The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested with 2-3 year deal with Pearson

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He's been out awhile...harder to move a player who's injured for multiple weeks with a bit of an unclear prognosis/return I'd think?  

Agreed. This season has gone so bad for the Canucks in so many ways.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

not sure why we arent trading him for picks hes not that good a winger at 3 mill no thanks id rather resign hog podkolzin in a few yrs

Yeah, hope he gets traded and his minutes given to cheaper options that has something to prove - the covid economy will have alot to say how much he makes but if he resigns for cheap short term then that is great as well..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

2.5 - 3 million for a solid middle 6 guy with cup winning experience, is more than a fair price. On any team, he's middle 6, his production across 3 different teams back that up.

I agree with most of what you're saying but would still cringe a bit at $3M a year.  If the cap was going up a bit, then I think it would be fine, but with a flat cap likely for another year two (or more...), $3M a year is a bit rich for the Canucks.

$2.5M or $2.75M is probably fair in this market and a number the Canucks should be able to work with to fill out next year's roster.

Personally I would be open to seeing potentially cheaper options.

My main concern with the Canucks negotiating with Pearson now is that if they sign him now, then they will need to protect him for expansion.  They could of course expose him though I don't get why they would do that.  They already have Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle who they can expose to ensure that exposure requirements are met.  If they re-sign Pearson now then I'm getting the signal that they are probably not going to protect at least one of Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwen and Lind.  We'll see if there are any trades in the next by next Tuesday which provides some clarity but again, it just seems kind of strange to try and sign Pearson now.

57 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

In the perfect world.... he's traded for a king's ransom, then he re-signs with the Canucks below market price.  

I'm curious how many times this has happened in the NHL. I have heard of it a few times but can't remember off the top.

Anybody ?

5 minutes ago, AriGold said:

I'm curious how many times this has happened in the NHL. I have heard of it a few times but can't remember off the top.

Anybody ?

Maybe Antoine Vermette.  Signed with Phoenix, then traded to the Blackhawks in his final season, then he re-signed with the Coyotes in the off-season.  

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't really see how we can afford him cap wise to play on the 3rd line unless he's taking a big discount AAV wise just to stay here.

Ya, not sure if there is something we don't know... but assuming $13-15 million to sign both Petterson and Hughes, and needing to sign another top 4 D still (Edler at a reduced rate maybe).... not sure where the money is coming from.

We have about $18 million to sign 10-11 players at the moment, almost all of which will go to Petterson and Hughes.  Some extra if Ferland stays on LTIR.

Pearson is a solid second line left winger.  They do not grow on trees.  Many others were tried with Horvat without success.  He also has a winning attitude.  Cap wise he is already making 3.75m.   Baertschi and Sutters money combined is 7.73m which is going to Petey.  I would think Pearson wants 4-4.5.  If he produces 40 points in a regular season is fair value.  Dollar value is basically $100,000's per hundred points. I trust him more than the wingers coming up in our system.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 4LineTeam said:

Pearson is a solid second line left winger.  They do not grow on trees.  Many others were tried with Horvat without success.  He also has a winning attitude.  Cap wise he is already making 3.75m.   Baertschi and Sutters money combined is 7.73m which is going to Petey.  I would think Pearson wants 4-4.5.  If he produces 40 points in a regular season is fair value.  Dollar value is basically $100,000's per hundred points. I trust him more than the wingers coming up in our system.

He’s not getting a raise, not in this environment.

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson has less points than Hoglander or Myers.  I think I'd rather put Podkolzin on Horvat's wing and see what happens.  We could get alot cheaper wingers to fill the 3rd line and Pearson is not really a 3rd line player.  Would rather spend any additional cap on trying to get a legit 3C.

Got to disagree with you on this one Elias

Pearson is the perfect 3rd liner..........strong defensively with some up side in scoring......................2.5 Million X 2 would be where I have him

If he was scoring like 2 years ago, maybe 3.25, but he is too up and down

Perfect to fill in on a second line, but better suited for the 3rd..............IMHO

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1