The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Canucks interested with 2-3 year deal with Pearson

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And this is fair. You and I both agree that 3C is one of our bigger holes. No guarantee we get Lowry though...

I'm going to laugh, with all this fretting, if Pearson signs at a HIGHLY reasonable $2x2 or something :lol:

Whatever happens, it's going to be a BUSY offseason for Benning. He's got a LOT of loose ends to bring together with the ED, talk of Beagle potentially being on IR next year, the defense and who to bring back (Edler? Hamonic?) etc, etc...

Some of us, while generally supportive of JB’s management, come by our fretting honestly. “Highly reasonable” is slightly effusive praise I think (although you no doubt use the term to describe this particular scenario). 

I’m hoping for reason.

I just don’t like the idea that we have to be the ones to set the market for borderline top six wingers (effusive praise?) by signing Pearson right now.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

Unlike all the pathetic ass haters, I think this will be great if it is at a reasonable price. With Podkolzin coming in, he can maybe be pushed down to the third line, which would be perfect!

But will that work or does he become a $4m anchor on the third line in the future? He is streaky good on Bo's line here and there but he doesn't seem to be noticed if he's on the third line ... in my memory anyway. That's a lot of money when we already have Hoglander, Virtanen, Motte, and Lind looking for spots. That basically means we're stuck with this forward group.

• Upvote 1

Pearson is like Chris Higgins, where he is a great option for 3rd line scoring, and he can be okay in the top 6 if an injury occurs, but you don't want him as a mainstay in your top 6.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

I’m pretty sure there’s better options in that price range that would improve the team. I don’t mind Pearson, he’s a smart player, but wish there was a little bit more there, a bit more hitting, a bit more size, a bit more scoring, a bit more hustle, a bit more hunger. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Benning had already announced his intention to re-sign Pearson in his mid-season interview and called him a glue guy.  Don’t see Pearson getting less than Virtanen’s 2.55M when it’s UFA years and he plays a more important role under Green.  

Pearson-Horvat mostly take on the toughest matchups followed by the Miller-Pettersson line which opposition will normally focus on.  The bottom-6 doesn’t really play against top competition.  

The bottom-6 has a bit of an undefined mix for now.  They don’t score all that much despite playing against lesser competition but might not be reliable enough to take on a stronger defensive role and relieve the Horvat line.

If Podkolzin replaces Pearson on Horvat’s wing, they might need to adjust the role of the bottom-6.  That might not be all that evident with vets like Roussel/Beagle still under contract and players like Gaudette, McEwen etc don’t seem to be all that trusted defensively.

Green also did talk about using Pettersson C1 vs C1 as part of progression, which is a challenge he also wants.  Horvat already went up against top lines so that probably contributed to that evolution in roles which was already noticeable last season.

It’s a bit of a similar issue with Edler.  He is Green’s most trusted D against top competition and despite a drop in play, his role might not be easily replaceable given how Green tends to deploy the Ds.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

3x3/3.5 I’d be happy. Guy’s been a solid 2nd line winger for us. If he gets pushed to the third then we’re laughing. 

Your kidding ? lol

Playing 16:15 mins per game -- GP 33 -- points 11 -- Also playing beside Horvat.... Not worth more then 1.1 million X 1 yr...

Pearson is a 3rd line winger, we have lots of them ... Trade and only re sign for under 1.3 million....Cap needs to be under control...

Summer 2021  Sign - Petey and Hughes

Summer 2022  Sign - Boeser

Summer 2023 Sign - Horvat  and Miller ..

Summer 2021 - Cap Spacen 24 million

1. Demko - 5 million  Signed

2. Petey -- 7.5 million  X 3 yrs-- Compared to Barzal NYI - 7 million

3. Hughes  7 million X 3 yrs

4. Podkolzin - 950,000 X 3 yrs entry level -- Play beside --- Horvat 

5.Juolevi - 900,000 X 2 yrs

6.Vesey -  900,000  X 1 yr -show me more

7.Boyd -  850,000 X 1yr

8 Gaudette - 900,000 X 1 yr

9. Hamonic - 1.9 - 2.2 million X 2 yrs-- No trade discount   ---- Need to sign  Hughes D partner

Pearson is only a 3rd line winger ..1.3 million  -- No money for him...

