The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested with 2-3 year deal with Pearson

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

You shouldn’t be “afraid” to lose him and talking to an agent about an extension is very far away from being shortsighted. The opposite actually. 

For sure. If Benning is just doing his due diligence, that's fine.

If he actually signs this extension before the summer, that's a different story.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

For sure. If Benning is just doing his due diligence, that's fine.

If he actually signs this extension before the summer, that's a different story.

We’ll see what happens. We also didn’t see a Demko extension coming this early. Different scenario I know but I can imagine JB already has a pretty good idea of the Petey and Hughes numbers. Maybe we see another announcement before season end 

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We’ll see what happens. We also didn’t see a Demko extension coming this early. Different scenario I know but I can imagine JB already has a pretty good idea of the Petey and Hughes numbers. Maybe we see another announcement before season end 

Yeah, nobody called the Demko extenssion (this early with those term & cap hit).  Imo, there will be some talented covid cast-offs that will be available during the covid economy...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, nobody called the Demko extenssion (this early with those term & cap hit).  Imo, there will be some talented covid cast-offs that will be available during the covid economy...

Very well could be. I’m totally fine with re-signing Pearson at a reasonable price. If they are talking then there’s more to it then any of us know. People sweating about the big contracts for “aging players” is funny though. Those days are done 

6 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Unlike all the pathetic ass haters, I think this will be great if it is at a reasonable price. With Podkolzin coming in, he can maybe be pushed down to the third line, which would be perfect!

Agreed with this but will the Canucks be able to afford Pearson?    Demko (5 million), Pettersson, and Hughes won’t come cheap.   Will we have the space?

I don’t know if it will come down to this, but maybe the Canucks will move Motte at the deadline (1 million) for a pick so that they’ll be able to afford Pearson?   

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

From that tweet (not that 'Taj' is a legit source), it sounds like $3+ for one year, under $3 if it's 2 or more years (ideally no more than 3 years and preferably 2).

That's the ballpark certainly.

As for the 'you can sign a guy for less' crowd, yes you can likely sign 'a guy' for less. But then you get 'a guy'. You have no idea how he'll fit on your team or perform. Pearson has proven to fit well on our team and with Horvat, while being solid defensively/can PK and putting up complimentary offense.

Ideally he's playing 3rd line and Podkolzin comes out of the gate flying, but it's nice to know you've got a guy you can rely on to play there if Podz needs a demotion or if there's injuries.

But no, we shouldn't be 'afraid' to lose him.

this could all just be market posturing ahead of a trade. Teams might want to know what he'd re-sign for if they trade for him. I could see TO e.g., finding a place for him at 2.5 aav.

Is Pearson more than 'a guy' now? is he really that key to Bo's success? I dunno, he's fine but I worry a lot about the term. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this could all just be market posturing ahead of a trade. Teams might want to know what he'd re-sign for if they trade for him. I could see TO e.g., finding a place for him at 2.5 aav.

Is Pearson more than 'a guy' now? is he really that key to Bo's success? I dunno, he's fine but I worry a lot about the term. 

Probably more than the Boyd, Vesey etc 'guys'. He's more than a mere NHL capable warm body.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hoglander is already better than Pearson.  And Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  Unless we are planning to play Miller full time as a 3C which would be dumb I don't see Pearson as anything more than a 3rd liner next year.  Would he be that much of an upgrade on Vesey, where you can pay Vesey $1 million versus Pearson at $3 million? We gotta get away from those $3 million contracts on the bottom 6 forwards unless we can get a stud 3C like Lowry.  Our top 6 is young and legit and we will need to pay all of them eventually.  We have to keep the bottom 6 guys at a pay scale that is manageable for the cap for the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Probably more than the Boyd, Vesey etc 'guys'. He's more than a mere NHL capable warm body.

oh fore sure, Im not arguing that. On a scale from Megna to Miller, I'd put Pearson somewhere around the Jannik Hansen mark.

I'm just willing to wait to see what the tide brings. Maybe we can do better for less, maybe not. I don't see him as key piece moving forward and I'd rather overpay for Lowry. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hoglander is already better than Pearson.  And Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  Unless we are planning to play Miller full time as a 3C which would be dumb I don't see Pearson as anything more than a 3rd liner next year.  Would he be that much of an upgrade on Vesey, where you can pay Vesey $1 million versus Pearson at $3 million? We gotta get away from those $3 million contracts on the bottom 6 forwards unless we can get a stud 3C like Lowry.  Our top 6 is young and legit and we will need to pay all of them eventually.  We have to keep the bottom 6 guys at a pay scale that is manageable for the cap for the next 5 years.

I'm very excited about Podz, but lets see what the kid can do first, if he's as capable as Hoglander has been that would be amazing. Totally agree on Lowry. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah I have Beagle/Sutter ahead of JV on my protection list to be honest. 

Yeah it’s too bad. Looked like he may have gotten it last yeah during the regular season. All the chances in the world. Was a JV believer for many years. We sure tried 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh fore sure, Im not arguing that. On a scale from Megna to Miller, I'd put Pearson somewhere around the Jannik Hansen mark.

I'm just willing to wait to see what the tide brings. Maybe we can do better for less, maybe not. I don't see him as key piece moving forward and I'd rather overpay for Lowry. 

And this is fair. You and I both agree that 3C is one of our bigger holes. No guarantee we get Lowry though...

I'm going to laugh, with all this fretting, if Pearson signs at a HIGHLY reasonable $2x2 or something :lol:

Whatever happens, it's going to be a BUSY offseason for Benning. He's got a LOT of loose ends to bring together with the ED, talk of Beagle potentially being on IR next year, the defense and who to bring back (Edler? Hamonic?) etc, etc...

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Very well could be. I’m totally fine with re-signing Pearson at a reasonable price. If they are talking then there’s more to it then any of us know. People sweating about the big contracts for “aging players” is funny though. Those days are done 

I would tend to agree (especially, with covid affecting everything) but the agents will be working very hard to bring it back - imo.  Long term the big names will still get paid (or eat up most of the salary) and the rest will see there salary go down due to supply..

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And this is fair. You and I both agree that 3C is one of our bigger holes. No guarantee we get Lowry though...

I'm going to laugh, with all this fretting, if Pearson signs at a HIGHLY reasonable $2x2 or something :lol:

Whatever happens, it's going to be a BUSY offseason for Benning. He's got a LOT of loose ends to bring together with the ED, talk of Beagle potentially being on IR next year, the defense and who to bring back (Edler? Hamonic?) etc, etc...

now that I would be OK with :lol: Even if it turns out to be 2 years, 5 mil total salary, thats still workable. Just don't want to see 3 years. 

I'm not really fretting, just want to talk about something other than covid. 

Yeah whats going on with Beagle? I hope its not the arm repair from last year. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's similar to what i've been saying... i only want Pearson back if it's priced for the 3rd line.  Ideally we'd rent him out for the rest of this year and re-sign in the summer, but i think covid has ruined a lot of JBs trade conversations.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1