Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A prediction on how the Canucks could play all 56 games. This season is about to get weirder

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

 So you thought you saw it all by now with NHL Scheduling, I believe we are in for something even more strange. This is my prediction. 

 

The Canucks have 19 games remaining and according to this article Canucks offer insight into COVID outbreak, dangers of variant transmission (sportsnet.ca)  The Canucks earliest next game may not be till April 17th. That leaves them 19 games in 23 days May 9th is the end of the regular season.

 

So if I where a NHL scheduler I would have to start think outside the box for this one. 19 games in 23 days is inhuman according to the article

 

How about 11 games minimum in 23 days. 11 is the magic # maybe a few more but I will explain the few more after.

 

To start you have to look at the standings. Simply put Van, Cal and Ott are all going to miss the playoffs. You can argue with me here if you wish but the statistical probability says they are going to miss the playoffs and this is where the few extra games will apply (explanation to follow).

 

Second lets look at the 19 remaining games.

 

0 vs MTL, 5 vs Edm, 2 vs Win, 4 vs Tor, 4 vs Cal, 4 Vs Ott

 

That is 11 games vs playoff teams and 8 vs non playoff teams.

 

My believe is as long as the Canucks can play their games vs the playoff teams prior to the start of the playoffs the playoffs can start for the Canadian Division. This is where it gets weird I predict the Canucks Flames and Sens will all be playing games after the playoffs begin.

 

Here is the explanation for the few extra games for all this to work the 3 teams will all need to be mathematically eliminated before the Canadian Division can begin the playoffs. By the End of the regular season Van is missing 8 games Cal would be missing 4 and Ott would be missing 4. If things remain on course the games played against Van would mean nothing to Cal and Ott as they would most likely be already mathematically eliminated as the most points they could gain is 8pts both Cal and Ott are already 8pts or more out of the playoffs with MTL with games in hand. It is only Van who could possibly catch Mtl at that stage with 16 pts in play. Therefore, based on current  point % The Canucks might have to play 14-16 games in 23 days before they are Mathematically eliminated. Then they could play the remaining games once the playoffs begin.

 

Here is where it could become real fun for us Canuck fans. If Cal and Ott have nothing to play for and if they win they get worse draft pick odds therefore, the players could decide maybe they don't want to shot themselves in the foot. Both those teams have young players who will be with their respective teams for awhile. Having better draft position means getting better younger players coming into those organizations. The Canucks could rack up points on these two teams and sneak into the playoffs by knocking out MTL wouldn't that be fun. I know wishful thinking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing I find interesting in that article or at least something that caught my eye is this part

 

Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Jimmy Vesey and Jordie Benn are the only players from the 22 listed on Vancouver’s NHL roster, at the time the team was shut down, who are not in COVID protocol.

 

2 of those players should catch your eye Miller and Benn both where out in the beginning of the season under the Covid protocol, I wonder if they are immune 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

It makes sense, but are you comfortable with the idea of a Boeser or a Hughes or a Petey getting severely injured in one of these meaningless games? 

Same could be said about the Calgary or Ottawa stars

If they play the games before the end of the season they are just as meaningless 

 

Plus better to play 19 games in 30 days then to try and play 19 in 23

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canucks and every other team will have to play all their games by seasons end. Teams would cry foul over the draft order rankings. It would be unfair to the teams with more points that played more games. There is no way around this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

If they play the games before the end of the season they are just as meaningless 

 

Plus better to play 19 games in 30 days then to try and play 19 in 23

muscles need time to repair,  without proper rest they are subject to additional tears which might may be large enough to cause injury.

 

bumps and bruises, same thing.

 

they are going to be in so much pain and will be exhausted constantly.

 

https://healthfully.com/physical-exhaustion-symptoms-3875458.html

reduced reaction times, pain, nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, and sometimes very serious heart issues

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Canucks could choose to forfeit those games.  Let the team decide to do what they want.  I am comfortable with giving those games up but one consideration is player salaries because they are based on games played. 

But as the draft is concerned, the league will do whatever is in their power to prevent the Canucks from getting the first pick.

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The Canucks and every other team will have to play all their games by seasons end. Teams would cry foul over the draft order rankings. It would be unfair to the teams with more points that played more games. There is no way around this. 

