The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

Couldn’t afford Toffoli for a mil more? Hmmmm

Like Pearson but we don’t need to be signing 3rd liners right now. We need to be saving money for Petey and Hughes and legit top 6 forwards.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I didn't want to re-post all the screenshots, but I stand corrected.

I still believe that we will likely make them an offer of a draft pick in exchange for taking the player of our choice, or one of a small selection, same as many teams did with Seattle.

All good my man. We here the Canuck Fam (at least most here) are all for giving proper information as we all want to give fans the right news. There is so much false and biased information out there. I like your posts and you are always a good contributor to these forums. I didn’t mean to snap back but I just had to be firm with the information on the ED. I love this team just like many on here. We hate to be wrong about the team we love so when someone challenges me on something about the team, I will take them to task. And when I am wrong I will openly admit fault. Thank you Vegas for the discussion and when things open up shop again I’d love grab an In-Out burger and watch a Nucks/Knights game in sin city sometime down the line.

I agree that we will probably make a move so that those kids can be protected. Lind and OJ are on the cusp of breaking into the lineup. Would be tragic if Seattle scooped one of them up.  A trade will help keep our pipeline of youth to keep sprinkling into our lineup with keeping those kids. 

Good chat VegasCanuck!

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its not a ridiculous argument.  He plays in an NHL top 6.

Its not even a bad signing.

Thank you Sir... I wanted to give you a heart but none available....  but here it is:

image.png.fb12d3be2ffd8ec4f9092809e6e28a8c.png

I can't think of a time as a Canucks fan that I had so little hope for the franchise. 

Benning's reign of idiocy continues. Team in cap trouble and still years away from even being a hopeful contender, let alone an actual one. 

Terrible signing after terrible signing. 

Fans not holding the Canucks leadership accountable.

Starting the think this is what those Messier years must've felt like. 

• Thanks 3
  • Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

What if he signed this exact same contract with a division rival as a UFA, started producing at his career average of almost 0.5 ppg, we struggle due to a lack of depth scoring and then we find out the JB could of signed him to the same contract back before the trade deadline but we lost him because he wanted to focus.on the big contracts in the off season? 

All the same people on here would be screaming 'FiRe Jb' and 'AsSeT mAnAgEmEnT'

Then I think we let a division rival eat the contract instead of us and let it be their problem/gamble. He could be another Toffoli (good), Tanev (okay), or Marky (so far not great) and Id rather have another team gamble.

We don’t have the luxury of cap space to hope Pearson returns to form. Pearson isn’t going to be the difference between us taking a step forward next season or not. I can’t imagine Pearson is going to be such an upgrade over a $2-2.5m player. Or a prospect in the system.

Sure we need experience to go with our talent, but what if Podz rolls in next year and kills it? We have another bad contract in Pearson in our bottom 6?

Every dollar is going to count in the off-season every year from here on out. I can’t agree that Pearson is more valuable than $3.25m in free cap space.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

0.3 PPG is a bottom 6 player or at most a middle 9. 

I have no problem re-signing Pearson but why couldn't Benning have waited til the off season knowing it's not going to be favorable for mid-tier UFA's. 

And it's not just fans upset. I'm listening to Sportsnet 650 now and there aren't people from there that "get the deal" 

Players want security. Pearson is obviously a well liked person within the organization. You don't treat your players like $&!# if you want a good reputation around the league. Benning didn't overspend for Pearson and he is very serviceable. Problem is that he's streaky/inconsistent.

Keep in mind, Sportsnet 650 may have a reason for crapping on this deal, but will gleefully praise any signing/move that Toronto makes.  The bias of sports media has become more and more apparent  than ever before.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

The only thing I can think is that he is trying to pressure the Petterson and Hughes camp by having less money available to sign them by the time they negotiate.

That is a terrible plan.

Otherwise we had better hear about $10 million magically coming off the cap that we don’t know about.  Nothing has shown that sort of thing is going to happen.  Alfives spent two years justifying moves because they only made sense if Eriksson was planning on retiring and there “must be a gentlemen’s agreement in place”.

not sure your math adds up - we're at 17.4 in cap space, pre-expansion loss and buyouts. We should be just fine filling out the rest of the roster, this deal in and of itself doesn't kill that.

• Hydration 1
Just now, EmilyM said:

Then I think we let a division rival eat the contract instead of us and let it be their problem/gamble. He could be another Toffoli (good), Tanev (okay), or Marky (so far not great) and Id rather have another team gamble.

We don’t have the luxury of cap space to hope Pearson returns to form. Pearson isn’t going to be the difference between us taking a step forward next season or not. I can’t imagine Pearson is going to be such an upgrade over a $2-2.5m player. Or a prospect in the system.

Sure we need experience to go with our talent, but what if Podz rolls in next year and kills it? We have another bad contract in Pearson in our bottom 6?

Every dollar is going to count in the off-season every year from here on out. I can’t agree that Pearson is more valuable than $3.25m in free cap space.

And what happens if Podkolzin needs more time, do we just rush him in the lineup? Pearson is also well-liked by Horvat. Re-signing him is a no-brainer. 3.25 is really not that bad. If they need to move salary, they have a number of ways to do it - and players like Sutter are coming off the books possibly.

• Upvote 1

On a side note I like the salary cap and how it's evened out the playing field. I do miss is the old days where players just signed and as a fan I couldn't care less what they made. For the most part, I had no idea, and just enjoyed  following players for their play, not what they made.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

Maybe JB already has a deal in place with Seattle for them to pick LE at a cost of a 2nd.

And therefore JB is comfortable with offering TP that contract. 

:)

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure your math adds up - we're at 17.4 in cap space, pre-expansion loss and buyouts. We should be just fine filling out the rest of the roster, this deal in and of itself doesn't kill that.

We also have some easy buyout candidates if need be in LE and Roussel. 

• Hydration 1
Just now, Dazzle said:

Players want security. Pearson is obviously a well liked person within the organization. You don't treat your players like $&!# if you want a good reputation around the league. Benning didn't overspend for Pearson and he is very serviceable. Problem is that he's streaky/inconsistent.

It's not treating your players terribly this is no different from the LA Kings holding out on Drew Doughty when he resigned in 2011. Or even when Gillis resigned The Sedins. 

It's just now contract negotiations work 

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

And what happens if Podkolzin needs more time, do we just rush him in the lineup? Pearson is also well-liked by Horvat. Re-signing him is a no-brainer. 3.25 is really not that bad. If they need to move salary, they have a number of ways to do it - and players like Sutter are coming off the books possibly.

#1. I will be shocked if Podkolzin needs more time, he's playing well and being effective in the 2nd best league in the world as an 18 and 19 year old, he'll be fine

#2. IF he did need more time, that's what we have Utica for, and his contract wouldn't count against our cap until he's on the team.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Maybe JB already has a deal in place with Seattle for them to pick LE at a cost of a 2nd.

And therefore JB is comfortable with offering TP that contract. 

:)

Don’t do this to me. Quit giving me LE trade hope Lol

Seriously though I’ll keep the second and LE can suit up for Utica next year :) 

You might say LE is my worst enemy ahah

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am not sure what the pushed ELC bonuses will come to.... but those come off that $17 million.

Plus that is only with 12 players signed!!

Assume an average of $1 million each average for 8 players (including replacing a top 4D in Edler)... that leaves about $8 million left for both Petterson and Hughes combined to just make up a 22 man roster.

Ferland hasn’t retired, Seattle isn’t likely going to do us a favour by taking big money off of us, and the Beagle being on LTIR all of next year is an entirely unsubstantiated rumour. 

Edited by Provost