The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A prediction on how the Canucks could play all 56 games. This season is about to get weirder

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

8 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

One other thing I find interesting in that article or at least something that caught my eye is this part

Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Jimmy Vesey and Jordie Benn are the only players from the 22 listed on Vancouver’s NHL roster, at the time the team was shut down, who are not in COVID protocol.

2 of those players should catch your eye Miller and Benn both where out in the beginning of the season under the Covid protocol, I wonder if they are immune 

Benn was the player that actually had the virus, Miller was a close contact and that is why he was out. Miller never had it. Immune maybe, but Hawryluk had it in Ottawa and has got it again so who knows.

the ideal way to make this work is to cut the canucks schedule and make it so the canucks play each team only 6 times as oppose to 8.. that way it'll still be fair to the teams battling out for home ice advantage as they all get to play the canucks the same amount of time to pad their standing. with the exception of montreal who already played all the games against the canucks i mean it's pretty much all a foregone conclusion they'll be the 4th best team.. if calgary somehow gets within 3 points of montreal after montreal finish their 56th games? then maybe schedule 2 games vs the canucks.. if they win 1 then play the next.. if they lose the 1st then season's done? 

canucks have

5 vs oilers

2 vs jets

3 vs flames

3 vs laffs

4 vs sens

so take 2 games out vs oilers

take both games out vs jets

take 2 game out vs flames

1 vs laffs

2 vs sens

and if the flames gets within 3 or 4 points of montreal.. then they can schedule the 2 games they lost vs the canucks to see if they can win both to pass montreal in the standing.. 

and then use point percentage to determine the canucks position in terms of the draft lottery.

• Cheers 1

The NHL should allow us to forfeit some or all of the remaining games AND we should get a shot at the draft lottery.  Of course it isn't going to happen because we all know that the NHL doesn't want to treat the Canucks fairly.  But the reason this would be fair is that the first draft pick is supposed to go to the worst team.  If we are unable to play because of factors beyond our control and we end up with the worst record then why should we also forfeit our draft pick?  Maybe we should have another coin toss with Buffalo (they're having a poor season even without any excuses).  We've been getting the poop end of the stick for so long that we don't think we deserve good things even when we do.  The draft pick was always meant to be a way to help struggling teams, not a random bonus for middle-of-the-pack teams.  The NHL could do the right thing and help us out but, of course, they aren't going to.  I still love hockey and I want my Canucks to get well but the NHL is a steaming cesspool of corruption and will never willingly do the right thing.  Go Canucks Go!

14 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I think they'll do a points percentage thing over playing meaningless games. For potential playoff teams (the 4th and 5th place teams that are close enough) they can do a one game or 3 game play in (I don't think we need a 5 game play-in, especially since it might only be 2 or 4 teams involved this time around.

I suppose Canucks brass could argue they still had a chance to catch up IF MTL loses a lot, and then could argue they should be a play in round ....  at this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Canucks have already players their last game.   This season has to go down as the first or second strangest year ever.   Not 100% sure, but think the season was cancelled during the Spanish Flu...and of course two half seasons and an entire season during the lockdown.   

42 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The NHL should allow us to forfeit some or all of the remaining games AND we should get a shot at the draft lottery.  Of course it isn't going to happen because we all know that the NHL doesn't want to treat the Canucks fairly.  But the reason this would be fair is that the first draft pick is supposed to go to the worst team.  If we are unable to play because of factors beyond our control and we end up with the worst record then why should we also forfeit our draft pick?  Maybe we should have another coin toss with Buffalo (they're having a poor season even without any excuses).  We've been getting the poop end of the stick for so long that we don't think we deserve good things even when we do.  The draft pick was always meant to be a way to help struggling teams, not a random bonus for middle-of-the-pack teams.  The NHL could do the right thing and help us out but, of course, they aren't going to.  I still love hockey and I want my Canucks to get well but the NHL is a steaming cesspool of corruption and will never willingly do the right thing.  Go Canucks Go!

lol what kind of logic is this? we should be allow to forfeit all the remaining games so we can have the worse record and win the draft lottery? i guess all the other teams that were affected by covid at some point should have all their game/season forfeited too since they weren't gonna make the playoff.. you logic makes 0 sense.. all the other teams might as well have some positive covid test and forfeit their season to win the lottery too then.

9 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

My believe is as long as the Canucks can play their games vs the playoff teams prior to the start of the playoffs the playoffs can start for the Canadian Division. This is where it gets weird I predict the Canucks Flames and Sens will all be playing games after the playoffs begin.

Except the Canucks have 4 games in 7 nights against the Sens before the playoffs begin.  You can't schedule make-up games against the Oilers and Jets during that time as they are already playing each other.  