 

I agree that teams would cry foul, but this is a scenario unlike anything the NHL has ever faced. Let alone another North American professional team, at least to my knowledge. An entire team brought to it's knees by a global pandemic. I don't envy the NHL's decision, but I'm not sure they can approach the coming draft as per normal given the circumstances. We're in uncharted territory. 

 

I just don't see a scenario where the team recovers, gets back into shape, and somehow plays all the remaining games without somehow extending the season. Bringing them back after being ill and rushing them back into games is just asking for injuries. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL could probably get a special exemption to allow the Canucks to field 2 complete rosters to play all the remaining games.  Split squads filled with NHLers and AHLers.  What a gong show that would be. :P  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

 So you thought you saw it all by now with NHL Scheduling, I believe we are in for something even more strange. This is my prediction. 

 

The Canucks have 19 games remaining and according to this article Canucks offer insight into COVID outbreak, dangers of variant transmission (sportsnet.ca)  The Canucks earliest next game may not be till April 17th. That leaves them 19 games in 23 days May 9th is the end of the regular season.

 

So if I where a NHL scheduler I would have to start think outside the box for this one. 19 games in 23 days is inhuman according to the article

 

How about 11 games minimum in 23 days. 11 is the magic # maybe a few more but I will explain the few more after.

 

To start you have to look at the standings. Simply put Van, Cal and Ott are all going to miss the playoffs. You can argue with me here if you wish but the statistical probability says they are going to miss the playoffs and this is where the few extra games will apply (explanation to follow).

 

Second lets look at the 19 remaining games.

 

0 vs MTL, 5 vs Edm, 2 vs Win, 4 vs Tor, 4 vs Cal, 4 Vs Ott

 

That is 11 games vs playoff teams and 8 vs non playoff teams.

 

My believe is as long as the Canucks can play their games vs the playoff teams prior to the start of the playoffs the playoffs can start for the Canadian Division. This is where it gets weird I predict the Canucks Flames and Sens will all be playing games after the playoffs begin.

 

Here is the explanation for the few extra games for all this to work the 3 teams will all need to be mathematically eliminated before the Canadian Division can begin the playoffs. By the End of the regular season Van is missing 8 games Cal would be missing 4 and Ott would be missing 4. If things remain on course the games played against Van would mean nothing to Cal and Ott as they would most likely be already mathematically eliminated as the most points they could gain is 8pts both Cal and Ott are already 8pts or more out of the playoffs with MTL with games in hand. It is only Van who could possibly catch Mtl at that stage with 16 pts in play. Therefore, based on current  point % The Canucks might have to play 14-16 games in 23 days before they are Mathematically eliminated. Then they could play the remaining games once the playoffs begin.

 

Here is where it could become real fun for us Canuck fans. If Cal and Ott have nothing to play for and if they win they get worse draft pick odds therefore, the players could decide maybe they don't want to shot themselves in the foot. Both those teams have young players who will be with their respective teams for awhile. Having better draft position means getting better younger players coming into those organizations. The Canucks could rack up points on these two teams and sneak into the playoffs by knocking out MTL wouldn't that be fun. I know wishful thinking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why the need to play games if all 4 playoff teams are determined?

 

Pad the stats? TV revenue?

 

I don't think fans will watch games if there is no playoff implication?

 

I'd say we play 11 games in 23 days or whatever and see where things are. If the team is mathematically eliminated, end the season and determine the draft order by point percentage.

 

I don't think anyone will complain.

 

Edit: we play until we are mathematically eliminated. I don't see any other way around this.

 

Edited by khay
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

The Canucks and every other team will have to play all their games by seasons end. Teams would cry foul over the draft order rankings. It would be unfair to the teams with more points that played more games. There is no way around this. 

What about point percentage?

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

muscles need time to repair,  without proper rest they are subject to additional tears which might may be large enough to cause injury.

 

bumps and bruises, same thing.

 

they are going to be in so much pain and will be exhausted constantly.

