The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Just for the record, here's my Protect / expose list for the expansion draft with comments where needed;

Protected Forwards:

Boeser

Horvat

Miller

Pearson

Motte

Pettersson

Lind

Exposed Forwards:

Eriksson - PLEASE SEATTLE TAKE HIM!!!!!!!

Ferland (no ones going to take him)

Beagle (likely out for rest of contract)

Roussel - I like him but expendable

Virtanen - I think Podkolzin and some others make him expendable

Gaudette - I think Lind has a higher top end and is 2 years younger

Jasek

Palmu

MacEwan - I like him, but he's replaceable

Gadjovich

Defense protect:

Myers

Schmidt

Juolevi

Exposed Defense:

Teves

Brisebois

Rafferty - he's 25, Rathbone makes him expendable

Sautner

Chatfield

I would re-sign Edler and possibly Hamonic after the expansion draft. Edler for around 3 million for 1 year, Hamonic for about 1.25 - 1.5. Hamonic has been solid since he got healthy and shook the rust off.

Goal: Protect Demko, expose Holtby

There is no one on that list, who losing, would hurt us or cause anything more than this forum being up in arms for 24 hours. Every player on that exposed list, we have replacements for on exempt list, or in the coming draft, or an off season that should once again see a surplus of budget friendly players available.

On our exposed list for Forwards, there is NO ONE there, who I would place above Pearson in terms of value to the team or in terms of effectiveness on the ice.

If you protect these 3 Dmen then there is currently no Dman that meets the minimum exposure requirements of the draft for VAN. We would need to resign someone like Benn, Edler, Hamonic (or trade for a player that has played enough games in last 2 seasons) and expose them, if you want to protect Myers, Juolevi, Schmidt.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

There were other factors.  Toronto's guys are home town boys. Brodie, a core signing cost $5 mill.  Nobody wanted Corey Perry after some of his stunts.

If Thornton was from Burnaby, maybe he would have come home to play with Pettersson?

Its as mentioned elsewhere, just not that easy to sign bargain contracts.  

We managed one in Hamonic.    Teams will be looking at Pearson's resurgence since coming here, not just the tire fire of a season half our players had... 3 x 3 was always a reasonable covid deal for Pearson, me at least didn't see the point given who else is coming up, JB obviously sees otherwise.   It's less then he makes now, and this is his UFA deal.   

• Like 1

This seems like such an over reaction from CDC. Pearson is fine and is over paid a little bit. He can still be exposed technically, regardless of whatever "promise" was made, if there was even one.

We've got a good team as it is, just need to change a couple of the bottom six players. Our biggest concern is coaching, that needs to be fixed asap 

• Sedinery 1
11 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If you protect these 3 Dmen then there is currently no Dman that meets the minimum exposure requirements of the draft for VAN. We would need to resign someone like Benn, Edler, Hamonic (or trade for a player that has played enough games in last 2 seasons) and expose them, if you want to protect Myers, Juolevi, Schmidt.

Except I severely doubt Edler or Hamonic sign without NMCs, just like they refused to sign without them on their current contracts. Just like neither are willing to waive for the deadline, not that we could trade either in our current situation (Get well soon boys)

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Sedinery 1
1 minute ago, -Moose said:

This seems like such an over reaction from CDC. Pearson is fine and is over paid a little bit. He can still be exposed technically, regardless of whatever "promise" was made, if there was even one.

We've got a good team as it is, just need to change a couple of the bottom six players. Our biggest concern is coaching, that needs to be fixed asap 

That is the problem, we have five or six contracts that are overpaid a little. 

Those small overpayment adds up!

Thought JB and more importantly ownership learned from the Sutters and Beagles but apparently not!

• Hydration 1
Just now, -Moose said:

We've got a good team as it is, just need to change a couple of the bottom six players.

I sorta agree.  But more so than bottom 6 forwards?  They do need to be sorted.