Edited by wildcam

Have to see the terms before passing judgement. He is a proven 18-20 goal scorer and only 28 so it's not like he is going to fall off a cliff in the next 2 years. The problem is he has been overused in his time here out of lack of a better option as the #3 winger. Despite this (or perhaps in part because of it) he has been able to score at an almost 25 goal/82 game pace since being here. Even if he drops off somewhat that is the kind of production that they should be open to keeping around at the right price. They could try to get a bargain in the UFA market but it's still not clear how that's going to shape up. Some of the guys who looked like bargains last off-season have been; others have just been cheap.  

Edited by BlastPast
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning had already announced his intention to re-sign Pearson in his mid-season interview and called him a glue guy.  Don’t see Pearson getting less than Virtanen’s 2.55M when it’s UFA years and he plays a more important role under Green.  

Pearson-Horvat mostly take on the toughest matchups followed by the Miller-Pettersson line which opposition will normally focus on.  The bottom-6 doesn’t really play against top competition.  

The bottom-6 has a bit of an undefined mix for now.  They don’t score all that much despite playing against lesser competition but might not be reliable enough to take on a stronger defensive role and relieve the Horvat line.

If Podkolzin replaces Pearson on Horvat’s wing, they might need to adjust the role of the bottom-6.  That might not be all that evident with vets like Roussel/Beagle still under contract and players like Gaudette, McEwen etc don’t seem to be all that trusted defensively.

Green also did talk about using Pettersson C1 vs C1 as part of progression, which is a challenge he also wants.  Horvat already went up against top lines so that probably contributed to that evolution in roles which was already noticeable last season.

It’s a bit of a similar issue with Edler.  He is Green’s most trusted D against top competition and despite a drop in play, his role might not be easily replaceable given how Green tends to deploy the Ds.

acccording to WOODWOWY  EP40 plays more minutes against elite competition, than bo

quality.JPG

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

2 years 2.8 is acceptable for a veteran middle 6 winger.  Solid depth player... and Bo’s shotgun placeholder.

lol

GP 33 -- points 11 --- playing 16:15 mins per game ....Can't  Re sign him? He is a 3rd line winger ---..Please trade....We have to sign 8 players no money left for Pearsson?? We already have a lot of bottom 6 players...

New line -- Podkolzin -Horvaat -- Boeser 

Edited by wildcam
  • RoughGame 1

He knows now after the summer.. if you play hard ball your demands wont be met. So if he's truly happy in Vancouver with the situation and opportunity then he will sign at a lower AAV likely for 2-3 years. My guess 3 years will be the ask for less AAV. He's gonna be pushed by Podz tho and he has to be ready to accept a limited role.

15 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Have to see the terms before passing judgement. He is a proven 18-20 goal scorer and only 28 so it's not like he is going to fall off a cliff in the next 2 years. The problem is he has been overused in his time here out of lack of a better option as the #3 winger. Despite this (or perhaps in part because of it) he has been able to score at an almost 25 goal/82 game pace since being here. Even if he drops off somewhat that is the kind of production that they should be open to keeping around at the right price. They could try to get a bargain in the UFA market but it's still not clear how that's going to shape up. Some of the guys who looked like bargains last off-season have been; others have just been cheap.  

Not a proven 20 goal scorer ?? This being his 8th season  2 seasons he scored 21 - 24 ...He  more of a 14 - 17 goal guy?

This year on pace for 7G   .... GP 33 -- G --3  --  11 points - Playing 16 mins a game...Please don't re sign....

Virtanen Re signed for 2.5 million after scoring GP 68 -- G 18 - points 36  playing 13 minutes per game  --- We were all excited...

12 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Not a proven 20 goal scorer ?? This being his 8th season  2 seasons he scored 21 - 24 ...He  more of a 14 - 17 goal guy?

This year on pace for 7G   .... GP 33 -- G --3  --  11 points - Playing 16 mins a game...Please don't re sign....

