Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we as a species becoming stupid


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes why not? extend our knowledge as far as we can. 

 

E.g., we're about to fly a helicopter on another planet. Thats just freaking insane and in many ways the best our species has done in terms of engineering. 

 

And yet, 10x more people want more of this:

 

Donald Trump GIF by Justin Gammon

honestly that probably could have happened 20+ years ago if people didn't prioritize money over the betterment of civilization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Could you finish your sentence please..................

My bad... my toddler was messing with the comp.

 

To continue....

Are certain geographical locations, ethnic group or area with certain cultural norms becomes an unending feedback loop?

That the rich gets richer and poor gets poorer.  High IQ location gains more leverage and the poorer IQ location does worse and worse as times goes by. 

 

North America is relatively a blank slate compared to other countries in the world, but even different cultural/ethnic groups still have different social, educational, economical outcomes.  Lots of people with nothing more than the clothing on their backs and still able to survive and thrive, some more so than others.  

 

Plus with changing age demographics too.  That poorer places are most of the planet's population growth, ever more stretching limited local resources.  More prosperous places with lower birth rates with resources being more concentrated.  

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I know the feeling... but are you then not the jerk for just assuming they should see you and get out of they way?

i think homicidal thoughts are common, especially when you know the circumstances. Gurn i imagie is talking about people that in thier right mind  have no buisness being on the phone. think crowded parking lots or even worse approaching your vehicle from your blindspot, even public roads.

 

the saying better to be alive then dead right, comes to mind when thinking of these careless doh-tards. I have more choice words for them, but I reserve them for special occasions usually when fired up by cheap beer.

 

You always know an attentive pedestrian is usually a thoughtful person and probably a decent driver themselves. if the pedestrian is attentive and waits signals your attention to proceed i always  take charge give em a wave and a nod showing my respect. on the other hand the inattentive pedestrian demands respect while offering the driver none, they might as well be giving me the middle finger.

Edited by Petey_BOI
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

My bad... my toddler was messing with the comp.

 

To continue....

Are certain geographical locations, ethnic group or area with certain cultural norms becomes an unending feedback loop?

That the rich gets richer and poor gets poorer.  High IQ location gains more leverage and the poorer IQ location does worse and worse as times goes by. 

 

North America is relatively a blank slate compared to other countries in the world, but even different cultural/ethnic groups still have different social, educational, economical outcomes.  Lots of people with nothing more than the clothing on their backs and still able to survive and thrive, some more so than others.  

 

Plus with changing age demographics too.  That poorer places are most of the planet's population growth, ever more stretching limited local resources.  More prosperous places with lower birth rates with resources being more concentrated.  

Just to remind what I said was about averages............one offs or certain groups in poor countries can still have extremely high IQ's, so social economic conditions are proven to be a factor, when nurtured. 

 

I am of the belief that life evolves in a progressive forward motion, bigger, smarter, faster.......again on average

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

here's a maybe even scarier idea to add the OP:

 

Are we getting less emotionally intelligent as well? 

There has been some really good posts however you pose a great question,are we getting less emotionally intelligent ?

 

How would we gauge this ?

 

https://intellitest.me/en/play/L03S3N/start?gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x7oGbN_20UYH2zbV-zXRy74JCiyKobM-Hw-y_0e5w6h6lfFSF8NLZxoC6UYQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=7836069&utm_content=am+i+emotionally+intelligent&utm_medium=cad_as_us-uk-au-ca_pho-tab-web_40q_eq_int_mkt&utm_source=62

 

Here is an emotional intelligence test.

I scored 135.

That seems high but I answered the questions honestly.

 

There was a great quote from that site 

 

" It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently". 

Fyodor Dostoyevsky 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the whole "the new generation is dumb" is a narrative constructed by older people to make them feel better as their knowledge loses value. Previously "intelligence" was often synonymous with knowing a lot, this is no longer the case, as everyone has the entirety of the internet at their disposal at all times, so being able to rattle off the capital cities of all European countries is no longer valued, as you can just Google the information if you were to need it. Another thing is that as society changes different information is valued, most younger people (that I know anyways) do not know as much about birds as older people do, but all young people can do their taxes online and will not accidentally lose all their money since they gave a sketchy website their credit card info. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 6:17 AM, Ilunga said:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Are-we-as-a-species-actually-becoming-stupid

 

So what do my fellow board members believe

 

Are we actually becoming more stupid ?

 

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/shakopee_valley_news/news/opinion/columnists/column-it-s-official-intelligence-levels-are-dropping/article_8317aad9-876e-5c1e-804a-55cb6f297361.html

 

I have believed that our species as a whole has never been as smart as we think we are,myself included.

