The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[trade] Palmieri and Zajac to Islanders

Just now, IBatch said:

Had anyone else noticed the forum changes?  I can't edit my posts anymore lol.  So to continue.   The Sedins are still a little polarizing to this day for long term fans.   I'm sure anyone who missed the Linden years and started late say around the WCE years hold them in higher esteem.   Not that i don't, and glad Janis spoke to loyalty...but given the entire purpose is to win a cup...who here would really rather the Sedins stayed, then gone on to win a cup in say TB?   Not one fan.   We'd have cheered them on and it would have been amazing.   Whenever a great Canuck moved on a wins a cup,  i certainly would have a tear in my eye.  Even when the few support players that have done that it's pretty cool.   Brad May in ANA comes to mind.

Willie Mitchell in LA too.   Damn i wish we kept him, the missing link in our 2011 run. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Had anyone else noticed the forum changes?  I can't edit my posts anymore lol.  So to continue.   The Sedins are still a little polarizing to this day for long term fans.   I'm sure anyone who missed the Linden years and started late say around the WCE years hold them in higher esteem.   Not that i don't, and glad Janis spoke to loyalty...but given the entire purpose is to win a cup...who here would really rather the Sedins stayed, then gone on to win a cup in say TB?   Not one fan.   We'd have cheered them on and it would have been amazing.   Whenever a great Canuck moved on a wins a cup,  i certainly would have a tear in my eye.  Even when the few support players that have done that it's pretty cool.   Brad May in ANA comes to mind.

The edit button is n the top right........something I found by chance

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The edit button is n the top right........something I found by chance

I always use my phone lol.   Will try and navigate it better.   Often make posts that i later edit because well i'm using my phone and i don't proof read enough...thanks.  

Edit: Found it ... three little dots... thanks again!  Good thing i'm not in the beer yet. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

Just now, IBatch said:

I always use my phone lol.   Will try and navigate it better.   Often make posts that i later edit because well i'm using my phone and i don't proof read enough...thanks.  

Ha! I am old and hear words as I type, only to find, I have not put them down, which can change the meaning entirely, lol

So if I did not have the edit button.........it would not be pretty, sometimes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And they (Caps) haven’t won Jack since they cheaped out on the coaching.

But the whole point is.... they won a cup together and parted ways. 
Tavares screwed over the islanders... if the Islanders win the cup, its a bigger F U to him than it was to Trotz

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ha! I am old and hear words as I type, only to find, I have not put them down, which can change the meaning entirely, lol

So if I did not have the edit button.........it would not be pretty, sometimes

Man.  I hear words in my head too but mostly it's about my wife shaming me for spending too much time on this site or not doing something productive ha ha.    Janis keep making proposals because if you don't i might start and then my ego might be sad, because they won't be much different and maybe i care a little too much about my peers on this site.  

Here's one just to prime it:   Trade EP and QHs for Eichel and Dahlin.    Flame away. 

Could tell you have a lot of wisdom to share already... Orr.   Are you Orr old?  Not old yet to me ... but I can hear my kids saying ewww.     Get that with time comes perspective, and as time becomes the main commodity in life.   I for one, want the Canucks to break the mould and this time win a cup.   A lot of work to do yet for that to happen, unfortunately the flip side of perspective is we never really had a chance with this core, JB damn him for making me doubt that a little. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

How so?

Strung them along and walked to TO. Told everyone he wanted to be an islander and loved playing there.. The Isles lost first line player, their captain to UFA, he wasted no time in signing with TO. He got greedy and signed a monster contract in Toronto (which is going to be god awful in the next 2 years)
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/john-tavares-pending-free-agency-want-stay-long-island/sn-amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newsday.com/amp/sports/hockey/islanders/john-tavares-contract-long-island-1.16193359

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-signs-seven-year-deal-with-toronto-maple-leafs/c-299370932

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Strung them along and walked to TO. Told everyone he wanted to be an islander and loved playing there.. The Isles lost first line player, their captain to UFA, he wasted no time in signing with TO. He got greedy and signed a monster contract in Toronto (which is going to be god awful in the next 2 years)
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/john-tavares-pending-free-agency-want-stay-long-island/sn-amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newsday.com/amp/sports/hockey/islanders/john-tavares-contract-long-island-1.16193359

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-signs-seven-year-deal-with-toronto-maple-leafs/c-299370932

Nowhere in his Islander contract did it say he had to re-sign with the Islanders.

