The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested with 2-3 year deal with Pearson

Also it's not the "end of the world" if we do re-sign him.   But every 250-500k counts at this point.   To me this is about making sure the team has enough to compete and make the playoffs in our own division next season.   Pearson is not a top six guy on a good team.   Much rather go after Hyman.   That makes any line better and plays like Motte and Hogs every shift.   Coleman is also available.   One in hand and two in the bush sort of thing so do get JB a thinking on this.   Don't have all the information, but based on the "eye" test, and what else is going to come available .... just don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Don't expect 30 points from Pearson on the third line anymore.   He couldn't barely do anything in PIT.   

• Upvote 1

Didn’t benning himself say we need another two years before we are competitive?

Why sign a third line winger to an inflated contract when said winger has produced at a very low clip the last 15 or so months? Strange.

Hopefully this is just posturing.

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well...yeah it does suck.    Doesn't mean we have to sign him either.    I have zero clue what sort of moxy he's got with the team, but like others do understand trepidation when it comes to signing UFAs.   JB says the team is two years away.    So don't make it a three year deal please. 

People read Way Way to much into JB’s comments about being 2 years away 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Perhaps this is the lack of sleep talking here, is the point that the Canucks choose to play Pettersson against elite competition, or is it that the opposition coaches (given the choice) will play their elite lines against Pettersson so as to get away from Horvat (who is far better at faceoffs)?

regards,  G.

that is tough to say, you would have to analyze whoever has last change when green deploys petey with last change over bo vs elite it shows he trusts him in that situation more "theoretically" but this only applies to half the games and faceoffs only acount for 20% of line changes

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

agreed we are like 2 years away from being a playoff contender. we still need 3 to 4 homerun picks/prospects (top 6 F/ top4 d) to develop before we start to become a serious contender. I also suppose if we traded for players like schmidt and miller thos could count towards the 3 or 4 players.

also we probably need dipietro to graduate in the next year or two

55 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya pearson isnt that good a player points or not 

So you just don't like him and there is nothing to debate about what makes him good and what makes him bad, got it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

From where i'm sitting have to agree.   Next season we should make the playoffs in our own division unless Seattle comes out like Vegas did - in that case well, we are in trouble.    Don't think they will be so lucky, but you never know.   EDM is going to be a good team for quite some time, CAL ... should be a good team for quite some time who knows what the heck is going on over there.   We are a young team.    CAR is probably our closet comp and looking at how well they are doing for sure gives some hope.   I like JB but am not convinced this is a contending team yet.   A good one yes.  

52 minutes ago, CR7 said:

So you just don't like him and there is nothing to debate about what makes him good and what makes him bad, got it.

ya u dont pay a player 3.75 million for 11 points in  30 games     minus player last 4 yrs  ya give him an extension   benning is laughable theres a reason we keep finishing  in bottom 10 of league garbage vet contracts like sutter eriksson roussel beagle holtby  the list goes on  

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

From where i'm sitting have to agree.   Next season we should make the playoffs in our own division unless Seattle comes out like Vegas did - in that case well, we are in trouble.    Don't think they will be so lucky, but you never know.   EDM is going to be a good team for quite some time, CAL ... should be a good team for quite some time who knows what the heck is going on over there.   We are a young team.    CAR is probably our closet comp and looking at how well they are doing for sure gives some hope.   I like JB but am not convinced this is a contending team yet.   A good one yes.  

calgary is a worst team than us this yr with older players  not sure where u think they are a good team  they have won 2 of 9

25 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

calgary is a worst team than us this yr with older players  not sure where u think they are a good team  they have won 2 of 9

Because all the "experts" had them either first or second in our division going into the season ... and they are at the right age 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Pretty much exactly what I mean. We are close to being a playoff team. It could happen as early as next year.

But we are still building a team so that in 2-4 years we are a true contender.

JB had come out and try and settle the fan base because expectations had grown since the bubble. But some fans got pissed with the 7 years blah blah blah. But it’s not 7 years at all it’s been more like 3 or 4 since a more real rebuild started.. 

Anyways point I’m making is the GM and Owner seem to be in line on staying the course but that doesn’t necessarily mean we are saying screw the next years we can’t compete. Cause we are pretty darn close. We should be a fringe playoff team over the next couple years, may get it in, may not. But they aren’t going to sit there and pretend like they aren’t trying to win. They are still going to put the best team forward without sacrificing the future. And no signing Pearson for a couple years isn’t sacrifice the future. At this point we probably aren’t trading anyone at the deadline. They are either injured or in protocol and it’s just too close to the deadline at this point.

Talking to Pearson and his agent is smart. Yes there are other fish in the sea. But you can’t just go into free agency expecting to pick up the players you want or making dumb mock trades like the Palat one I saw on here. What makes a person think they can get Palat who has a NTC and is third in scoring forwards on Tampa Bay. 