 

Better start eating more fish !

 

Becoming more stupid? With all the craziness going on in the world, perhaps people are just beginning to realize that as a species, we've been intellectually defunct from the beginning...

 

 

b74e6065bd7583d218d0f9495899b81d.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AriGold said:

It all has to do about Left vs Right. 

 

Each side thinks the other are idiots. the separation is increasing.

 

1276_left_right_usa.png

It's called the Hegelian Dialectic.... the power brokers of society employ dialectical thinking and philosophy to establish a thesis and an antithesis, which results in a synthesis of both/multiple sides.  The psychological & philosophical manipulation of the masses via the illusion of choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

It's called the Hegelian Dialectic.... the power brokers of society employ dialectical thinking and philosophy to establish a thesis and an antithesis, which results in a synthesis of both/multiple sides.  The psychological & philosophical manipulation of the masses via the illusion of choice.

Mean Girls Reaction GIF by filmeditor - Find & Share on GIPHY

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

There has been some really good posts however you pose a great question,are we getting less emotionally intelligent ?

 

How would we gauge this ?

 

https://intellitest.me/en/play/L03S3N/start?gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x7oGbN_20UYH2zbV-zXRy74JCiyKobM-Hw-y_0e5w6h6lfFSF8NLZxoC6UYQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=7836069&utm_content=am+i+emotionally+intelligent&utm_medium=cad_as_us-uk-au-ca_pho-tab-web_40q_eq_int_mkt&utm_source=62

 

Here is an emotional intelligence test.

I scored 135.

That seems high but I answered the questions honestly.

 

There was a great quote from that site 

 

" It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently". 

Fyodor Dostoyevsky 

 

 

There are a lot of ways to test it. A buddy of mine is a consultant for corporate types, and EI is a big part of what he does. According to him, most C-level people he coaches are running on anger and fear most of the time. 

 

With the rest of us, I do wonder what social media is doing to us. It seems like we are happy to rush to judgment and cancel people - which does happen on "both sides" of the political spectrum - and I wonder if the ease if social media judgement is hurting us even more than the push button lifestyles we have now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Goat James said:

I think the whole "the new generation is dumb" is a narrative constructed by older people to make them feel better as their knowledge loses value. Previously "intelligence" was often synonymous with knowing a lot, this is no longer the case, as everyone has the entirety of the internet at their disposal at all times, so being able to rattle off the capital cities of all European countries is no longer valued, as you can just Google the information if you were to need it. Another thing is that as society changes different information is valued, most younger people (that I know anyways) do not know as much about birds as older people do, but all young people can do their taxes online and will not accidentally lose all their money since they gave a sketchy website their credit card info. 

There is no reasonable argument to suggest that the new generation is dumb. Remember though that as my generation had access to encyclopedias and this new generation has the knowledge of the internet available, access to knowledge doesn’t equal intelligence. Just as it has always been, the people who take advantage will flourish and the others...not so much. The internet and social media has fattened both ends of the scale.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There is no reasonable argument to suggest that the new generation is dumb. Remember though that as my generation had access to encyclopedias and this new generation has the knowledge of the internet available, access to knowledge doesn’t equal intelligence. Just as it has always been, the people who take advantage will flourish and the others...not so much. The internet and social media has fattened both ends of the scale.

its not a question of capacity, more of expectations. If we're making things too easy that's not a good thing. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s social media’s fault. Communication through text is the worst form of communication. 
 

Person A says one thing and means one thing Person B reads/perceives it as another thing entirely and judges person A accordingly. No elaboration is accepted, misinformation(aka fake news) is created. On Twitter you get only so many texts to state your opinion on serious topics. Makes it easier to misinterpret. 

 

That’s just one way social media sucks. There are multiple ways.

I do fear for the younger generation. I hope that they become more individually responsible because it seems like over the years we’ve slowly become much more reliant on others. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

There are a lot of ways to test it. A buddy of mine is a consultant for corporate types, and EI is a big part of what he does. According to him, most C-level people he coaches are running on anger and fear most of the time. 

 

With the rest of us, I do wonder what social media is doing to us. It seems like we are happy to rush to judgment and cancel people - which does happen on "both sides" of the political spectrum - and I wonder if the ease if social media judgement is hurting us even more than the push button lifestyles we have now.

It's curious to note that many posts/ posters mention politics.

 

I wonder if I started a thread on this topic on a message board in a non western country if the replies would focus as much on politics.

 

As for social media this board is the only form of it I use.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Irony, you don't seem to like him telling you to shut up. Yet post meme's expressing support for people saying what they want?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...