If the Islanders didn't ask for or exercise his limited NTC that is on them.

So really the Islanders messed themselves up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh please don't get me wrong

It has been done, its over........finished!

And although My point was to you, what I am hoping is others understand

That most fans would disregard their beliefs on having players retire on 1 team

which is just a romantic idea............these guys take our money

and get paid more than most people make in one life time in one year

Trades and movement are expected.............

If the Sedin's were truely dedicated to the Canucks they would have went to management

They simply did not want to

Same with Edler, etc...............

I do not blame them, and I don't judge the fans that like it

I simply disagree with their/managements decision..................

I loose!

booo, you do lose. sedins always took discounts to stay with the canucks, gillis agreed and gave them a NMC. He was probably well aware of the sedins intentions, because teams don't give NMCS. Instead players demand them and many deserve them.

Hating on the sedins is just really poorly thought out selfish thoughts form a hockey fan. The amount they do for the community now to this day should be and is heralded, and is worth infinite more times than a couple draft picks.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You just jarred a thought out of me, after reminding me Alfie did...........kind of complexed

In the playoffs, players need to give their all, they need to do everything in their power to win the cup

Those players are single minded and play win at all costs............

The importance of winning the cup is the biggest goal of their careers

Now the Sedins took alot of crap in their playoff runs

But they did not play at all costs..............almost, but not everything

They certainly have my respect

But again the cup was not everything

Bourque, Alfie, Kariya, etc...all did everything in their power to win the cup before retiring

To me, it told me the Sedin's had limits, and would rather play win one team their entire life than win a cup

It says something..............Loyal, yes , but the ultimate winners? Maybe not........

I do not question their right of choice

Only their decision

you have greed for prestige in your eyes.

prestige From about 1815 it was used in the sense of "an illusion as to one's personal merit or importance, a flattering illusion," hence, positively, "a reputation for excellence, importance, or authority," senses probably introduced from French, often in reference to Napoleon

what would you do for a klondike bar?

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Nowhere in his Islander contract did it say he had to re-sign with the Islanders.

If the Islanders didn't ask for or exercise his limited NTC that is on them.

So really the Islanders messed themselves up.

Im well aware of that, but he could have at least let them know he had zero intention of resigning and to be traded. At least do the organization who took you over everyone else a favour. If you dont want to stay somewhere, dont talk so promisingly of re-signing and string the fans and organization along who supported you, developed you and named you captain. Some leader.....

In one of the articles it was Tavares camp that would not talk negotiation. He was leaving without giving them a chance to offer something better.

The guy hasnt won an art ross, hart, selke or a . He’s been to the 2nd round of the playoffs once. Hell, he wasnt even the calder winner, Tyler Myers was.

He got greedy. 
Tavares getting paid more than Ovi???? Wtf??

8 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

but he could have at least let them know he had zero intention of resigning and to be traded.

First you assume he knew he wanted to go elsewhere

Then you assume he did not tell them he was going to leave.

What a player says in public, is for public consumption. Why tick off the fans, just say "Yah, I'd like to sign here" then tell the team the same thing, and try to make a deal.

Unless he always wantedc to go elsewhere he has not lied.

"I'd like to stay, hope we can get a deal done"

" Well looks like Toronto is going to pay me more money and term so goodbye Islanders"

13 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Im well aware of that, but he could have at least let them know he had zero intention of resigning and to be traded. At least do the organization who took you over everyone else a favour. If you dont want to stay somewhere, dont talk so promisingly of re-signing and string the fans and organization along who supported you, developed you and named you captain. Some leader.....

