The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Unloading LE's contract for a 2nd or 3rd round pick this summer is somewhat reasonable. There are a number of teams that are being stretched financially and would like to stay closer to the floor of the cap in the coming season (speculation, but with logic behind it). If we were to offer to someone like Ottawa or Detroit, or Florida, LE, plus a 3rd round pick, to take him on for one season, they might look at it as he's only owed another 4 million, and its only 3 million if we agree to pickup the 1 million bonus.

I think its much more likely that we just buy him out this summer as it would lower our cap hit next season to 4 million and would only cost us 1 million cap hit the following while saving the team about 1 million in actual money.

I don't see the Sens having any interest.  Their owner is like the twin of Bill Wirtz.

55 minutes ago, rekker said:

Flat cap, flat salaries. 2.98 stays the norm then. 

You’re not getting it. 

The average was established with contracts dished out before. Why is that so hard for you to get? 

9/10 GMs would laugh if an agent wanted this much for a similar player in TODAY’s environment. 

Let’s just face it, JB is terrible at signing contracts. 

This was also an irresponsible contract to hand out before Petey and Quinn. It’s like when you make a purchase on the furniture before the house, a house that you are not sure what the end cost would be. So dumb. 

• Hydration 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That's Holtby's actual cash salary next year.  LE *after* his bonus this upcoming offseason would be easier to move imho (to a team not looking to spend actual money)

Ok, fair catch.

It would make him less likely to be selected. I imagine we would still not mind it if they selected Holtby?  But may have helped sell him on being here. I suppose we disagree. You don't like the signing?  I prefer him to Anders Nilsson. By memory he was still $2 mill.  

In spite of cost. Its actually pretty hard to find a bargain signing. Then have them perform? They do happen. Look at Chicago's goalie. But its just not that easy. 

Just read an article saying Pearson and the club have both agreed that he will be protected in the upcoming expansion draft so that takes away the possibility of him being pryed away from us by Seattle. He is solid middle 6 winger who can get on the scoresheet and at times streaky as well

1 minute ago, Beary Sweet said:

Just read an article saying Pearson and the club have both agreed that he will be protected in the upcoming expansion draft so that takes away the possibility of him being pryed away from us by Seattle. He is solid middle 6 winger who can get on the scoresheet and at times streaky as well

Uhh this is just getting worse. Why not just give him a nmc then.

:picard:

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ok, fair catch.

It would make him less likely to be selected. I imagine we would still not mind it if they selected Holtby?  But may have helped sell him on being here. I suppose we disagree. You don't like the signing?  I prefer him to Anders Nilsson. By memory he was still $2 mill.  

In spite of cost. Its actually pretty hard to find a bargain signing. Then have them perform? They do happen. Look at Chicago's goalie. But its just not that easy. 

Well I hope I am proven wrong and Clark is able to work on Holtby's game (I would guess that wasn't much of an option in this oddball season - ie., limited practice time, etc.,) to elevate his game to a point where Seattle does select him.  

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Jake has a cap hit of 2.66 combined cap it for them is 5.91 lol, Vesey and Boyd are combined 1.7 million

Vessey and Boyd are plugs.    But not defending this deal either.    It could end up poorly, not that he wouldn't get a similar deal somewhere else. 

• Hydration 1

Just for the record, here's my Protect / expose list for the expansion draft with comments where needed;

Protected Forwards:

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Pearson

Motte

Pettersson

Lind

Exposed Forwards:

Eriksson - PLEASE SEATTLE TAKE HIM!!!!!!!

Ferland (no ones going to take him)

Beagle (likely out for rest of contract)

Roussel - I like him but expendable

Virtanen - I think Podkolzin and some others make him expendable

Gaudette - I think Lind has a higher top end and is 2 years younger

Jasek

Palmu

MacEwan - I like him, but he's replaceable

Gadjovich

Defense protect:

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

Exposed Defense:

Teves

Brisebois

Rafferty - he's 25, Rathbone makes him expendable

Sautner

Chatfield

I would re-sign Edler and possibly Hamonic after the expansion draft. Edler for around 3 million for 1 year, Hamonic for about 1.25 - 1.5. Hamonic has been solid since he got healthy and shook the rust off.

Goal: Protect Demko, expose Holtby

There is no one on that list, who losing, would hurt us or cause anything more than this forum being up in arms for 24 hours. Every player on that exposed list, we have replacements for on exempt list, or in the coming draft, or an off season that should once again see a surplus of budget friendly players available.

On our exposed list for Forwards, there is NO ONE there, who I would place above Pearson in terms of value to the team or in terms of effectiveness on the ice.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh this is just getting worse. Why not just give him a nmc then.

:picard:

If we played our cards right last off-season, we could’ve re-signed Toffoli and sign a cheap back up over Holtby. Then we could’ve let Pearson walked this upcoming offseason. Oh well, as what McCann said when we drafted him, “it is what it is”.

• Upvote 1

I know. 

JB is the master GM.

He's got a deal with SEA to trade Roussel to them if SEA picks LE in the expansion draft.

Lol

:P

2 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Yeah, not sure where Drance is getting his info on that but if true I'm guessing expansion list looks something like:

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Horvat

Pearson

Motte (Gaudette)

Lind

Schmidt

Juolevi

??? (Hopefully use this slot to bring in a quality piece from a team going to lose someone for nothing at a bargain price like Gaudette, Virtanen, Motte or a mid round pick á la Schmidt from Vegas)

Demko

• Hydration 1
53 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

And for a team that, according to Benning,  is 2 years away from being competitive and with the Free Agent situation being as bad as it is still. Wouldn't signing those older players in cheaper one year deals be a better option to explore this free agency? 

It's worked for Toronto and Montreal. 

There were other factors.  Toronto's guys are home town boys. Brodie, a core signing cost $5 mill.  Nobody wanted Corey Perry after some of his stunts.

If Thornton was from Burnaby, maybe he would have come home to play with Pettersson?

Its as mentioned elsewhere, just not that easy to sign bargain contracts.  

• Vintage 1
19 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Pearson won't be protected, otherwise they would have offered him an NMC in year 1 to bring down the $ (or at least that's what I would assume, not that protecting Pearson would be a good idea regardless).

Edler won't be re-signed until after the draft to save a protection slot.

Maybe this is all about Seattle and the cliff divers on the first few pages will have hit the rocks. 

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its not a ridiculous argument.  He plays in an NHL top 6.

Its not even a bad signing.

I'm a Benning supporter but it's signings like this that makes me think otherwise... 

We have Horvat, Boeser, Petey, Hogs, Miller and Pearson in top 6.

We have Podz coming in. Even if Podz doesn't immediately come and displace Pearson in the top 6, signing him to anything over 2.5 is asinine. 

To give him a 3 year contract for a future bottom 6 (only a matter of time) is insane... 

• Like 1

If you are a season ticket holder, cancel them now! 

Send a message to Aqua that we as a fan base want him fired!

If we lose the team, we can all go cheer for a non garbage organization in Seattle. 

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Beagle (likely out for rest of contract)

Is this the case?