The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Nothing wrong with this contract, I'm just glad JB is running this team and not all the people on here, or the media who couldn't get jobs with actual teams above the title of janitor.

Ok, John Weisbrod.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol ok bud. 17 mil next season to sign Petterssen, Hughes, and a bunch of other roster spots. And Bennings priority is Pearson at too much money for 3 years. If EP and QH agents play hardball on their contracts, which one will you be ok trading for next to nothing or futures so we can have Pearson? Since Benning has shown he cant trade anyone with a bad contract (maybe because other GM's understand the effect of a flat cap)

Flat cap absolutely matters. Benning should be fired for not learning that.

do you have any data that suggests flat cap matters? or are you basing things  off of 1 year deals signed last year? did you look into multi year deals at all? Krieder, pietrangelo,Pageau,fast,smith,dadonov,namestnikov,grant. toffoli took a discount for sure but the others? not so much

besides the point the cap has a very good chance of going up next season, so stop worrying, this isnt even close to a bad signing

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just when Jim was doing so well with goalies. 

Its not cliff diving time, but its a head shaker. I don't see why 3 years was necessary in the least. 

TBH I'm tired of Benning doing this and I've been a supporter of his. These unnecessary extra years stink. Agents must love seeing Jims number come up. 

Yeah, this is the frustrating part about JB.

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

Would have rather Toffoli at the higher cap hit for the term, because he was always the better offensive player and has shown he can kill penalties really well.  I guess this is more a signal to Bo perhaps, that he wont have a revolving door of linemates?  

I'd bet Pearson is much better in the dressing room and you can discount the value in that.  They'll likely lose Beagle and Sutter.......if you lose Pearson too the team is going to take a step back after losing Marky and Tanev.

16 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Even if TB loses Palat and buys out Killorn and Ruuta, that only frees up enough space for Kucherov to come off LTIR. It doesn't allow for Foote to be resigned or adding any additional contracts plus they still lose Coleman and Goodrow as UFAs

Actually they probably buy out Johnson, as the saving is better and Killorn is a better fit to keep on LW. If they do that and Palat is selected by Seattle (with sweetener), once Kuch returns from LTIR TBL will have $6.86m in cap space. They could resign Foote for $1.25m, then have $5.6m available to sign another 7 players to league minimum deals "to be part of a contender". I could see Goodrow re-upping in the current environment for league minimum. He won't earn much more elsewhere, so why not stick with a winning team. I could see E Staal taking a league minimum contract too. L Schenn, Jordie Benn etc there are a bunch of guys that TBL could target as well as their own prospect pool to fill the depth positions at low cost.

It really doesn't help them to trade away their top 4 Dmen like Cernak who are on VERY team friendly contracts. The only way I can see TBL doing that would be if VAN agree to take on some of their big contracts, which we don't have the space for...so won't be happening.

11 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Debatable if the KHL is the second best league.

What isn't is they are different 

Podz could crap the bed in the NHL or be the Canucks best player 

we have no idea.

I wouldn't put money on either side

What league is debatable as second best with the khl?

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

debatable,

Two different style of play. And to make it in the NHL you got to play the NHL game not the KHL one. and this is exactly why I said we have no idea where Podz ceiling is. He might not even crack the line up or he could be the best player on the team.

Podz plays an NHL style of game though.

29 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Jim needs to go 

simply can’t handle negotiations and basic math 

clean house aqua

franchise has become the joke of the league 

if you feel that strongly go find another team to cheer for instead of trolling ours!!!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

This is going to be a very interesting thread to revisit next season. Also, to anyone that really hates the deal, can you throw out some names of some other guys you would have liked to have seen them go after? Just curious who these UFA bargains are going to be this off-season. Maybe throw some term and $$$ possibilities out there too. I just want to hear from the experts.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This thread has the potential to out perform the Shinkaruk - Granlund thread from 2016.

It ... could ... go ... all the ... way ... 

crickets now whenever you bring up Shinkaruk to the whiners in that thread too. Or well Granlund wasn’t great either... Ok but Shinkaruk? ... more crickets. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Meme time

image.jpeg.a9edb25161df70cb1e362a218435de6c.jpegimage.jpeg.75a36f5c9395414d954ef7632f58b6e7.jpeg

It's possible to sign good, young players to cheap contracts if you draft them because of how much leverage teams have over RFAs.

It's much easier to sign good RFA contracts than UFA contracts, even casual fans know this.

So why this management team has run at a draft pick deficit and seems to love to blow their load on UFAs... I'll never understand.

These memes are quite apt as with Benning, it always seems to be 1 step forward but then 1 or 2 back.

52 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Your level of certainty is confusing since they didn’t actually play the whole season. Is this some kind of new analytics that I’m not aware of?

only made it due to points percentage, had they lost there last game against the Islander they would have missed

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd bet Pearson is much better in the dressing room and you can discount the value in that.  They'll likely lose Beagle and Sutter.......if you lose Pearson too the team is going to take a step back after losing Marky and Tanev.

Lmao !!

4 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Middle tier player gets middle tier money. 3.25 is not huge money.

That i big money for bottom 6 forward and we don't have extra money?

We have 24 million cap ..

Demko - 5 million X 5 yrs  -- signed

Petey -- 7.5 million  --  3 yrs ?? Not signed

Hughes - 7 million  X 3 yrs - Not Signed

Podkolzin - 950,000  X 3 yrs - entry level

Gaudette - Least 950,000  - 1 yr -- Not signed

Juolevi - Leaat 850,000  --- Not signed

Vesey - 850,000   -- Not signed

Haamonic -- 2 million X 2 years -- Not signed -------  Top pairing D mana ---    More important then Pearson ---

Pearson -- 3.2 million X 3 -- Just crazy to sign him so early?  

We will now don't have enough money to sign other players more important then bottom 6 forward like Pearson...

Crazy 29 next season....