The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

20 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

They fluky made the playoffs, would have missed if it was a whole season

Your level of certainty is confusing since they didn’t actually play the whole season. Is this some kind of new analytics that I’m not aware of?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

First problem you have here is we don't know what Podz is yet. WE DON'T KNOW IF HE CAN PLAY IN THE NHL. NEVER MIND A TOP 6 ROLE.

second I get just over 20m according to capfriendly and that is with Pearson signed Podz at .925m rookie contract. 11F, 2D and 2G

Which tells us one thing right away EP and QH isn't getting 10 mill plus deals maybe 3 years at 7 mill each. (so 20-14= 6 mill) 

So 6 mill to fill out a 13 forward .700m-.800m

And 4 dmen. after the 13 forward about 5.2m for 4 dmen.

That is if Holby or Myers doesn't get claimed in the expansion draft

And truthfully, this year has been a very good year for Benning in the context that Petey and Hughes likely won't be asking for the moon, nor have they earned it. 

• Cheers 1

once again, i will try to explain to everyone that seems to be missing the point of how real analysts decide what the value of a player is.

Body of work, generally you take the last 3 years of a players performance than you analyze trends and predict where his performance will go from there.

the most important factor is the body of work, i don't know exactly what that value is but is probably somewhere around 50%

than you analyze trends and predict whether his performance will increase or decrease.

so taking that info pearsons last 3 seasons

pearson played 121 gp scored 68 points 36G 32A playing 16:30

lets say so a forward that scores 0.5ppg playing 16:30 against top competition is worth 4. 5 million a year (a realistic estimate)

now we have to analyze his trends, offensivley i would grade his value dropped by about 2 million and defensively it stayed about the same. lets value offence at 60% of the total value to a contract. so 2million *0.6=1.2 million

tanner pearsons value = body of work - trend

tanner pearsons value = 4.5 million - 1.2million

tanner pearsons value = 3.3 million. roughly( but only for the very next season, to calculate any years beyond you must add  a prediction of where the player will be)

the capologists in the nhl use this method,(although the calculation's would probably have modifiers for every random stat )

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

First problem you have here is we don't know what Podz is yet. WE DON'T KNOW IF HE CAN PLAY IN THE NHL. NEVER MIND A TOP 6 ROLE.

second I get just over 20m according to capfriendly and that is with Pearson signed Podz at .925m rookie contract. 11F, 2D and 2G

Which tells us one thing right away EP and QH isn't getting 10 mill plus deals maybe 3 years at 7 mill each. (so 20-14= 6 mill) 

Are you kidding me?  Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  Much better.  Even Benning himself said Podkolzin will be a top 6 forward right away...

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

Should have kept recipts on all the "Benning has learned not to sign bad UFA contracts to old declining players anymore!" takes because he had no cap space last year.

I was wanting to hear from all those Faithful Fans who said, " All Jim's bad contracts willl be gone next season, almost like he had a plan and knew what he was doing"

what say they now?

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I was wanting to hear from all those Faithful Fans who said, " All Jim's bad contracts willl be gone next season, almost like he had a plan and knew what he was doing"

what say they now?

i say this a pretty good contract

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you kidding me?  Podkolzin is better than Hoglander.  Much better.  Even Benning himself said Podkolzin will be a top 6 forward right away...

nice to have a magic ball hope it works.

But for real the dude hasn't even played a AHL game never mind a NHL game yet

I have the exact same feeling as when we traded for Potvin and Boothe and when we signed Ericksson

should we just start mailing our grocery bags with eye holes and JB ' initials to Aqua Velva ?

9 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Are EP and QH worth 10 each? Not yet. Bridge isn't the worst idea.

He pulled it off with 6.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

And truthfully, this year has been a very good year for Benning in the context that Petey and Hughes likely won't be asking for the moon, nor have they earned it. 

even if they had big years the Cap math tells the whole story 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

I can't think of a time as a Canucks fan that I had so little hope for the franchise. 

Benning's reign of idiocy continues. Team in cap trouble and still years away from even being a hopeful contender, let alone an actual one. 

Terrible signing after terrible signing. 

Fans not holding the Canucks leadership accountable.

Starting the think this is what those Messier years must've felt like. 

Please ... you have no idea if you think now is a dark time ... lift your head in the air ... smell what JB is cooking. :towel:

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

disagree

Because you base your contract evaluations only on a players last 3 years which does not factor in the flat cap, the potential risk of a player in that age range starting to decline, or what that contract will look like if a young plyer pushes him to the bottom 6.

In a flat cap covid environment combined with all the other pre covid bad contracts this is an overpayment.

Lets ask Sven Baertschi who was the last Horvat winger who got signed to one of these where he ended up.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

first of all Stupid GM if he did 

Might have said could be 

And I am sure he didn't say next year