The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[trade] Palmieri and Zajac to Islanders

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I'm still in awe that the Capitals didn't do everything in there power to keep Trotz around. It's mind numbing that they let him walk after winning the Cup with him.

He wanted 5 million per year on a 5 year deal. Caps were not willing to pay that much for that long. Simple as that..

I watched the Isles vs Caps yesterday. It was very tight game.. 0 - 0 with few mins left in the 3rd Isles scored. Won 1 - 0

Isles are looking to make a run this year. 

Too bad they lost their Captain and leading scorer to injury and out for the season. Lee is a very good player. He would have been a difference maker. 

33 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’d say pretty comparable players to Pearson and Sutter.

Comparable, sure, but not equal.

Zajac > Sutter

Palmieri > Pearson

Edited by kanucks25
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

That is a decent deal and not an overpayment at all which you normally see at trade deadlines.  50% retained on two really useful middle 6 players for a 1st round pick, a decent but not blue chip prospect... and a couple of minor pieces.

If teams started an arms race and we could get the same for Pearson/Sutter, I would be pretty happy with that.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

This is sad... I thought Zajac would retire a Devil.

Thus begins the Devils' tank. Those two guys are big reasons they were even competitive. 

Nooooo, not everybody retires with their drafting teams......................:picard:

So, now the NJ develis drop in the standings improving their own pick and get another 1st, that could turn out to be in the 16 to 23 area............

Sorry, if I tagged you with that, but your comment just sounds so surprised, sort of like Sedins and Edler..........just lost assets!

• Sad 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think the Canes and Panthers have a good case for best coached team, especially the Canes. 

Difference is,  look at those teams rosters and then look at the Islanders and specifically what Trotz did his first season.   Lowered his GAA - without Tavares, by an something like 50%.    Makes the playoffs, and last year the conference final.    Florida was a team that was supposed to do something last year, that went very wrong, and Quenville has them doing closer to what they should be doing...Canes are enjoying their fruits of missing 9 playoffs in a row finally, i'm happy for them and sure they are well coached too.  

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Nooooo, not everybody retires with their drafting teams......................:picard:

So, now the NJ develis drop in the standings improving their own pick and get another 1st, that could turn out to be in the 16 to 23 area............

Sorry, if I tagged you with that, but your comment just sounds so surprised, sort of like Sedins and Edler..........just lost assets!

Zajac was a good player for them for a long time. Was part of their team that made the Finals when they had Kovalchuk.

I know it's a business, but it's a regrettable side of the business. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

You're right, not everybody retires with the team they were drafted by. In fact, it's incredibly uncommon nowadays. But it being uncommon is exactly why some folks feel disappointed when single franchise players move, seeing a guy only wear a single sweater for years is a nice story. It's why many were shocked to see Brodeur wear a Blues jersey, for many it just felt and looked wrong. 

I understand the assets argument, and sure, it can make sense for teams. But to be so completely dismissive of the sentimentality of some fans, I think you're wrong there. I don't view the twins retiring as Canucks as lost assets, I perceive it as a beautiful ending to a journey we got to watch from day one. It can even be both, we very well could have potentially gotten assets for the twins but given their unique place in NHL history it's unlikely a team would have had both the room and cap space for their combined contracts. You don't trade for a single Sedin, and they likely don't waive to separate. 

Maybe you see me as being wrong, as I'm a vocal advocate of Edler retiring a Canuck, and that's fine. But there's more to retaining and moving guys than continually shipping a guy out for assets if they're on their downswing/if a team is out of the race. Perhaps some fans would prefer a more computerized, logical, or perhaps even ruthless approach to player management, but people simply aren't objective on that level. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

He wanted 5 million per year on a 5 year deal. Caps were not willing to pay that much for that long. Simple as that..

I watched the Isles vs Caps yesterday. It was very tight game.. 0 - 0 with few mins left in the 3rd Isles scored. Won 1 - 0

Isles are looking to make a run this year. 