 

https://healthfully.com/physical-exhaustion-symptoms-3875458.html

reduced reaction times, pain, nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, and sometimes very serious heart issues

thoughs are possible side effects  everyone reacts differently they will take this player by player    some will play others will sit out and taxi squad will play and comets will be called up  i guarantee they play at least  10 of 19 games  remaining 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Health first! Of these kids AND their families! No shame in wherever they choose to end the season. But I know, that even while sick, the competitive nature of professional athletes will still rise to the forefront. While still in mathematical striking distance of a playoff spot, there is no way some players aren't still thinking about the remote possibility, even if they should be thinking about rest and recovery.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this assumes the players will all bounce back to normal and that is very likely to NOT happen as Covid is a severe respiratory illness with 33% of those being infected becoming long haulers with lots of freaky symptoms (too many to list) but among them - many not being able to breath normally for some time. 

 

So do you actually think that in another 7 days that our team will magically be able to ice a competitive team able to run flat out for 23 days????

 

Very unlikely!  

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BPA said:

The NHL could probably get a special exemption to allow the Canucks to field 2 complete rosters to play all the remaining games.  Split squads filled with NHLers and AHLers.  What a gong show that would be. :P  

Wonder how many points we'd get doing that ?????????????????

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

One other thing I find interesting in that article or at least something that caught my eye is this part

 

Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Jimmy Vesey and Jordie Benn are the only players from the 22 listed on Vancouver’s NHL roster, at the time the team was shut down, who are not in COVID protocol.

 

2 of those players should catch your eye Miller and Benn both where out in the beginning of the season under the Covid protocol, I wonder if they are immune 

 

Don't think Miller actually had the virus he was just in close contact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such a difficult thing to wrap your head around. It's a truly extraordinary situation for the Canucks and the NHL are finding themselves in. 

 

The logical and most common sense answer is that the Canucks will forfeit their remaining games and their season will be shutdown. I can't support forcing these guys to put themselves out there again this year. If the players WANT to play, let them play. 

 

How they solve the final point totals is also unimportant for me at this point. I would be fine with it being solved by some sort of simulation based on winning percentage and/or previous record vs teams in the division. Somebody smarter than me can figure that one out.  

 

It would be super Canucks-esque to also be forced to forfeit their chance at winning the draft lottery if they don't finish their season. 

 

We have to forget about the sport for a minute and just focus on the people and individuals involved. I agree with the use of the word "inhumane" in this context. 100% of the team will not be 100% healthy even after they all are negative. It's just an ugly ugly situation. It's not even just the physical aspect of it but also the mental repercussions of getting the virus. 

 

I don't want to watch these guys start playing and panting on the bench, struggling to finish their shifts and lose games 9-1. Why make them do that after what they have been through?  

  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's such a difficult thing to wrap your head around. It's a truly extraordinary situation for the Canucks and the NHL are finding themselves in. 

 

The logical and most common sense answer is that the Canucks will forfeit their remaining games and their season will be shutdown. I can't support forcing these guys to put themselves out there again this year. If the players WANT to play, let them play. 

 

How they solve the final point totals is also unimportant for me at this point. I would be fine with it being solved by some sort of simulation based on winning percentage and/or previous record vs teams in the division. Somebody smarter than me can figure that one out.  

 

It would be super Canucks-esque to also be forced to forfeit their chance at winning the draft lottery if they don't finish their season. 

 

We have to forget about the sport for a minute and just focus on the people and individuals involved. I agree with the use of the word "inhumane" in this context. 100% of the team will not be 100% healthy even after they all are negative. It's just an ugly ugly situation. It's not even just the physical aspect of it but also the mental repercussions of getting the virus. 

 

I don't want to watch these guys start playing and panting on the bench, struggling to finish their shifts and lose games 9-1. Why make them do that after what they have been through?  

I'd forfeit the draft lottery, if it also meant we couldn't slip either.   Just do points percentage, already a precedent for it, that's how it was done last season. 

  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i think no revolutionary idea is needed here. let every team play as many games as they can until the regular season is over. then just rank them based on their winning percentage, like last year.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they'll do a points percentage thing over playing meaningless games. For potential playoff teams (the 4th and 5th place teams that are close enough) they can do a one game or 3 game play in (I don't think we need a 5 game play-in, especially since it might only be 2 or 4 teams involved this time around).

Edited by c00kies
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...