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol what kind of logic is this? we should be allow to forfeit all the remaining games so we can have the worse record and win the draft lottery? i guess all the other teams that were affected by covid at some point should have all their game/season forfeited too since they weren't gonna make the playoff.. you logic makes 0 sense.. all the other teams might as well have some positive covid test and forfeit their season to win the lottery too then.

What is the purpose of the draft lottery?  Think about it.

I didn't say that we should automatically "win" I said that we should be allowed to have a shot at it even if we have to forfeit some games because of Covid.  If other teams are in the same position then they should also get a shot at it.  No other teams are in the same position right now so I can only comment on what is, not what could happen.  I was responding to the idea that if we have to forfeit games then we might not even get to participate in the draft lottery as well.  That wouldn't be fair.

Also, I have to admit that I think that the NHL is corrupt and treats the Canucks poorly in general.  That I don't know for sure but it sure seems that way.  The NHL seems completely corrupt from where I sit.  The whole "game management" thing has me completely angry at the NHL and I've lost all respect for them.  You can disagree with me there if you like.  But how can people have any respect for the NHL when the concept of "game management" exists?  The Tim Peel story vanished far too quickly for my liking.  But that is only one indication that the NHL has lost all concept of fairness in pursuit of money and favouring certain markets over others.  

Go Canucks Go!

8 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Canucks could choose to forfeit those games.  Let the team decide to do what they want.  I am comfortable with giving those games up but one consideration is player salaries because they are based on games played. 

But as the draft is concerned, the league will do whatever is in their power to prevent the Canucks from getting the first pick.

All good points

Is there a mechanism in the nhl to actually forfeit all 19 games? Does the opponent team get the 2 points?

I am very anxious to hear from our players, their opinions and feelings about the season

I hope they are startin to feel better and all families involved are getting healthy

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

the ideal way to make this work is to cut the canucks schedule and make it so the canucks play each team only 6 times as oppose to 8.. that way it'll still be fair to the teams battling out for home ice advantage as they all get to play the canucks the same amount of time to pad their standing. with the exception of montreal who already played all the games against the canucks i mean it's pretty much all a foregone conclusion they'll be the 4th best team.. if calgary somehow gets within 3 points of montreal after montreal finish their 56th games? then maybe schedule 2 games vs the canucks.. if they win 1 then play the next.. if they lose the 1st then season's done? 

canucks have

5 vs oilers

2 vs jets

3 vs flames

3 vs laffs

4 vs sens

so take 2 games out vs oilers

take both games out vs jets

take 2 game out vs flames

1 vs laffs

2 vs sens

and if the flames gets within 3 or 4 points of montreal.. then they can schedule the 2 games they lost vs the canucks to see if they can win both to pass montreal in the standing.. 

and then use point percentage to determine the canucks position in terms of the draft lottery.

love the idea and great work,

the way you suggested it though we end up playing each team differently than you suggested, and it seems to favor the canucks over calgary and montreal.

If there’s a good thing about this horrible situation, it’s that the Canucks seem to be garnering some support around the league and media.

When old guard such as Brent and Daryl Sutter start speaking out, obviously in huge concern for their son/nephew, that’s good. When players on other teams, such as Adam Lowry of the Jets, start speaking out in support of the Canucks, that is good. And when the talking heads on CBC and sportsnet start disregarding any trade possibilities with the Canucks, and just hope for the health and well being of the players, coaches and staff, that is good.

I cant see the NHLPA approving any rushed scenario, and I can see other teams players and coaches supporting the Canucks.

.It seems the only people who want to force a quick return and season completion for the Canucks are owners and the NHL brass. Even then, I can’t imagine the Aqualinis wanting to potentially do long term damage to their investments. 

Right now, the Canucks, correct me if I’m wrong, would be selecting 8th over all in the draft. I would be completely satisfied if the NHL took a snap shoot of the standings, canceled the Canucks season, and arbitrarily granted the Canucks the 8th pick, with the usual lottery draw potential. Let the chips for the other teams fall where they may.

Get well soon Canucks, we all care for you! Stay safe everyone!

• Cheers 2

I hate to say this, but this extended layoff may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Canucks.  Montreal very well may have played us back into the race, while we have been able to rest and heal from some injuries.  They have burned their Games in hand on us, and are now 8 points ahead with 19 left, and have Price and Gallagher out for the near future.  We have 2 extra games left against Ottawa, and play have 1 less game against the top 3 (TML, EDM, WIN).

I'm not saying we get in, it is still a huge uphill battle, but not unreasonable.  If the go 9w-10L, we need to go 13-6, pretty much the pace we were playing before the virus hit.