so called stupidity, as it would not exist. But unfortunately, that is not human nature (myself included). End rant, thanks for reading. :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

college enrollment at all time high. to go to school to compete for jobs with a aging work force that won't seem to retire, higher unemployment across the board. Working as much as 20% more hours for lower wages that buy less. were arrested more despite fewer crimes reported. smoke less, drink less, and do less drugs (except pot) we  drive smaller cars with better fuel economy,and  were more likely to take public transport. on top of that we have a social media requirement or forever be shunned as a weirdo. we take  less vacations, and when we do take them they are shorter and closer to home. fewer have cable and almost none have landlines. 50-75% of us suffer from the "impostor syndrome"  because so many of you constantly berate us with constant harassments that not only you say to our faces but also behind our backs and constantly online. More of us grow up in poverty and will stay in poverty, more of us are depressed (many of you know what that feels now due to covid)

so excuse us for spending some of our hard earned dollars that buys back a hour of our  time so we can reinvest that time mutitasking on social media, while watching anumb brain stupid comedy that gives a few actual LOL.

oh by the way the amount saved from not owning a car  - outweighs the cost of getting your food delivered. food for thought if your ever in a tough jam or want to maybe contribute in the climate change crisis.

Flame away,  say whatever that makes you feel superior to us. Enjoy your high horse while it lasts, life is short.

https://musingsofamindfulmillennial.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/millennials-impostor-syndrome/

https://www.smartertravel.com/millennial-travel-trips/

https://www.futurity.org/millennials-arrests-2055642/ 

https://archive.attn.com/stories/8612/how-many-hours-millennials-work-around-the-world#:~:text=On average%2C Millennials in the U.S. work 45,Census - minneapolisfed.org It isn't just American Millennials.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/996530/median-age-global-labor-force-years/

https://college-education.procon.org/history-of-college-education/

https://www.parentwise.ca/looking-back-cost-university-education-canada/

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/101314/what-does-current-cost-living-compare-20-years-ago.asp

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/archive/millennials/

7 hours ago, hero11 said:

100% yes, we are. Facebook and laziness are the root of the stupidity. 

Although I understand you intention, I will have to respectfully disagree to the Facebook mention. Laziness on the other hand, totally on point there. Stupid AND Smart people use facebook, it's how they use it that clarifies which side of intelligence to which they belong. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zimmy said:

The question I wrestle with more these days is if we are becoming more selfish. Is dancing drunk and in close proximity and on top of tables in a Big White pub an act of stupidity or is it a case of blatant disregard and conscious shelfish behavior? I have growing concerns that it is the latter that is going to challenge the human race more in the near future.

I agree, but I hope we don't become shellfish, they are really dumb, but in my opinion very tasty.

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is my 2 cents worth.........

I think our IQ as man, has gone up............as a few have known more, then ever,  in our history

But we have become lazy, and let other people think for us, and there are many that would just choose to follow, than to actually think, 

of the results of the action. 

But, human nature has shown the corrupt, exactly what to do, to have these people follow blindly

Can we cook a chicken? Well, yes, I believe, with several attempts we could

Make gun power? No, but I know it exists.........build a quantum computer? No, but I understand the concept (generally)

I believe we are smarter....but lazier, greedier, more selfish, so IMO, it appears we don't know........

I disagree, and believe we choose not to take the proper path when presented to us, because of the above issues

IMO, it is such a broad subject.

Take covid for example.........those that do not wear masks, choose not to for the most part, because they are selfish and do not want to be inconvenienced, but secretly go get their shot, because they don't want to die.........(just check out how many republican senators, say one thing then, do another) but by saying they do not believe in the shot, are able to convince the lazy, and selfish not to critically think.

Sure there are people that do not critically think, but that is common since the dinosaur, but push come to shove, they do. Now, for me, the question is not measuring IQ against the past, but measuring it against the academics of the present. I believe we are as a civilization, smarter than we have ever been.

Think about this............there is a teacher in the states that teaches his grade 6 class how to use a DNA CRISPR on yeast cells.......and learn the concepts behind that.  Do you think, you could teach those kids how to cook a chicken.......well of course! To me, intelligence is the exposure to fact, and the ability to reason the difference and the out come......... 

It is such a deep subject, that I do not knw enough about, but I have a unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and am always searching...........

Now, just for the record. When I had my heart attack, I lost alot of my short term memory, and had to go to a Neuro-phycologist for examination and testing. During my testing, my IQ was tested, and a discussion of my up bringing was had. I told my doctor, that as a boy, I had a very hard time in school and was placed in phonics (which is reading and writing skills for slower learners), My doctor was amazed with my story, and my early education, and stated that at that point in my life, my IQ was very normal, or slightly below normal, and stated that today, my IQ had risen.

(something that my wife will question.) But the point of this story is, that the doctor stated that it is not normal for IQ to rise as much as it did.

Further, she also stated that IQ and early childhood development are very much associated with each other, and that early exposure to the information of the world is critical. But, she also clarified that, by saying that anyone with an inquisitive mind could learn more, at any age, thereby increasing that persons IQ.......so this brings us back to our original question, and my opinion, about people being lazy, selfish and greedy.

If information is withheld, then learning is stunted. And isn't IQ really about the ability to learn?

Yeah, I disagree, I think the ability is there and not nurtured in most cases, for numerous reasons.

But, IMO, the biggest reason, is the Rich and Powerful do not want us to become critical thinkers, because if we did, they would loose their control over the masses.............

I applaud Bill Gates for his contribution to man for this reason. And although this is not the subject at hand, I do not think Bill Gates biggest contribution to man is the PC, but his kindness and generosity.  .

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings Jan. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, brownky said:

Before, a fool could take to the town square, stand on an overturned box, and shout their rhetoric into the wind and be ignored (mostly) by the people around that fool. Eventually, the fool will either run out of breath, or be told in such a fashion that they are being foolish and 'probably' stop shouting it. They'll still hold onto it, but the door to alternative thought will be cracked. "Perhaps... there is more to this than I know". Critical thinking, albeit very slowly.

With the echo chambers on the internet (take your pick), a fool has their box but is surrounded (eventually) by other fools on boxes of their own, convincing each other that they are right, rather than being ignored / told off. Strength (of stupidity) in numbers, as it were. No critical thinking, but rather reinforcement of false ideas not rooted in fact.

And then those people start doing stupid things, rather than just being stupid themselves collectively. See: March on Washington last year for an example of what I mean. Other instances are around as well.

To be clear, I have no issue with people having an idea contrary to mine. I am not the arbiter of the world to which I'm sure a great many can breathe a sigh of relief. I do, however, have a significant issue with people who think their ideas are superior in some way to others without any (real) facts or basis on which that idea is formed. Some other moron on a soapbox shouting their own 'facts' loudly and confidently does not make what they say a fact.

I think that last point is the most damning of them all, a loss in comprehension of what constitutes actual fact and the ability for those hearing it to decide for themselves whether to research how true it is by their own means. 

Thanks Brownky, eloquently stated.

• Thanks 1