The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Jim needs to go 

simply can’t handle negotiations and basic math 

clean house aqua

franchise has become the joke of the league 

Aqua needs to answer too. He is a part of the problem . Man I’m physically ill . 

25 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

once again, i will try to explain to everyone that seems to be missing the point of how real analysts decide what the value of a player is.

Body of work, generally you take the last 3 years of a players performance than you analyze trends and predict where his performance will go from there.

the most important factor is the body of work, i don't know exactly what that value is but is probably somewhere around 50%

than you analyze trends and predict whether his performance will increase or decrease.

so taking that info pearsons last 3 seasons

pearson played 121 gp scored 68 points 36G 32A playing 16:30

lets say so a forward that scores 0.5ppg playing 16:30 against top competition is worth 4. 5 million a year (a realistic estimate)

now we have to analyze his trends, offensivley i would grade his value dropped by about 2 million and defensively it stayed about the same. lets value offence at 60% of the total value to a contract. so 2million *0.6=1.2 million

tanner pearsons value = body of work - trend

tanner pearsons value = 4.5 million - 1.2million

tanner pearsons value = 3.3 million. roughly( but only for the very next season, to calculate any years beyond you must add  a prediction of where the player will be)

the capologists in the nhl use this method,(although the calculation's would probably have modifiers for every random stat )

Pretty much agree fully.  I also people are undervaluing his office impact as well.

Successful teams aren't built around young guys.  They are built over time and have a variety of player types at various she groups.  It also takes time for them to gel and get to know how to play with each other.......every vet they jettison now and every new player they bring in sets that process back a bit.  When you have a player who has chemistry with other players you don't dismiss that, you value that building block.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i'm just going to say the contrat predictor had pearson sign for 3.9m x 3 years i use.

the same predictor that predicted pietrangelos contract within 200K

What about Martin Rucinsky?  How much should we have gotten?

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

KHL is a higher level of competition then the AHL.

debatable,

Two different style of play. And to make it in the NHL you got to play the NHL game not the KHL one. and this is exactly why I said we have no idea where Podz ceiling is. He might not even crack the line up or he could be the best player on the team.

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

As much as I don't like this signing, I would prefer to keep Benning and am working under the impression he knows something we don't.  For all we know, LE could have decided to retire at the end of the year.

I think Beagle might be done as well

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Buddies texting me from all over the country rubbing in how insane JB is 

can’t sugar coat it 

ridiculous contract 

Yeah, JB handing out terms again and hopefully, Pearson will still be motivated to live up to the contract after signing his retirement papers; too expensive for a soon to be mid/bottom 6 winger.   

I hope hindsight will be kinder to this contract - smh, at this point ?

19 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

He is playing in the second best league in the world and doing well .. ten points in 14 playoff games in limited minutes..

Debatable if the KHL is the second best league.

What isn't is they are different 

Podz could crap the bed in the NHL or be the Canucks best player 

we have no idea.

I wouldn't put money on either side

The spins have lived up to the hype.

Lots of "trust the PRocess" and "my totally realistic contract simulator called it" going on.

Add another dead contract to that long list of dead cap names we have.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It's not treating your players terribly this is no different from the LA Kings holding out on Drew Doughty when he resigned in 2011. Or even when Gillis resigned The Sedins. 

It's just now contract negotiations work 

Looking at the contract of 2011, Doughty was an RFA. So was Nylander, thus "holding out" only works for these types of players, not UFAs. Pearson could've just walked, leaving a bad taste in his mouth.

And where is Gillis now? He hasn't been favourably received for a while. I'm sure he's a good guy, but his style of management hasn't been great. Recently, he tried to apply for the Pittsburgh GM job apparently. He had a package leaked out and it was distributed openly on the internet. News sources didn't even mention Pittsburgh considering Gillis.

I just think it's hypocritical for the fanbase to call for a long term signing of Toffoli (who already IS 30+), while complaining about the Sutter signing too long (he was 26 if I recall at the time) and saying that Pearson's contract puts him over 30+.

Is it age discrimination or is the fanbase just picking and choosing which players to sign long term? Because there isn't any consistency to the arguments.

Edited by Dazzle