The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

11 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If you protect these 3 Dmen then there is currently no Dman that meets the minimum exposure requirements of the draft for VAN. We would need to resign someone like Benn, Edler, Hamonic (or trade for a player that has played enough games in last 2 seasons) and expose them, if you want to protect Myers, Juolevi, Schmidt.

I'm sure that we could find someone to sign and expose. Maybe its something that will be addressed in trades at the deadline.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is this the case?

There is no credible information that Beagle will be out for the rest of his contract.

On 650 they mentioned “from what they are hearing” the injury is long term and could go into next season.

Folks have jumped on that to mean he is done and never plans on playing again.  Nothing like that has been suggested.  If he is just out a couple of months into next season that doesn’t help our cap at all as it doesn’t let us sign anyone.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Have to expose either Myers or Schmidt. They are the only 2 non UFA dmen that meet the games played requirements.

Trade for someone. There are teams out there who are in a position where they have extras who will need to be exposed.

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Schmidt 

OJ 

*young Dman from another club that has to trade him instead of losing him for nothing.

Expose Myers... he won't be picked with that contract

Yes I agree we will likely expose Myers.

But I disagree that there are any young D men that another club would "trade instead of losing". Everyone keeps touting that line, but there is not one concrete example that someone can give of a potential trade. Mostly because if you trade away that players you are going to lose, then you just lose a different guy to Seattle. Then your team is down two guys, not just one.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm sure that we could find someone to sign and expose. Maybe its something that will be addressed in trades at the deadline.

Yeah I suggested Matt Benning a couple months ago. NSH are done with him. $1m AAV potentially ok as 7th depth RHD and meets min exposure. However, not sure JB wants to go there... 

The thing that sucks is the rumours of teams closer to a playoff push move superior players than Pearson every year and here we are near bottom of the league and we clutch onto middle 6 players like they’re untouchable. It’s depressing year after year how long it takes to fully rebuild a contending team because the gm can’t sell high during a trade deadline when we’re out of it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Carl Soederberg is getting 1 million, Toffoli got 1 million more and scores a lot more than Pearson. 

This is a huge overpayment. With the money free agents were signing recently Pearson was worth 2 million max 

This is a little much.   Name one 29ish UFA player, who's scored around the same as Pearson the last two seasons, who signed for 2 million?    Name some guys that were too just so i can educate myself (i'm not talking about old guys who've already made their money and are off to TO for their swan song). 

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Trade for someone. There are teams out there who are in a position where they have extras who will need to be exposed.

Yeah I'm really hoping the team manages to weaponize the fact that we only really have 2 dmen worth/able to/required to protect. Go hard after a team like TB for one of their RHD like Cernak or Foote for a bargain price

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Yikes

2 hours ago, b3. said:

I need to find a new team.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's not awful... But it's not good either.

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Ok, I am on the Fire JB train now!

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Join me in cheering for Seattle next year!

For all you that feel like this you have to look at what is out there and what Pearson is, Is this great no is it good yes and for this year UFA class it might be one of the best and that is saying a lot about this UFA class. There may not be a great UFA signing this offseason.

What's out there,  for this UFA class it isn't that good or just to expensive this is not the year to be giving out 4, 5 or 6 year deals. And a lot of the UFA this year is old like 33 to 35 class is highly represented. Just check out capfriendly, players, free agents.

Second what is Pearson, to the Canucks a bottom top 6 easily. 

Pearson on a good team is what Chris Higgens was a good number 7 forward. A player who can play in your top 6 when injuries occur or some one that will produce on the third line. I just wish he could kill penalties better or at least give him the opportunity to PK more.

Down the road maybe in the 2nd or the 3rd year of this contract he will be playing where he should and that is on the 3rd line. This is possible with the emergence of Hoglander and hopefully Podkolzin.

If he can get 15 to 20 goals and 40-45 pts he will be worth this money and term. I would say that the term and money is comparable to other players like him. He will be 29 at the start of next season. Which means when this contract ends he will still be 31 going on 32. Most would agree that 29,30 and 31 is still prime years for players. 

Keep in mind as well last season in 69 games he had 21 goals 24 assists for 45 points. Even in his final year of this deal if he dips to about 35 points 3.25m cap hit will not look bad.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

For all you that feel like this you have to look at what is out there and what Pearson is, Is this great no is it good yes and for this year UFA class it might be one of the best and that is saying a lot about this UFA class. There may not be a great UFA signing this offseason.

What's out there,  for this UFA class it isn't that good or just to expensive this is not the year to be giving out 4, 5 or 6 year deals. And a lot of the UFA this year is old like 33 to 35 class is highly represented. Just check out capfriendly, players, free agents.

Second what is Pearson, to the Canucks a bottom top 6 easily. 

Pearson on a good team is what Chris Higgens was a good number 7 forward. A player who can play in your top 6 when injuries occur or some one that will produce on the third line. I just wish he could kill penalties better or at least give him the opportunity to PK more.

Down the road maybe in the 2nd or the 3rd year of this contract he will be playing where he should and that is on the 3rd line. This is possible with the emergence of Hoglander and hopefully Podkolzin.

If he can get 15 to 20 goals and 40-45 pts he will be worth this money and term. I would say that the term and money is comparable to other players like him. He will be 29 at the start of next season. Which means when this contract ends he will still be 31 going on 32. Most would agree that 29,30 and 31 is still prime years for players. 

Keep in mind as well last season in 69 games he had 21 goals 24 assists for 45 points. Even in his final year of this deal if he dips to about 35 points 3.25m cap hit will not look bad.

2nd, What is pea

Yeah but we didn't need to sign any more UFA forwards!

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah I'm really hoping the team manages to weaponize the fact that we only really have 2 dmen worth/able to/required to protect. Go hard after a team like TB for one of their RHD like Cernak or Foote for a bargain price

You're dreaming. Cernak and Foote will be protected, along with Hedman and Sergachev.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah but we didn't need to sign any more UFA forwards!

I think they would have had to fill this spot 

No body on the team fills this role next season and the Canucks will have some turn over because of those becoming UFA

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Lol! You people / the media praise them for trending upward and what they accomplished in the bubble last year.....but, now ya'll don't like a signing, so now they haven't produced anything and most players should be shipped off! Get the f outta here!!  

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pop in another 3.8 if Holtby is bought out. I don't think we will see Edler back, unless he really wants to come cheap. 

Jim will have to ensure Seattle takes some salary, it might cost us a pick to do it. 

We were in this problem if this deal was 2.5 or 3.5. It the year 3 that cheeses me off. 

only 1.9 million available after buyout, would you buy out holtby to replace him with rittich,rinne,smith? hard to say what forsbergs value is maybe he is worth a shot?