The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we as a species becoming stupid

4 hours ago, brownky said:

Before, a fool could take to the town square, stand on an overturned box, and shout their rhetoric into the wind and be ignored (mostly) by the people around that fool. Eventually, the fool will either run out of breath, or be told in such a fashion that they are being foolish and 'probably' stop shouting it. They'll still hold onto it, but the door to alternative thought will be cracked. "Perhaps... there is more to this than I know". Critical thinking, albeit very slowly.

With the echo chambers on the internet (take your pick), a fool has their box but is surrounded (eventually) by other fools on boxes of their own, convincing each other that they are right, rather than being ignored / told off. Strength (of stupidity) in numbers, as it were. No critical thinking, but rather reinforcement of false ideas not rooted in fact.

And then those people start doing stupid things, rather than just being stupid themselves collectively. See: March on Washington last year for an example of what I mean. Other instances are around as well.

To be clear, I have no issue with people having an idea contrary to mine. I am not the arbiter of the world to which I'm sure a great many can breathe a sigh of relief. I do, however, have a significant issue with people who think their ideas are superior in some way to others without any (real) facts or basis on which that idea is formed. Some other moron on a soapbox shouting their own 'facts' loudly and confidently does not make what they say a fact.

I think that last point is the most damning of them all, a loss in comprehension of what constitutes actual fact and the ability for those hearing it to decide for themselves whether to research how true it is by their own means. 

Thanks Brownky, eloquently stated.

• Thanks 1

Intelligence for the sake of it? To what end..where is this all going?

Is today's digital/tech age producing generations & societies that are becoming more fragmented? I'd give that a yea.

Have we realized some kinda 'shared vision', leaving war, empire-building & dirty politics behind?

Bet we all know the answer to that one.

Have often been outspoken with mistrusting the propaganda/group-think, that it seems we're(mostly) all overindulging in. Disingenuous media controlled by diabolical elites. It's not a pretty sight.

With nearly 8 billion souls on this rock, competition becomes more fierce. Does intelligence help us sort issues such a Grand Canyon-esque gap, between the Haves & Nots? Or simply assist the more intelligent to further rape & plunder?

It's just ONE attribute. There are a Helluva' lot more required, to create healthy, contributing individuals & ultimately, societies.

edit: Btw Ilunga, thanks for an interesting question/topic.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
47 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings Jan. 

Do you agree with me, or are you against what I say.......all is good either way?

I just can't tell ????

Ok, got it! Sorry and thanks! 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Hydration 1
8 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

PowerlessAffectionateAtlanticbluetang-si

It is alleged that "death by selfie" is now a cuase of death on medical reports.

I try to be a good person, but when some moron is walking towards me, yaking on a phone, with no idea I'm there; I fight myself almost every time as to wether I going to  just run them over.

• Hydration 2

Are we speaking about common sense or intelligence? They’re not always the same thing. 

My two cents is that humanity has always had elements of stupidity and it may always carry that forward. 

People nowadays are inundated with stupidity through social media. The inane and banal is now somehow unique and supposedly interesting. People put less effort into the average tasks they do. And a huge amount of the human population has lost complete connection to their mammalian instinct. 

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

college enrollment at all time high. to go to school to compete for jobs with a aging work force that won't seem to retire, higher unemployment across the board. Working as much as 20% more hours for lower wages that buy less. were arrested more despite fewer crimes reported. smoke less, drink less, and do less drugs (except pot) we  drive smaller cars with better fuel economy,and  were more likely to take public transport. on top of that we have a social media requirement or forever be shunned as a weirdo. we take  less vacations, and when we do take them they are shorter and closer to home. fewer have cable and almost none have landlines. 50-75% of us suffer from the "impostor syndrome"  because so many of you constantly berate us with constant harassments that not only you say to our faces but also behind our backs and constantly online. More of us grow up in poverty and will stay in poverty, more of us are depressed (many of you know what that feels now due to covid)

so excuse us for spending some of our hard earned dollars that buys back a hour of our  time so we can reinvest that time mutitasking on social media, while watching anumb brain stupid comedy that gives a few actual LOL.

oh by the way the amount saved from not owning a car  - outweighs the cost of getting your food delivered. food for thought if your ever in a tough jam or want to maybe contribute in the climate change crisis.