In one of the articles it was Tavares camp that would not talk negotiation. He was leaving without giving them a chance to offer something better.

The guy hasnt won an art ross, hart, selke or a . He’s been to the 2nd round of the playoffs once. Hell, he wasnt even the calder winner, Tyler Myers was.

He got greedy. 
Tavares getting paid more than Ovi???? Wtf??

Please tell your boss he overpays you and you would work for less.

Just now, gurn said:

First you assume he knew he wanted to go elsewhere

Then you assume he did not tell them he was going to leave.

What a player says in public, is for public consumption. Why tick off the fans, just say "Yah, I'd like to sign here" then tell the team the same thing, and try to make a deal.

Unless he always wantedc to go elsewhere he has not lied.

"I'd like to stay, hope we can get a deal done"

" Well looks like Toronto is going to pay me more money and term so goodbye Islanders"

Funny how he signed on July 1st with Toronto. Seems to me like he had full intentions and some sort of discussions with Toronto in advance to July 1st

He said he did not want to leave Long Island

His camp would not talk with NYI. 

Its not just an assumption

learn to read the articles I linked. His words and insider reports that the reason there was no contract negotiations was due to the players camp

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Man.  I hear words in my head too but mostly it's about my wife shaming me for spending too much time on this site or not doing something productive ha ha.    Janis keep making proposals because if you don't i might start and then my ego might be sad, because they won't be much different and maybe i care a little too much about my peers on this site.  

Here's one just to prime it:   Trade EP and QHs for Eichel and Dahlin.    Flame away. 

Could tell you have a lot of wisdom to share already... Orr.   Are you Orr old?  Not old yet to me ... but I can hear my kids saying ewww.     Get that with time comes perspective, and as time becomes the main commodity in life.   I for one, want the Canucks to break the mould and this time win a cup.   A lot of work to do yet for that to happen, unfortunately the flip side of perspective is we never really had a chance with this core, JB damn him for making me doubt that a little. 

Oh no, you would not get an argument from me......I would probably say that we would have to add, but one never knows

I make alot of trade proposals, but I know, you can not trade every body, nor should you. But I hate the argument that you would change team chemistry....I mean, how did Vegas ever manage with no chemistry? I must have been terrible. (JOKE). I find alot on here, make opinions based on emotion.....I get that, but see no value in it. It has cost us.......

So, it is what it is, but that is not me...............I am with you.............hey my grandson who just turned 4 is a Edmonton Oiler fan, my son(his dad) is so discussed.....lol..Love it!

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

booo, you do lose. sedins always took discounts to stay with the canucks, gillis agreed and gave them a NMC. He was probably well aware of the sedins intentions, because teams don't give NMCS. Instead players demand them and many deserve them.

Hating on the sedins is just really poorly thought out selfish thoughts form a hockey fan. The amount they do for the community now to this day should be and is heralded, and is worth infinite more times than a couple draft picks.

I don't hate the Sedin's...I don't know where you get that from. And, I will tell you Petey, my thoughts are well thought out and intentional............

I try to have posters see there are 2 sides, and 2 directions............neither are wrong in a forum environment

People that do not see that, IMO, are not hockey fans, but could be Canuck fans

Just for the record.........the Sedin's were incredible, but far from complete hockey players

In saying that, we were lucky to have them

I am confused with your comment, you usually have a broader view. Sorry I have to say this, But felt there was a personal poke there?

6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

you have greed for prestige in your eyes.

prestige From about 1815 it was used in the sense of "an illusion as to one's personal merit or importance, a flattering illusion," hence, positively, "a reputation for excellence, importance, or authority," senses probably introduced from French, often in reference to Napoleon

what would you do for a klondike bar?

What are you on? Man!?