The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested with 2-3 year deal with Pearson

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson has less points than Hoglander or Myers.  I think I'd rather put Podkolzin on Horvat's wing and see what happens.  We could get alot cheaper wingers to fill the 3rd line and Pearson is not really a 3rd line player.  Would rather spend any additional cap on trying to get a legit 3C.

Must be a really nice Pearson.  I think they should be trading him.  There are likely to be other UFA's to add over the summer instead.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

A 2-3 year term for Pearson is palatable as long as his cap hit is appreciably lower than what it is now.  My guess is it will take at least limited trade protection also.  They should really sign this after expansion however...

its actually a tough spot. if they don't sign him now, Seattle could outbid us during thier 48 hour window to sign ufa's before the draft.

i think signing Pearson only means we have to give up protection to virtanen, might be a win if virtanen gets selected.

14 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

its actually a tough spot. if they don't sign him now, Seattle could outbid us during thier 48 hour window to sign ufa's before the draft.

i think signing Pearson only means we have to give up protection to virtanen, might be a win if virtanen gets selected.

I didn’t even have JV on my protection list and without Pearson lol

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

I'm curious how many times this has happened in the NHL. I have heard of it a few times but can't remember off the top.

Anybody ?

59 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe Antoine Vermette.  Signed with Phoenix, then traded to the Blackhawks in his final season, then he re-signed with the Coyotes in the off-season.  

Way back 2006/07, Keith Tkachuk got tradedt by St. Louis, to Atlanta but came back during the off season.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Got to disagree with you on this one Elias

Pearson is the perfect 3rd liner..........strong defensively with some up side in scoring......................2.5 Million X 2 would be where I have him

If he was scoring like 2 years ago, maybe 3.25, but he is too up and down

Perfect to fill in on a second line, but better suited for the 3rd..............IMHO

Got to disagree with you Jan. We need more grit and truculence in the lineup. Pearson does not provide that. I’d rather spend the money and go after Adam Lowry and make him our 3C. Lowry has more points than Pearson, is a legit 3C which is a much bigger need for us than a 3rd line winger and he can also fight the top heavyweights in the league. 

I also disagree that Pearson can just slide into a top 6 role. His best days are behind him and he has less points than our 20 year old rookie.  Time to move on from Pearson and the rest of the 30 something crew. 

• Vintage 1

I wouldn't pay more than 2x2 for Pearson.  He has been a .5ppg player for us, while bringing some strong intangibles. 

If he needs more than that, I'd absolutely let him walk.  There are too many good players that are UFA this offseason, and hardly anyone has any cap space--More UFA's and less money to go around than last year.  There are 70 UFA's with similar PPG to Pearson this season, they are not all going to get paid market value, some will have to settle for the 1 year million dollar special, we need to pillage that market next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Don't really see how we can afford him cap wise to play on the 3rd line unless he's taking a big discount AAV wise just to stay here.

If Benning can use his magic to get rid of Roussel, Eriksson, and Beagle next season  it should be fine. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Got to disagree with you Jan. We need more grit and truculence in the lineup. Pearson does not provide that. I’d rather spend the money and go after Adam Lowry and make him our 3C. Lowry has more points than Pearson, is a legit 3C which is a much bigger need for us than a 3rd line winger and he can also fight the top heavyweights in the league. 

I also disagree that Pearson can just slide into a top 6 role. His best days are behind him and he has less points than our 20 year old rookie.  Time to move on from Pearson and the rest of the 30 something crew. 

We do need a third line center but Pearson better days are not behind him. He’s 28 years old, not 30 something. He’s inconsistent in the goal department but he does everything else well even when he’s not scoring. He’s not a slouch in the truculence department either. He’s a fairly gritty player 

• Cheers 1

There are rumours Palmieri could fetch Bellows and a 1st.

So why are we trying to hold onto Pearson and signing him to take up an expansion spot?  

Trade him and say you will circle back when he is a UFA.... and if you miss out, then just sign someone else who is squeezed out of a job by the cap.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

I'm curious how many times this has happened in the NHL. I have heard of it a few times but can't remember off the top.

Anybody ?

Recchi 2006; Geoff Sanderson 2004; Tkachuk 2007; Doug Weight 2006; Vinny Prospal 2008; Matt Moulson 2014; Vermette 2015;

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe Antoine Vermette.  Signed with Phoenix, then traded to the Blackhawks in his final season, then he re-signed with the Coyotes in the off-season.  

Sleepy still(1st coffee of day) I read Marie Antoinette. Now I wonder if a revolution is coming?

18 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We do need a third line center but Pearson better days are not behind him. He’s 28 years old, not 30 something. He’s inconsistent in the goal department but he does everything else well even when he’s not scoring. He’s not a slouch in the truculence department either. He’s a fairly gritty player 

He’ll be 29 soon and yes his best days are behind him. He’s not the Pearson that played in LA anymore. 

We can get an equal or better player on the UFA market if need be. Save the cap dollars and try and go after a legit 3C in the summer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1