Our D did not gel this year. At all! Waaay to many chances against?  I supported the acquisition of Schmidt.  But I really wish we had just hung on to Tanev.

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

That is the problem, we have five or six contracts that are overpaid a little. 

Those small overpayment adds up!

Thought JB and more importantly ownership learned from the Sutters and Beagles but apparently not!

All I want is a coaching change 

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe by 2024 Benning is the GM in another team. I can see this happening

Benning isn't going anywhere. He's one of the better GM's in the league at drafting and developing young talent. Yes, he makes the occasional mistake, but so does every GM in the league. 

I would rank Bobrovsky, Yandle, Seabrook, Neal, Perry (was bought out), Skinner, Markstom (there's a lot of risk in that deal and its looking worse as the season goes on), Lucic, Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic (yes, 3 on one team), PK Subban...

All of those guys have contracts as bad or worse that Eriksson's, IMO

• Hydration 1

I can't say I'm jumping for joy - but I"m not diving off a cliff either. I'm fine with Pearson - just wish it wasn't a 3 year term.

For me it’s a little too early to judge this contract. I’ll wait and see what $3.25 mil will get you in the offseason. If teams are able to weaponize their cap space and grab far better talent for this amount then Pearson’s contract will stink. If this is just a part of a bigger plan I’ll judge it at that point.

Love or hate for JB is moot for now anyway as this was obviously approved by ownership. By the way, hating JB doesn’t make you a lousy fan just as supporting him doesn’t make you a bootlicker. It’s just your opinion.

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

I sorta agree.  But more so than bottom 6 forwards?  They do need to be sorted.

Our D did not gel this year. At all! Waaay to many chances against?  I supported the acquisition of Schmidt.  But I really wish we had just hung on to Tanev.

I want to see what a whole new coaching team can do with our team before we make drastic changes. 

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Schmidt 

OJ 

*young Dman from another club that has to trade him instead of losing him for nothing.

Expose Myers... he won't be picked with that contract

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, the Toffoli bit def stings, but Pearson also had some leverage coming off a career high 45 points. He took a pay cut, just not as large a pay cut as some would have liked. Including me. 

2M max seems completely unrealistic for a guy coming off a 45 point season imo. Anyone expecting him to take a 1.75M pay cut is dreaming. 

i don't mind what Pearson got.  horvat is probably happy about it.  some on here think the are the capologists and every player should make under a million. i would bet Pearson  has a better year next season. he is only 28 years old.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I can't think of a time as a Canucks fan that I had so little hope for the franchise. 

Benning's reign of idiocy continues. Team in cap trouble and still years away from even being a hopeful contender, let alone an actual one. 

Terrible signing after terrible signing. 

Fans not holding the Canucks leadership accountable.

Starting the think this is what those Messier years must've felt like. 

Not even close yet.   

46 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

I am 26 and the Canucks will not win the cup in my life time, I could live until 90 and they will have zero ups

Your showing your age.  

• Hydration 1
27 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Holtby and beagle have been terrible signings , and are a hamper on the cap .

Holtby was a good gamble and we needed someone who could step in and provide experience if Demko stumbled. Beagle has been a solid addition to this team. Fans get lost looking at stats, but we are a better defensive team and our penalty kill is better when he's on the ice. The fact that he also won a cup is a good experience factor to have around young players, you can't discount that. He's also one of the best guys on the team in terms of fitness, which teaches young players what it takes to win and helps build good fitness habits. 

25 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't see the Sens having any interest.  Their owner is like the twin of Bill Wirtz.

I doubt it as well. I think buyout is the most likely option this summer.

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Except I severely doubt Edler or Hamonic sign without NMCs, just like the refused to sign without them on their current contracts. Just like neither are willing to waive for the deadline, not that we could trade either in our current situation (Get well soon boys)

Yes I agree with that. Strong likelihood that Myers is exposed. I have come round to acceptance of that. If he is selected then resign Edler, Hamonic, Tryamkin

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Juolevi Tryamkin

Rathbone

• Upvote 1