The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

Just now, spur1 said:

Wow...what a bunch of cheap critics in this thread. Pearson got a reasonable contract for what he brings to the team. Don’t forget that JB has a little extra to spend if the reports on Beagle being out long term are true. 

Problem is we badly need to replace that role Beagle handles.  No real extra space in practical terms. 

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So the priority was to overpay and lock up this guy. Doing this was so urgent and necessary BEFORE Quinn and Petey. :picard:

Do you have any insight on the Quinn and Petey contracts?

Just now, canuck2288 said:

What a dumb move 

why? 

he is on the decline 

time to fire JB....still has not fired Green and now this waste of cap space 

pathetic decision Jim 

At this point I don't think firing JB is gonna do us any good. We need new ownership cause Aqua has to sign off on this.

#FireAqua 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Meh.  A lot of panicking over nothing as he could still be traded for something.  Realistically, we wouldn't have traded him this season anyways because of covid.  

Entry draft protection on the other hand....

He doesn’t have draft protection unless they decide to protect him 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

At this point I don't think firing JB is gonna do us any good. We need new ownership cause Aqua has to sign off on this.

#FireAqua 

Aquilini allocates the funds Benning is the one who needs to use the money wisely.  This is 95% all on Benning

Edited by iinatcc

27 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Me too.

Too much whining over Toffoli.  We could not afford him last off season.  Yes better, but Pearson is still a solid NHL middle 6 winger.  We are adding Podz on right side. We did not pay $5 mill x 6.

We still needed a LW. Even if you consider Hoglander our top left winger.  Kole Lind, is actually a natural RW, has been playing pivot in Utica. He was not heading to our left side regardless.

Maybe Gadjovich will eventually surface?  More likely, we will buy out Eriksson this off season. We will still see another UFA this summer, be it a 3C or LW.

Between the likes of Podkolzin, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, and perhaps someone like McDonaugh, no matter what capacity these forward prospects end up playing in for us, we're getting a nice influx of youth. It's starting to remind me of how the LA Kings keep quietly bringing in young players from the farm. Before anyone knows it they are contributing members of the team. Drafts like the 2017 one (Lind and Gadjovich) might seem so far and gone at times, but before we know it, these are guys that will eventually be in our lineup and make our team a heck of a lot deeper. Heck, Jasek is a 6th rounder from the 2015 draft, and I don't think it'll be too much longer until he gets a look with us. Same with our defence too. Tryamkin is probably coming back, and namely, Rathbone and Woo, will be very important players for us on our blueline.

I feel bad for so many of the fans. For one reason or another, they get so caught up in all the doom and gloom and buy into the narrative that Benning has no plan... I for one think that we're becoming an incredibly competitive and deep organization. I just think that there are some layers to it that are harder to see... We also likely have another top-10 pick coming - so that's another thing to look forward to!

Demko, Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Podkolzin, Rathbone, Hoglander, Lind, Woo, 2021 top-10/15 pick, etc... This team is so young and will continue to grow into a terrific group. Just watch.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Would u protect Lind/Gadj over Gaud? Thats something I would consider 

It is a debate?

Gaudette s not making himself as an obvious 3C cannot miss, will be our guy the next 3 years. So I think I would protect Lind over Gaudette yes. Not Gadg tho.

I would count ''only'' losing Gaudette to Seattle a win.  Unfortunately I would prefer they select Jake; more salary saved.  Won't cry if Meyers is selected, again we save salary.  But I find Meyers pretty darn useful, albeit while overpaid.  

But its a fair discussion? I don't see my outlook as the obvious and only choice. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Meh.  A lot of panicking over nothing as he could still be traded for something.  Realistically, we wouldn't have traded him this season anyways because of covid.  

Entry draft protection on the other hand....

He got trade protection and he is now worth less signed than he he would have as a rental.

That is all you need to know about the value.

Yeah I’m confused on this one. Pearson is an okay guy who barely cuts it as a 2nd liner. I don’t know why we’d invest in him like this when we’ll have enough cap issues signing Petey and Hughes. Plus we have new talent coming up that could fill his position. 
On the plus side, he does have a cup ring, stays relatively healthy and is big enough to withstand physical games like playoffs, and he’s somewhat reliable to add a goal here and there. But still, that’s a surprising contract to me.

Guys..... it's not THAT bad ok??? He's a team guy, got some offensive talent, works hard every shift, still kinda young....

Would you rather have Pearson at $3M+ or Roussel & Bealge at $3M each???

Baby steps Guys... baby steps.......

I am NOT being sarcastic this time!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It is a debate?

Gaudette s not making himself as an obvious 3C cannot miss, will be our guy the next 3 years. So I think I would protect Lind over Gaudette yes. Not Gadg tho.

I would count ''only'' losing Gaudette to Seattle a win.  Unfortunately I would prefer they select Jake; more salary saved.  Won't cry if Meyers is selected, again we save salary.  But I find Meyers pretty darn useful, albeit while overpaid.  

But its a fair discussion? I don't see my outlook as the obvious and only choice. 

Lind is like Reid Boucher 

• Haha 1