The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Yea cuz #97 was such a stealth pick right? The past 3 Oilers Gms have been terrible. They have all sucked at drafting outside of a complete no-brainer and Drai. Holland has reached at 8 with Broberg and signed Kassian to a 4 million year contract who brings nothing to the table but beating up MT.

Like I said earlier I will judge this signing once we see what the team looks like going into camp next year.

As for what Benning has brought to the team, show me another GM who has drafted a 1c, a 1d a1G and elite wingers. 

I have watched this team since the 80s and this is the best young core we have ever had. 

There is nothing wrong with not agreeing with every move but there are so many team's that would kill for what we have going forward. 

Lol, beating up MT. Good one.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

All signed when the world had no idea what to expect and teams had no cap left.  All were 1 year deals.  

Carl Soderberg - 1 Million X 1 year - previous 5X4.75 million, 35 years old
Derick Brassard - 1 MillionX 1 year - previous 5X5 mill, 33 years old
Mike Hoffman - 4 Million X 1 year - previous 5X5.18 mill, 31 yrs old
Mikko Koivu - 1.5 Million X 1 year(retired) - previous 2X5.5 mil, before that 7X6.75 mill, 38 years old
Mikael Granlund - 3.75 Million (1 year term) - previous 3X5.75, same age as Pearson, not as good defensively, and marginally better numbers than Pearson and still more expensive even in the worst free agent market ever.

You are comparing, in general, much older players who were negotiating at the worst possible time for a Free Agent in the history of the league.  They all took one year deals just to have a spot.  These are not, on the whole, a good comparison.

And for a team that, according to Benning,  is 2 years away from being competitive and with the Free Agent situation being as bad as it is still. Wouldn't signing those older players in cheaper one year deals be a better option to explore this free agency? 

It's worked for Toronto and Montreal. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

And for a team that, according to Benning,  is 2 years away from being competitive and with the Free Agent situation being as bad as it is still. Wouldn't signing those older players in cheaper one year deals be a better option to explore this free agency? 

It's worked for Toronto and Montreal. 

Has it?

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Beep off...Pearson is anything but old deadweight. 

Nowhere near a top 6 forward gramps

only team he makes top 6 is the Canucks and maybe Ottawa 

on the decline and the lack of stats to prove it 

absolute waste of cap space  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Lind is like Reid Boucher 

Disagree.

Boucher was more talented. Had more upside.  His shot still excites me.  

Lind has similar ''must develop NHL athleticism, speed'' challenges.  That is my take on how much i could agree with you? Which is common in most prospects outside the first ten or 15 picks each year. 

Where I disagree is Lind is developing skills that could see him being a useful bottom 6 player.  A bit bigger.  He is willing to battle on the boards, fore check, hound opposing scorers, bang. Has been taking draws, plays multiple positions. He is becoming a complete player. 

Boucher was only going to make it if he was so prolific a scorer? A coach would look past that he did not compete hard enough.  

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Nowhere near a top 6 forward gramps

only team he makes top 6 is the Canucks and maybe Ottawa 

on the decline and the lack of stats to prove it 

absolute waste of cap space  

Some day you may learn grasshopper. 

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Guys..... it's not THAT bad ok??? He's a team guy, got some offensive talent, works hard every shift, still kinda young....

Would you rather have Pearson at $3M+ or Roussel & Bealge at $3M each???

Baby steps Guys... baby steps.......

I am NOT being sarcastic this time!

That is a ridiculous argument.

”He isn’t quite as bad as some of our other bad signings” is no sort of reasonable logic.  

The comparison is how we could have used those cap dollars more wisely... not “it is OK because there are worse examples of cap allocation”

There ie no justification for this signing at this time t be anything but terrible.

It was at the most charitable, at his full market value on the UFA market... in reality probably overpaid compared with what he would have gotten in free agency.

Why sign him now?  Why not wait until after expansion and the draft to see what other options there could be for those cap dollars?  There is no downside to waiting.

Heck, if we had a creative management group we could use our extra protection slots to hide players other teams don’t want to lose.  Like trade for them before expansion for a 5th round pick, and then trade them back to the same team for a 2nd after expansion.  I haven’t seen any rules against that.