Virtanen Re signed for 2.5 million after scoring GP 68 -- G 18 - points 36  playing 13 minutes per game  --- We were all excited...

I'm talking about goals/82 games. Obviously losing games to injury can affect seasonal totals. Of course there is going to be some variability from year-to-year.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Your kidding ? lol

Playing 16:15 mins per game -- GP 33 -- points 11 -- Also playing beside Horvat.... Not worth more then 1.1 million X 1 yr...

Pearson is a 3rd line winger, we have lots of them ... Trade and only re sign for under 1.3 million....Cap needs to be under control...

Summer 2021  Sign - Petey and Hughes

Summer 2022  Sign - Boeser

Summer 2023 Sign - Horvat  and Miller ..

every team would be lined up if pearson was going to take 1.3 million. 

once again, i will try to explain to everyone that seems to be missing the point of how real analysts decide what the value of a player is.

Body of work, generally you take the last 3 years of a players performance than you analyze trends and predict where his performance will go from there.

the most important factor is the body of work, i don't know exactly what that value is but is probably somewhere between 50-60%

than you analyze trends and predict whether his performance will increase or decrease.

so taking that info pearsons last 3 seasons

pearson played 121 gp scored 68 points 36G 32A playing 16:30

lets say so a forward that scores 0.5ppg playing 16:30 against top competition is worth 4million a year (a low estimate)

now we have to analyze his trends, offensivley i would grade his value dropped by about 2 million and defensively it stayed about the same. lets value offence at 60% of the total value to a contract. so 2million *0.6=1.2 million

tanner pearsons value = body of work - trend

tanner pearsons value = 4million - 1.2million

tanner pearsons value = 2.8 million. roughly( but only for the very next season, to calculate any years beyond you must add  a prediction of where the player will be)

the capologists in the nhl use this method,(although the calculation's would probably have modifiers for every random stat )

Edited by Petey_BOI

12 hours ago, canuktravella said:

not sure why we arent trading him for picks hes not that good a winger at 3 mill no thanks id rather resign hog podkolzin in a few yrs

Quite the conflicting statement you’ve made. 

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

acccording to WOODWOWY  EP40 plays more minutes against elite competition, than bo

quality.JPG

Perhaps this is the lack of sleep talking here, is the point that the Canucks choose to play Pettersson against elite competition, or is it that the opposition coaches (given the choice) will play their elite lines against Pettersson so as to get away from Horvat (who is far better at faceoffs)?

regards,  G.

17 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Pathetic Ass haters??? Wow did you come up with that all by ourself?

Boobs are nice too but why hate the ass?   Strange post indeed. 

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson has less points than Hoglander or Myers.  I think I'd rather put Podkolzin on Horvat's wing and see what happens.  We could get alot cheaper wingers to fill the 3rd line and Pearson is not really a 3rd line player.  Would rather spend any additional cap on trying to get a legit 3C.

I'm with you.   Get it's not easy to find good support players, Pearson for sure came in and did an admirable job on Horvats wing last season, this season and the playoffs is more likely his norm, not enough for a good top six and he won't produce even at that level as a third liner. 

Being saying for over a year now, that Pearson should be traded and we should be looking to upgrade that spot.   Horvat deserves to work with better wingers .... we have a chance to have two legit scoring lines, Horvat isn't going to turn into Kesler or Bergeron or Toews,  I think by now we'd already see that in his game more, would like to see that line with a legit top line winger and score more.   The best teams in the league have way better second lines to work with...that's what we need to be striving for.

Pearson's stats were also inflated last season given the empty net points.   Again did an admirable job...maybe JB signs him to a deal around 3 which would work for our third line and one more year of placeholding ... but needs to keep that spot open for a better option.   I'd even try Motte at this point.   Feel he could do everything and more then Pearson can given what he's done with Beagle, but get he's just too important where he is.    There are better UFA options this year, get the timing is off by a year and that Podz is coming in to get his turn too.    As long as it's a tradeable deal it makes some sense because we won't have the money this off season for an upgrade, but we sure need one for Horvats line to be more effective when it comes time to contend with this core (2 years from now). 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2