The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

Just now, Devron44 said:

Oh we are in excellent shape for the expansion draft. Something JB has done very well with. All the NTC that people complain about have no barring on the Expansion Draft. We are probably on the top of the list for being best positioned for the draft

Give Seattle a Happy Birthday 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022 or 23 in exchange for taking Holtby, and sign another backup / depth guy in case DiPietro isn't ready to step into the backup position for next season.

I like Holtby, and it was a good move bringing in someone experienced in handling pressure, just in case Demko needed some relief. He will provide a solid option for Seattle in goal and brings a lot of experience.

Alternatively give them a Happy Birthday 4th or 5th and tell them to take Virtanen. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benning should be GM of the year if he manages to get LE and Holtby off the roster next season without giving up major draft picks.

If I am not mistaken to buy out Loui? 

This off season we have to pay a $1 mill ''signing'' bonus. Then Eriksson has $3 mill in salary totalling $4 mill still owed. That can be bought out, albeit paying out paying 2/3rds the $3 mill salary. Net cost to buy out = $3 mill.

2021/22 cap hit $1 mill + $1.333 = $2.333                in liu of $6mil cap hit

2022/23 cap hit $1.33mill                                          in liu of $0

Clearly Holtby will be exposed.  Logically either he or Jake would be selected.  Or Meyer who we could otherwise protect but for min games required not met other D.

If the COVID flat cap wasn’t a thing this would be a fair deal. 

Unfortunately it is a thing. There are bargain contracts that look better than this. 

It’s like 500k, or 1 year less, off from being a adequate deal. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Wow...what a bunch of cheap critics in this thread. Pearson got a reasonable contract for what he brings to the team. Don’t forget that JB has a little extra to spend if the reports on Beagle being out long term are true. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Clearly Holtby will be exposed.  Logically either he or Jake would be selected.  Or Meyer who we could otherwise protect but for min games required not met other D.

Logically one can fairly easily sign a 30+ year old backup goalie to put up meh numbers at a fraction of the cash in today’s environment.  Jake at least has upside.

Sigh, overall I like Pearson and he's decent in a depth role but just not a fan of the $3.25M cap hit.  If Pearson can produce at least at a 30-40 point clip for each of the three seasons then I think it will be a fair deal.

The good news about Pearson is that he's only turning 29 this year and is respectable two-way forward who can fill in a top-6 role if required.  He'll be 31 at the end of this deal which is about right. 

The bad news about Pearson is that on the Canucks he has to fill a top-6 role.  He's not terribly slow but he's also not particularly fleet of foot.

If the Canucks really will not have Beagle for the rest of this year and next year, then I can see why they want to have Pearson around as the veteran in the room.  Expiring UFAs this summer who are around the same age and size as Pearson are:  Hyman, Saad, Dzingle and Janmark.  I'm excluding Landeskog and Hall as they're outliers.  Dzingle's probably the most comparable and had a $3.375M cap hit when he signed it a few years ago.

Hyman is going to get a decent raise.

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

As per Capfriendly they aren’t exempt. I will not try again after this discussion. 

Lind OJ and MacEwen are in fact needed for expansion protection. Seattle can pick any player who has two years or more of professional hockey they played in the AHL which is professional hockey. They need to be protected buddy. As per Capfriendly. 

I didn't want to re-post all the screenshots, but I stand corrected.

I still believe that we will likely make them an offer of a draft pick in exchange for taking the player of our choice, or one of a small selection, same as many teams did with Seattle.

• Cheers 1