The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes!

Everyone needs to calm down. We are fine for space for next season. We will lose someone, likely Holtby, in the expansion draft. Holtby was signed to put in front of Seattle.

And Seattle would select Holtby why exactly?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

According to Capfriendly, now that Demko and Pearson are signed, Canucks now have just over $17 mil in cap space for next year. 

is that enough to sign Petey and Hughes to Brock-like bridge deals, with remaining to fill out a roster? 

Less than $17 million once you include whatever ELC bonuses push into next season.

With 10-11 players left to sign including your two superstars and replacing a top 4D in Edler.  Assume $13-15 for our stars... that is $2-4 million for another 8 players?  Even assuming the Ferland is on LTIR again (which he hasn’t announced), and a bought out Holtby... we don’t have enough cap space left to sign players to minimum salary players.

I guess the plan is to run out of cap space and force Hughes to sign a bridge for $2 million or hold out?

Who were we competing against?  Why not wait until after expansion?  He is under contract with us.

When we give up assets to make cap space this offseason, people need to think about signings like this.

• Hydration 2

12 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

According to Capfriendly, now that Demko and Pearson are signed, Canucks now have just over $17 mil in cap space for next year. 

is that enough to sign Petey and Hughes to Brock-like bridge deals, with remaining to fill out a roster? 

Of the players coming, ie Podz, Lind, Tryamkin, etc, only Tryamkin will require something more than an entry level contract (if he comes)

The year after that, Luongos penalty, Louie, Roussel, Beagle, Holtby come off the books, more than enough to resign Bo and Brock and others. We still have Ferlands  $3.5 on LTIR we can use.

And with the Seattle pick, if they choose someone with a large cap hit, even better.

I think money/player (ie trade for pick) could have been used else where, but I’m not losing sleep over this.

Definitely, will be 2-3 yr bridges obviously. 

Lets say ballpark; Hughes 5-6M? Pettersson 6-7M?

4 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

....45 points in 69 games last year. Career average 35-40 points a year, plays both sides of the puck well. He’s a great guy to hold down the 2nd line wing spot until someone can take it from him. 3 years is a perfect timeline for that, and he’s only 28 years old. I just don’t get the outrage on this one. 

You cherrypicked a career year that was massively propped up by empty net stats. Otherwise, he's been very unproductive since the start of the 2018-2019 season, and he isn't getting any younger.

He warranted a far cheaper contract based on his play this season and in last year's playoffs.

• Hydration 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
Just now, Pickly said:

Bahaha his inconsistent play all season sums up the player he is. He’d get 2.5 tops if he hit UFA status in a flat cap. Over pay, yet AGAIN. 

Yup you’re right Pickly 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yes!

Everyone needs to calm down. We are fine for space for next season. We will lose someone, likely Holtby, in the expansion draft. Holtby was signed to put in front of Seattle.

As we sit right now, projected to have around 22.6 million in space. Figure combined, Hughes and Pettersson will be about 14 - 15 million of that, and the plan is to add in more guys on ELC's etc, for next season.

Eriksson will be either bought out, freeing up 2 million, or traded at 50% retained for 1 year, which would bump that 2 million to 3 million.

Seattle is likely not going to take Holtby. I mean, that would be excellent, but it doesn't seem realistic.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

He’s got like two points in the last 15 months.

Total passenger. 

11 points in 33 games for .33 pts/game this season. Assuming you’ve watched this team play hockey (or at least try to imitate something like it) this season you shouldn’t find it surprising that his numbers have dipped a little this year?

• Hydration 3
5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That’s not true at all 

It’s absolutely true and there are studies that look at player production. 

This is a slow 3rd liner who is going to get slower. 

• Like 1
Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Seattle is likely not going to take Holtby. I mean, that would be excellent, but it doesn't seem realistic.

Seattle’s GM would have to be pretty drunk to take Holtby.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Edler will be back and will have a NTC.  He will also come at a significant discount.

*signed after the ED

• Hydration 1
Just now, aGENT said:

I don't get this argument... It's not like we could make Pearson's contact expire a year sooner and sign Toffoli instead.

By all means I can listen to suggestions to let Virtanen walk instead... But we still would have needed another $1.5m. 

He didn't say peak, he said prime. And it's really mid 20's iirc where athletes peak.

It’s bad contracts just like this one that cost us Tofolli (Ericsson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussell)

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Anyone that has won a cup would do the same 

For sure. Can't let those rings get dull. :lol:

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And Seattle would select Holtby why exactly?

Because, we've prepared well for the draft and who we will be exposing. He is likely the best player that we will make available, his contract was structured so that we could make him available, and as he's a former cup winner, he'll be a good influence on a new group and help bring them together.

He'll bring stability to their crease while not being locked in for a long period of time, allowing them future flexibility on who they want to keep.

5 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

The contract is .5M, 1 year and a NTC to much for my liking. I dunno what is it is with Benning and handing out NTC’s to depth player. The guy can’t learn from his mistakes. 

The NTC is only for the 1st year. Then becomes a M-NTC in year 2 and then no trade clauses for year 3 which would be his UFA year. He's been in our top 6 during pretty much his entire time here, so I wouldn't call him a "depth" player. He's not having the best season this year, but his overall time as a Canuck so far has been above average of his career prior offensively. He can PK as well. He took a 500k "pay cut" from his previous contract.

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seattle’s GM would have to be pretty drunk to take Holtby.  :lol:

Let's hope they are hopeless alcoholics.

• Haha 1