The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

Leaving Awkward Moment GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

You can keep being happy brown nosing what is basically 2010-2017 Edmonton Oilers levels of incompetence. 

Please tell me more about the good young players needing to be surrounded by overpaid veterans and throw in an extra spicy kevin lowe tier 1 fans line.

25 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Once again benning showing he has no plan .

Not sure about this. I don't always like the plan but this signing shows that JB definitely does have a plan and that is to have Tanner Pearson lead us to unparalleled heights in the playoffs for the next 3 years!

Seriously, this move is an adjunct to his original plan to shelter the younger players as they take on more prominent roles. In a year or two I suspect TP will have a nice spot somewhere on the third line where his consistent play and professional attitude will be appreciated. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

According to CapFriendly, they are. Lind has 27 games to play before he's eligible, MacEwan has 5 (might get there if we get ack to playing) OJ has 12 games.

That is for minimum exposure requirements, not for exemption.

Capfriendly literally gives the list of exempt players.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

According to CapFriendly, they are. Lind has 27 games to play before he's eligible, MacEwan has 5 (might get there if we get ack to playing) OJ has 12 games.

No those games are to meet exposure minimum which we already have enough forwards for. It’s confusing but all three of those guys need to be protected or exposed. That’s why JB didn’t give Pearson any draft protection

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kj29 said:

Tyler Myers - 6M
Loui Eriksson - 6M
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M
Michael Ferland - 3.5M

Tanner Pearson - 3.25M
Roberto Luengo 3M
Jake Virtanen 3M
Antoinne Roussel - 3M
Jay Beagle - 3M
Jordie Benn - 2M
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

spacer.png

Show me an NHL team, Eriksson clearly a dead loss and an exception to what I am saying, that does not pay guys like Pearson & Meyers?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

People freaking out here, yet have no idea what plans Benning has in place for the ED and other contracts that might be moved or bought-out. For all we know LE Rousell and Holtby are all off the roster next season and I think JV is done as well. Pearson is a good fit in the top 9 who can slot next to Horvat as well. 

People need to chill out and wait till the off-season is done before posting hot takes that 4 months from now will be used to show how silly these takes are. 

Benning should be GM of the year if he manages to get LE and Holtby off the roster next season without giving up major draft picks.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Bigger issue is even if the team fired Benning. 

Who would you get to replace him? 

I can't think of any GM's off the top of my head  the team can pick up.

Unless we want the Hunter's to be Coach and GM's? 

Worse, we still have this contract.

It's better than Eriksson's, but that's a pretty low bar. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bigger issue is even if the team fired Benning. 

Who would you get to replace him? 

I can't think of any GM's off the top of my head  the team can pick up.

Unless we want the Hunter's to be Coach and GM's? 

Worse, we still have this contract.

It's better than Eriksson's, but that's a pretty low bar. 

He’s not getting fired he has 2 years left. So we get to watch the downers get mad for another 2 years :)

• Haha 3

Nothing amuses me more than the 

FIRE BENNING posts from the same people that just the other day were saying

AMAZING JOB BENNING

Well that's not true....I am over reading Calgary Puck posts and it's a hoot

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That number refers the number of games before they meet that quota to count as the type of player exposed but they are still eligible to be selected by Seattle. They just don't count towards the minimum that teams must expose in each type of player slot (forward or defender)

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

No those games are to meet exposure minimum which we already have enough forwards for. It’s confusing but all three of those guys need to be protected or exposed. That’s why JB didn’t give Pearson any draft protection

I may be reading it wrong, but even if I am, there is no one on there who would be a make or break for us to lose. Seattle will likely be looking to leverage whatever they can, like Las Vegas did, so its extremely possible that we offer Seattle a pick in exchange for selecting the player that we want them to take.

Any way you look at this, its not a big deal, there are other teams in worse shape.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benning should be GM of the year if he manages to get LE and Holtby off the roster without giving up major draft picks.

Well stall exact same contract cost a2nd. Holtby buyout saves 4 million. My point was simply let's see what the roster looks like before camp next season since a lot of things we are not privy to could be at play.

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

You can keep being happy brown nosing what is basically 2010-2017 Edmonton Oilers levels of incompetence. 

Please tell me more about the good young players needing to be surrounded by overpaid veterans and throw in an extra spicy kevin lowe tier 1 fans line.

I mean the fact that we have good young playerS means we’re already miles ahead of Edmonton in 2010-17.... ours weren’t even gifted to us :o

Not bad at all. Solid winger who has fantastic chemistry with Bo and knows what it takes to win the Cup. The AAV is reasonable. A bit overpriced but will be a expansion bait if Seattle decide to pick him. Need to find a way to lock up Petey and Huggy Bear. Let’s go, JB!

• Like 1

Just now, Dixon Ward said:

I think Pearson is a bit better 200 foot player than Toffoli.  I think he is close offensively.  I don't think nhl contracts are determined solely on your last 30 games, if they were then Toffoli is worth 9 million.  1 year and 1 million less is not bad and, I think, accurate for what Tanner brings, compared to Toffoli.  We didn't have the cap for Toffoli anyway.  It also gave room for Hogz to get going.  Sutter, Baertschi, and Spooner are off the books next year and Pearson is 500k cheaper.  This will also leave some room for Podz and maybe Lind to earn a spot. I think JB did fine with this one.

Let's take away Toffoli out the conversation and even looking at things this signing looks pretty bad if you compare the free agent signings 

Carl Sodeberg - 1 Million
Derick Brassard - 1 Million
Mike Hoffman - 4 Million
Mikko Koivu - 1.5 Million
Mikael Granlund - 3.75 Million (1 year term)

these people either just as good or better offensive stats than Pearson when they signed those contracts.

• Upvote 1