People make it sound so easy to be a GM, they think everyone and their dog would sign in Vancouver when in reality there’s options all over the league. Players have needs, families etc. It’s not as easy as oh just trade injured Pearson or oh just sign another plug for league minimum 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Pretty much exactly what I mean. We are close to being a playoff team. It could happen as early as next year.

But we are still building a team so that in 2-4 years we are a true contender.

JB had come out and try and settle the fan base because expectations had grown since the bubble. But some fans got pissed with the 7 years blah blah blah. But it’s not 7 years at all it’s been more like 3 or 4 since a more real rebuild started.. 

Anyways point I’m making is the GM and Owner seem to be in line on staying the course but that doesn’t necessarily mean we are saying screw the next years we can’t compete. Cause we are pretty darn close. We should be a fringe playoff team over the next couple years, may get it in, may not. But they aren’t going to sit there and pretend like they aren’t trying to win. They are still going to put the best team forward without sacrificing the future. And no signing Pearson for a couple years isn’t sacrifice the future. At this point we probably aren’t trading anyone at the deadline. They are either injured or in protocol and it’s just too close to the deadline at this point.

Talking to Pearson and his agent is smart. Yes there are other fish in the sea. But you can’t just go into free agency expecting to pick up the players you want or making dumb mock trades like the Palat one I saw on here. What makes a person think they can get Palat who has a NTC and is third in scoring forwards on Tampa Bay. 

People make it sound so easy to be a GM, they think everyone and their dog would sign in Vancouver when in reality there’s options all over the league. Players have needs, families etc. It’s not as easy as oh just trade injured Pearson or oh just sign another plug for league minimum 

Nice to read a very logical post.   And it's funny how when anyone says "it's been seven years", well two of those years we made the show, and the gap between cores was four entire whole massively disgraceful years lol.   Nothing in this post i don't disagree on.   Pearson if signed, is nothing but a placeholder, i get that.  And that we could do worse.  Hope it's only two years but who knows.   He might not even get signed too.   Last year JB said Markstrom was his first priority... next year could also be a wash your right.   Everything JB is going to do righty now, is designed around EP and QHs next deal plus after next season.  I've waited a long time and am happy to keep waiting .... it is what it is.  Man could it ever be a lot worse then this. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Because all the "experts" had them either first or second in our division going into the season ... and they are at the right age 

ya they are closer to retirement than contending 31 and slow  flames should be selling at deadline  monagan gaudreau tkachuk  giodordano 

Just now, canuktravella said:

ya they are closer to retirement than contending 31 and slow  flames should be selling at deadline  monagan gaudreau tkachuk  giodordano 

They doubled down with Markstrom and have enough young guys and ones in their primes to keep at it.   Believe me i'm not complaining, but doubt CAL won't get 2-3 years out of these guys before they need to blow it up.   Only TO challenged them on paper to start the season ... goaltending was supposed to be their "missing piece".    Tanev is doing his job that's for sure .... Markstrom not so much at all, same with their forward group.   Really this is one of the better teams they've had since their cup team dissolved and Iginla's  peak years.   GM would be stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water or whatever,  they need to figure it out.   I was hoping VAN and CAL would both be good teams that would battle it out like we did in the early 90's....wouldn't bet against that yet. 

I like Pearson and I'm conflicted with bringing him back. It all depends on his contract really. My guess is he wants the Beagle and Roussel special 4 years x 3 million per. I wouldn't give him that given our roster construction. He is a borderline 2 line winger and we can't be paying 3 million for a bottom 6 winger. He isn't the fastest player already and 4 years is too long for my liking although does depend on AVV.

Contract i'd be happy with 

4 years 2.5 million (Hansen and Higgins deals) 

3 years 2.95 million 

2 years 3.25 million 

I actually have confidence in Benning. He normally does really well with re-signing players. I think we will be happy and surprised if they do get a deal done. Pearson doesn't have much power with COVID and isn't exactly lighting it up this year.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I like Pearson and I'm conflicted with bringing him back. It all depends on his contract really. My guess is he wants the Beagle and Roussel special 4 years x 3 million per. I wouldn't give him that given our roster construction. He is a borderline 2 line winger and we can't be paying 3 million for a bottom 6 winger. He isn't the fastest player already and 4 years is too long for my liking although does depend on AVV.

Contract i'd be happy with 

4 years 2.5 million (Hansen and Higgins deals) 

3 years 2.95 million 

2 years 3.25 million 

I actually have confidence in Benning. He normally does really well with re-signing players. I think we will be happy and surprised if they do get a deal done. Pearson doesn't have much power with COVID and isn't exactly lighting it up this year.

Nothing wrong with that really, if possible i'd leave towards the two year deal though.    Higgins and Hansen .... at the same price would be 1.25 x 2.5 ... which would bring you closer to 3 given the cap has gone up quite a bit since then.      Won't be surprised to see a 3 x 3 sort of deal made.