The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Richard Panik, Nick Merkley, Martin Frk

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Canucks claim for Merkley coming in 3...2...1...

That would surprise me.  An undersized guy who can't skate very well.

Having said that, we have no bodies left to field a team at the moment and he can play all 3 forward positions for less than a million dollars.... so who knows.

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

That would surprise me.  An undersized guy who can't skate very well.

Having said that, we have no bodies left to field a team at the moment and he can play all 3 forward positions for less than a million dollars.... so who knows.

With the Canucks current situation they can afford to take a flyer on players same way we did with Vesey.

Its pretty apparent that our farm depth needs some work.

Also not being a good skater doesn’t seem to bother Green based on his bottom 6.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

With the Canucks current situation they can afford to take a flyer on players same way we did with Vesey.

Its pretty apparent that our farm depth needs some work.

Also not being a good skater doesn’t seem to bother Green based on his bottom 6.

The guys who ''can't'' skate in our bottom 5 have other attributes. For example? Rooster offers size, will take one on the chin.

Beagle is not 'fast' but is a tireless skater, who's motor never stops. Motte in particular & Sutter, cough Jake should be mentioned, are great skaters.

BTW I agree on taking a flyer?  But Merkley is one of those top 6 or bust guys. 

I could totally see Calgary claiming Merkley. Hometown boy, and their prospect depth sucks. Plus they’re likely sellers at the deadline, so he could plug a hole, and at least be a positive footnote in this wreck of a season.

For what it’s worth, Canucks are at 48/50 contracts. Claiming another player might cause a problem with flexibility in case they want to sign other guys before the season ends (such as Podkolzin).

I think they claimed both Vesey and Boyd in preparation for the deadline. But with the COVID situation happening now, it is unlikely that we’ll be able to trade anyone. So they might already be stuck with more contracts than they wanted.