Too bad they lost their Captain and leading scorer to injury and out for the season. Lee is a very good player. He would have been a difference maker. 

Should've paid him. Maybe they'd have 2 cups instead of 1.

Now they're probably paying 5 million for Todd Reirden and Peter Laviolette combined. Which is ironic because Laviolette was the guy who took over from Trotz when he left Nashville.

Either way, the Islanders could make a run this year and that's exciting for a franchise that was dead in the water a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 2

Good trade for the Islanders at a reasonable price. Like a few have said, would love to see them eliminate the leafs in the playoffs assuming TO doesnt $&!# the bed in round 1 again.

I love the fact that in the past 5 years the Canucks have gotten farther in the playoffs than the leafs have.

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't view the twins retiring as Canucks as lost assets, I perceive it as a beautiful ending to a journey we got to watch from day one.

I would have wanted the rebuild to start sooner then it did when I look back.

But you’re right I wouldn’t take that away for anything. Maybe a cup but we’ll get there.

Those last few games with the Sedins are incredibly special. Sometimes I go back and watch D.Sedins OT goal. Johns call on that gives me shivers everytime 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I would have wanted the rebuild to start sooner then it did when I look back.

But you’re right I wouldn’t take that away for anything. Maybe a cup but we’ll get there.

Those last few games with the Sedins are incredibly special. Sometimes I go back and watch D.Sedins OT goal. Johns call on that gives me shivers everytime 

I echo those sentiments, but at the same time.. 

Those last few games were extraordinary, surreal even. Get a load of this. https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/henrik-daniel-sedin-numerology-canucks-2018?auto=true

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You're right, not everybody retires with the team they were drafted by. In fact, it's incredibly uncommon nowadays. But it being uncommon is exactly why some folks feel disappointed when single franchise players move, seeing a guy only wear a single sweater for years is a nice story. It's why many were shocked to see Brodeur wear a Blues jersey, for many it just felt and looked wrong. 

I understand the assets argument, and sure, it can make sense for teams. But to be so completely dismissive of the sentimentality of some fans, I think you're wrong there. I don't view the twins retiring as Canucks as lost assets, I perceive it as a beautiful ending to a journey we got to watch from day one. It can even be both, we very well could have potentially gotten assets for the twins but given their unique place in NHL history it's unlikely a team would have had both the room and cap space for their combined contracts. You don't trade for a single Sedin, and they likely don't waive to separate. 

Maybe you see me as being wrong, as I'm a vocal advocate of Edler retiring a Canuck, and that's fine. But there's more to retaining and moving guys than continually shipping a guy out for assets if they're on their downswing/if a team is out of the race. Perhaps some fans would prefer a more computerized, logical, or perhaps even ruthless approach to player management, but people simply aren't objective on that level. 

I don't think you are wrong, or foolish..........none of the above. I get it. I am OK with it, I am but one voice, and I am no more right or wrong than the next guy, either...all is cool!

But let me ask you one question........it is very hypothetical.........but please indulge me.....

Let's just say we had traded the Sedin's and had used those assets as part of a trade that brought in a player that helped us win the Stanley Cup

Would you trade that cup to see the Sedin's retire Canuck's? One question, just yes, I would rather see the Sedin's retire Canucks or no, I would rather have the cup?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't think you are wrong, or foolish..........none of the above. I get it. I am OK with it, I am but one voice, and I am no more right or wrong than the next guy, either...all is cool!

But let me ask you one question........it is very hypothetical.........but please indulge me.....

Let's just say we had traded the Sedin's and had used those assets as part of a trade that brought in a player that helped us win the Stanley Cup

Would you trade that cup to see the Sedin's retire Canuck's? One question, just yes, I would rather see the Sedin's retire Canucks or no, I would rather have the cup?

if it was 100 percent that we would get the cup if we traded them, i'd do that every time.

• Cheers 1