The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So the priority was to overpay and lock up this guy. Doing this was so urgent and necessary BEFORE Quinn and Petey. :picard:

It's a priority cuz it's a sign and trade.

Lol.

::D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It is a debate?

Gaudette s not making himself as an obvious 3C cannot miss, will be our guy the next 3 years. So I think I would protect Lind over Gaudette yes. Not Gadg tho.

I would count ''only'' losing Gaudette to Seattle a win.  Unfortunately I would prefer they select Jake; more salary saved.  Won't cry if Meyers is selected, again we save salary.  But I find Meyers pretty darn useful, albeit while overpaid.  

But its a fair discussion? I don't see my outlook as the obvious and only choice. 

Curious who you have protected. I have Lind and Gaudette (maybe just cause I want him to succeed) protected 

EAB24E30-5266-4278-A991-D255804B9D10.png

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Let's take away Toffoli out the conversation and even looking at things this signing looks pretty bad if you compare the free agent signings 

Carl Sodeberg - 1 Million - previous 
Derick Brassard - 1 Million
Mike Hoffman - 4 Million
Mikko Koivu - 1.5 Million
Mikael Granlund - 3.75 Million (1 year term)

these people either just as good or better offensive stats than Pearson when they signed those contracts.

All signed when the world had no idea what to expect and teams had no cap left.  All were 1 year deals.  

Carl Soderberg - 1 Million X 1 year - previous 5X4.75 million, 35 years old
Derick Brassard - 1 MillionX 1 year - previous 5X5 mill, 33 years old
Mike Hoffman - 4 Million X 1 year - previous 5X5.18 mill, 31 yrs old
Mikko Koivu - 1.5 Million X 1 year(retired) - previous 2X5.5 mil, before that 7X6.75 mill, 38 years old
Mikael Granlund - 3.75 Million (1 year term) - previous 3X5.75, same age as Pearson, not as good defensively, and marginally better numbers than Pearson and still more expensive even in the worst free agent market ever.

You are comparing, in general, much older players who were negotiating at the worst possible time for a Free Agent in the history of the league.  They all took one year deals just to have a spot.  These are not, on the whole, a good comparison.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Next he will sign sutter, beagle and roussel 

Beagles injured into next year. And maybe he does sign Sutter to a less cap hit we are down Center’s. You can do better on the sarcasm though. 

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Guys..... it's not THAT bad ok??? He's a team guy, got some offensive talent, works hard every shift, still kinda young....

Would you rather have Pearson at $3M+ or Roussel & Bealge at $3M each???

Baby steps Guys... baby steps.......

I am NOT being sarcastic this time!

Benning is getting paid MILLIONS to take BABY STEPS!! WOW!!!!! :bigblush:

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Nobody cares was Rory has to say Squamfan lol

Yeah. What, is this twitter vermin supposed to be of any significance to anyone? They are certainly not gospel nor worth listening to. No one actually gives a sh*%. Who cares what some 27 year-old burnout has to say?

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

5 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Lind is like Reid Boucher 

Huh? Really?

But all indication is the Lind is also defensively responsible while Boucher was lost in the defensive zone more often than not.

Boucher was going to be top 6 forward or bust, Lind, at least I hope, can be middle 6 winger or 3C in best case scenario.

• Cheers 1

So another contract with

max term

max $$$

and of coarse a ntc or nmc 

yeah I can see why Jb apologists need to find excuses every time he does something.

I doubt he would have done good that in the ufa market. Flat cap COVID excuse.

8 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

true those oiler guys mcdavid draisatl rly bad playre s sutter is better

Yea cuz #97 was such a stealth pick right? The past 3 Oilers Gms have been terrible. They have all sucked at drafting outside of a complete no-brainer and Drai. Holland has reached at 8 with Broberg and signed Kassian to a 4 million year contract who brings nothing to the table but beating up MT.

Like I said earlier I will judge this signing once we see what the team looks like going into camp next year.

As for what Benning has brought to the team, show me another GM who has drafted a 1c, a 1d a1G and elite wingers. 

I have watched this team since the 80s and this is the best young core we have ever had. 

There is nothing wrong with not agreeing with every move but there are so many team's that would kill for what we have going forward. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1