The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

12 minutes ago, Screw said:

I like what Person brings.  Since joining Vancouver he had been a productive scorer, physical presence, and a has played 2nd line minutes.  Lol @ all the hate here.   At 28, he will be in his prime throughout these three years.   He is a quality player.  The contract is not as outrageous as the drama queens will have you believe.

Comments like this to collect upvotes is like collecting flys at the garage dump. Hold some poop and they’ll come right in.  instead of resigning the most abundant player in the NHL to market value in a historic buyers market. Why not lay low and see if you can do a little something like the hawks did with some cap flexibility? 

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I have done a lot of defending Jim buuuuut seriously I can't even. No hate for TP I thought flipping Gud for him was a great move but he's a place holder 3 years is too long. 

He's only.protectec for a year and he's only 29.  Not like he's on his last contract.  He's still got at least 4 years of high level play in him.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's only.protectec for a year and he's only 29.  Not like he's on his last contract.  He's still got at least 4 years of high level play in him.

whats the point of drafting well if you road block their chances to earn a roster spot.

I have no problem with this contract,  The guy is only 28 and he is a solid gritty player who can play up and down the lineup and can play powerplay and PK.  I'd take this Pearson contract over Jake's contract any day of the week.  Good signing.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

whats the point of drafting well if you road block their chances to earn a roster spot.

Because you can't have a team if drafted players and you can't have a team of young guns.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, stawns said:

Because you can't have a team if drafted players and you can't have a team of young guns.  

Also, we don't have another prospect player anywhere close to stepping into the same role as Tanner.  Kole Lind is getting closer but he will need to be groomed and he will likely start on the 4th line.  Tanner has more skill than Gaudette and he is more versatile as he can play both PP and PK.  I'm hoping to see more from Gaudette though and I think he's getting close but he's not there yet.  I'm happy with this 3 year signing.  TP will be a good role model for the young guns and he's worth the money.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

He probably would have gotten 1x1.75 in free agency.  I would have been OK at 2x2. He got too much money and too much term, like many of Benning’s signings. 

Look at last years signings that were cheaper contracts - Hoffman 1 year x 4 million 21 points 

Jesper Fast - 3 years 2 mil per 17 points 

Granlund - 1 year 3.75 per 17 points 

Ryan - 1 year 1 million 14 points

Soderberg - 1 year 1 million 14 points

Maroon - 2 years 1.8 per 18 points 

Haula - 1 year 1.75 million 13 points 

Brassard - 1 year 1 million 16 points 

Sheary - 1 year 875k 14 points 

Namestikov - 2 years 2 million per 13 points

Lol... lots of overpaid there. 

Chicago just got two solid young players for taking Brett Connolly’s $3.5M salary for 2 more years. Although he has struggled this season, his numbers in the previous 2 compare favourably to Pearson’s.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

There's still an entire off season to figure it out. Worst case scenario, we go with Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Beagle as our centers. Maybe Lind gets a look at a sheltered 3C role or even Jasek. Maybe Sutter signs a cheap deal. Or add someone like Carl Soderberg on a cheap contract as a stop gap if a young player isn't ready.

Pearson is like Chris Higgins in that he can be used in all situations. At 3.25, his cap hit is fine for what he provides. It also provides Bo some stability on wing in which he hasn't had until the past couple of seasons.

Wouldn't it make more sense to not sign this deal + get rid of Virtanen and use that combined cap, for example, for a legit 2W for Bo? Perhaps one that's actually good at passing which he's pretty much never had. Or use that money or a legit top-4 D which this team still lacks and has no means of replacing internally as of now. Or keep all the money to keep your options open.

Lind or even Jasek at 3C? You do realize C depth and overall defensive ability at center is a weak point of ours right?

The more you dig into our roster and all the different options and possibilities in the off-season, the less sense it makes to commit to this contract at this point. It's less about the contract itself but more its opportunity cost.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1