I had mentioned in another thread a week ago.  We could use that cap space to accrue assets.  Like could we trade Jake for Palat and a a 2nd?  That gives us a better winger than Pearson for less term and less overall cap dollars once you deduct Virtanen.

We closed ourselves up to all those kinds of opportunities for no reason since there wasn’t a deadline at play.

• Hydration 2
4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I generally try to see deals from

all sides, but I’m having trouble coming up with why this signing is a good idea right now.

$3.25 isn’t crazy bad, but it’s not such a bargain that it has to be done now before the big extensions are done.

Sure, you might overpay in July, but we really can’t find a prospect or a sub-$3.25m player in the offseason? It’s not like Pearson is miles beyond a player who makes less.

I could see arguments for “Its not the worst deal”, but can anyone stand up for  JB and explain why this is the right call?

This pretty much covers it.

You can find reasons as to why it's not awful, but really no legit reason as to why it was necessary at this time given all the moving pieces in the near future both for the Canucks and around the league overall.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Provost said:

That is a ridiculous argument.

”He isn’t quite as bad as some of our other bad signings” is no sort of reasonable logic.  

The comparison is how we could have used those cap dollars more wisely... not “it is OK because there are worse examples of cap allocation”

There ie no justification for this signing at this time t be anything but terrible.

It was at the most charitable, at his full market value on the UFA market... in reality probably overpaid compared with what he would have gotten in free agency.

Why sign him now?  Why not wait until after expansion and the draft to see what other options there could be for those cap dollars?  There is no downside to waiting.

Heck, if we had a creative management group we could use our extra protection slots to hide players other teams don’t want to lose.  Like trade for them before expansion for a 5th round pick, and then trade them back to the same team for a 2nd after expansion.  I haven’t seen any rules against that.

I had mentioned in another thread a week ago.  We could use that cap space to accrue assets.  Like could we trade Jake for Palat and a a 2nd?  That gives us a better winger than Pearson for less term and less overall cap dollars once you deduct Virtanen.

We closed ourselves up to all those kinds of opportunities for no reason since there wasn’t a deadline at play.

Yes but you lose Virt so overall a loss. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

This pretty much covers it.

You can find reasons as to why it's not awful, but really no legit reason as to why it was necessary at this time given all the moving pieces in the near future both for the Canucks and around the league overall.

Guaranteed like last year will be so many ufa value signings...

11 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Lind is like Reid Boucher 

What I also say?

''How come no one is taking Nic Hague?''  FFS a 6'5'' physical D man, with a bomb of a shot, some very serviceable skills was available.  

I said that draft day...

He went the very pick after Lind.

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Would u protect Lind/Gadj over Gaud? Thats something I would consider 

No, because there are likely better forwards you can acquire for cheap that are more worth protecting than these guys.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Actually the mistake was qualifying Jake and letting Toffoli walk. But hindsight is 20/20.

Sometimes players need to share some blame. Jake had looked like he was on the verge of breaking out. Then the playoff he struggled. But maybe it was his first playoff experience, gets a pass. Starts the season on the first line and here we are he has 4 goals on the season. Dude must be a cat cause he’s had about 9 lives now 

• Hydration 3
2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I generally try to see deals from

all sides, but I’m having trouble coming up with why this signing is a good idea right now.

$3.25 isn’t crazy bad, but it’s not such a bargain that it has to be done now before the big extensions are done.

Sure, you might overpay in July, but we really can’t find a prospect or a sub-$3.25m player in the offseason? It’s not like Pearson is miles beyond a player who makes less.

I could see arguments for “Its not the worst deal”, but can anyone stand up for  JB and explain why this is the right call?

What if he signed this exact same contract with a division rival as a UFA, started producing at his career average of almost 0.5 ppg, we struggle due to a lack of depth scoring and then we find out the JB could of signed him to the same contract back before the trade deadline but we lost him because he wanted to focus.on the big contracts in the off season? 

All the same people on here would be screaming 'FiRe Jb' and 'AsSeT mAnAgEmEnT'

• Hydration 1