Flame away,  say whatever that makes you feel superior to us. Enjoy your high horse while it lasts, life is short.

https://musingsofamindfulmillennial.wordpress.com/2016/11/04/millennials-impostor-syndrome/

https://www.smartertravel.com/millennial-travel-trips/

https://www.futurity.org/millennials-arrests-2055642/ 

https://archive.attn.com/stories/8612/how-many-hours-millennials-work-around-the-world#:~:text=On average%2C Millennials in the U.S. work 45,Census - minneapolisfed.org It isn't just American Millennials.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/996530/median-age-global-labor-force-years/

https://college-education.procon.org/history-of-college-education/

https://www.parentwise.ca/looking-back-cost-university-education-canada/

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/101314/what-does-current-cost-living-compare-20-years-ago.asp

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/archive/millennials/

What does any of this have to do with our intelligence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, gurn said:

It is alleged that "death by selfie" is now a cuase of death on medical reports.

I try to be a good person, but when some moron is walking towards me, yaking on a phone, with no idea I'm there; I fight myself almost every time as to wether I going to  just run them over.

I’ve run some over who failed to pay attention. Even yelled out “eyes up” beforehand to assist them in avoiding collision. In the end, their self obsessed need to use their phone won out, and they lost the war with gravity shortly thereafter.

They’re called morons, gurn. No need to feel that it makes you seem less of a good person to despise the actions of the unaware. I can attest to your intelligence and positive influence on here, my friend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You are correct Jimmy. We have become a sheep society. I am not terribly old (50s) and I can do all those things you mentioned. But are people just not choosing to know these things to just follow the path of least resistance? The world we live in has changed exponentially, especially over the course of the last 150 years (and throughout time/history). I think people are not stupid but likely overwhelmed with our society, advancement, ideology, policies, etc. I am guessing that if we all had the time to reflect, educate and theorize carefully, we might not care about so called stupidity, as it would not exist. But unfortunately, that is not human nature (myself included). End rant, thanks for reading. :)

yeah thats a good point, being overwhelmed/overstimulated could be part of the dulling. I do think people have the capacity they've always had, but we're not using it as much has we could be. 

• Hydration 1
17 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

What does any of this have to do with our intelligence?

i'm not the only one off topic, simply trying to silence the trend of misguided millenial hate.

it mostly worked

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Intelligence for the sake of it? To what end..where is this all going?

Is today's digital/tech age producing generations & societies that are becoming more fragmented? I'd give that a yea.

Have we realized some kinda 'shared vision', leaving war, empire-building & dirty politics behind?

Bet we all know the answer to that one.

Have often been outspoken with mistrusting the propaganda/group-think, that it seems we're(mostly) all overindulging in. Disingenuous media controlled by diabolical elites. It's not a pretty sight.

With nearly 8 billion souls on this rock, competition becomes more fierce. Does intelligence help us sort issues such a Grand Canyon-esque gap, between the Haves & Nots? Or simply assist the more intelligent to further rape & plunder?

It's just ONE attribute. There are a Helluva' lot more required, to create healthy, contributing individuals & ultimately, societies.

edit: Btw Ilunga, thanks for an interesting question/topic.

yes why not? extend our knowledge as far as we can. 

E.g., we're about to fly a helicopter on another planet. Thats just freaking insane and in many ways the best our species has done in terms of engineering. 

And yet, 10x more people want more of this:

Donald Trump GIF by Justin Gammon

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People nowadays are inundated with stupidity through social media. The inane and banal is now somehow unique and supposedly interesting. People put less effort into the average tasks they do.

endorphin addiction, the brains empty calories. 

40 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And a huge amount of the human population has lost complete connection to their mammalian instinct. 

you lost me here Phil. 

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i'm not the only one off topic, simply trying to silence the trend of misguided millenial hate.

it mostly worked

The millennial slander will not be tolerated!

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes why not? extend our knowledge as far as we can. 

E.g., we're about to fly a helicopter on another planet. Thats just freaking insane and in many ways the best our species has done in terms of engineering. 

And yet, 10x more people want more of this:

Donald Trump GIF by Justin Gammon

It's just a random example. Consider the nuclear industry, as another.

Look at what a nuclear war could do to the planet. Yest I was reading 9 countries have the capability now; & they highlighted moments in history where uncertainty(or even a poss computer glitch) has brought us to the brink of catastrophe.

When merely used as energy, it's brought us ongoing tragedies like Chernobyl & Fukushima. I'm sure plenty of smart, influential folks were involved in the design & utilization of such projects.

Does confidence morph into hubris & arrogance with a surplus of intelligence(not really so diff than money & power)? Do we(as a species) lose a sense of humility, when we feel we've mastered one realm, or another?

I'll leave such questions for better minds than my own. On a personal level, will only say I'm very skeptical that human intelligence will sort out the myriad problems & predicaments the 21st C features.

On a global scale, it's difficult enough defining(w/agreement) the most important issues, let alone approaches to remedy them.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Actually not Langcaster

I read a report once that

Income and Ethnic traits have alot to do with IQ

The lower the income the lower the IQ

The greater emphasis that is put on teaching at a early age the higher the IQ

This all means in "general" that people who work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, will raise kids with lower IQ's

Of course that can be changed if someone else does the teaching, but it stands to reason, that if you need to work extra hours

you will not have the time to teach. Nutrition also has a huge impact on health in general and IQ as part of that

World wide it is a bloody mess, when you think about it.

Funny enough the study I read was that Asians in general have the highest IQ per cap, Caucasians the second highest, and Africans the next.

And then you look at standards of living and you see that Caucasians have the best standard of living, so what are Asians doing to raise the bar?

I would argue it is discipline, in the family whole, where the oldest sibling and the grand parent, have roles in the education of the children.

Africans, have it the worst in nutrition and economic conditions in general.

These are averages and dangerous if taken out of context, but prove that environmental conditions, have a large say in development.

I would also say that exposure to new concepts/products/idea's are not as easily obtained in parts of Africa, so it goes to figure..........

I would bet a lot of money, that if you flipped these people around and Caucasians lived in the African environment, the same things would occur.

It is all very interesting, and underlines why we should as the civilization man(woman) should help our fellow man, as much as possible.

The whole nature versus nurture.  

It's true that cultural norms may affect educational and intellectual potential... but then it goes to a chicken vs egg argument.  Are Asians 

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I know the feeling... but are you then not the jerk for just assuming they should see you and get out of they way?

31 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The whole nature versus nurture.  

It's true that cultural norms may affect educational and intellectual potential... but then it goes to a chicken vs egg argument.  Are Asians 

Could you finish your sentence please..................

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People nowadays are inundated with stupidity through social media. The inane and banal is now somehow unique and supposedly interesting. People put less effort into the average tasks they do. And a huge amount of the human population has lost complete connection to their mammalian instinct. 

interesting choice of words, I never continued my education past public school. I wasn't totally sure on the meaning of these words, so i looked up the origins of them.

It's funny how words used by peasant's in ancient history are now used to get the readers attention and provoke thought.I never knew that before, I wonder in two hundred years, if people will be using words like cray-cray or Ya'll in the same manner.

Working in alberta in the oil-field industry you always used the most commonplace word, something everyone could understand. in emegency situations, a misunderstanding could get someone hurt (and if it didn't you probably would get written up). often times we communicate without speaking a word, but more frequently we usually speak and sign at the same time. Repeating yourself often causes the speaker to get closer, and speak directly in your ear. no one wants that, especially with covid and even worse you might get  a whiff of what they had for breakfast.

Edited by Petey_BOI