The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

I won’t pass my final judgment on this until the end of the summer as I want to see how things play out cap wise first.   My guess is that.....

1) Beagle will be LTIR next year

2) The Canucks have a plan in place for Eriksson.

3) Tryamkin will replace Edler

4) Boyd and Gaudette will be our 3rd and 4th line C’s (not necessarily in that order)

5) Benning expects someone to get claimed in the ED

6) Petey and Hughes will sign bridged Covid contracts (translation - for less money than we had originally expected).

As far as Pearson goes, the presence of Pearson or Podkolzin on the 3rd line should give us an opportunity to roll out three decent scoring lines, and one of Podz Or Pearson should be able to step into the top 6 in case of injuries.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Silky mitts said:

What league is debatable as second best with the khl?

AHL 

AHL play the same style play as NHL as KHL plays a different style 

as a league base  KHL is better for entertainment

AHL is better for development to the NHL.  

What is the goal depends on who you ask the NHL owner the AHL owner and KHL owners will give you different responses

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

CDC has really gone downhill too. People used to be critical on here , informed takes . Now it’s benning slurping and rampant homerism . 

But it’s always good for some great laughs provided by some of the takes.

16 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Sorry Tram, our moron GM just broke the bank on a marginal nhler with his best seasons well past him 

Because stuff like this is smart and informed. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, wildcam said:

That is big money for bottom 6 forward and we don't have extra money?

We have 24 million cap ..

Demko - 5 million X 5 yrs  -- signed

Petey -- 7.5 million  --  3 yrs ?? Not signed

Hughes - 7 million  X 3 yrs - Not Signed

Podkolzin - 950,000  X 3 yrs - entry level

Gaudette - Least 950,000  - 1 yr -- Not signed

Juolevi - Leaat 850,000  --- Not signed

Vesey - 850,000   -- Not signed

Haamonic -- 2 million X 2 years -- Not signed -------  Top pairing D mana ---    More important then Pearson ---

Pearson -- 3.2 million X 3 -- Just crazy to sign him so early?  

We will now don't have enough money to sign other players more important then bottom 6 forward like Pearson...

Crazy 29 next season....

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

AHL 

AHL play the same style play as NHL as KHL plays a different style 

as a league base  KHL is better for entertainment

AHL is better for development to the NHL.  

What is the goal depends on who you ask the NHL owner the AHL owner and KHL owners will give you different responses

KHL>AHL. It’s not debatable. 

• Cheers 1

I like this signing. Time will tell us how it ages and in 3 years from now, we will look back as a collective Canuck nation and be satisfied. He plays well with Bo and we need a stable winger for Bo, who for years has had a revolving door of wingers. I also think Pearson's game would compliment Petey's if they were ever put together.

If you're freaking out about this signing, try the following:

-get some fresh air

-get lucky

-order a blizzard (cookie dough is da bomb)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

First problem you have here is we don't know what Podz is yet. WE DON'T KNOW IF HE CAN PLAY IN THE NHL. NEVER MIND A TOP 6 ROLE.

second I get just over 20m according to capfriendly and that is with Pearson signed Podz at .925m rookie contract. 11F, 2D and 2G

Which tells us one thing right away EP and QH isn't getting 10 mill plus deals maybe 3 years at 7 mill each. (so 20-14= 6 mill) 

So 6 mill to fill out a 13 forward .700m-.800m

And 4 dmen. after the 13 forward about 5.2m for 4 dmen.

That is if Holby or Myers doesn't get claimed in the expansion draft

So we are signing 4 Dmen for $1.3m each? Oh no we ARE stuffed!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why was Pearson given protection from the expansion draft? He's a middling, streaky player at best. What a poorly thought out signing. 

jb rushed a signing he jumped on the first offer that TP wanted so JB JUMPED ON IT! 

• Haha 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

Ok, I have to defend Benning on this end, STOP BRINGING UP TOFFOLI!

We didn't have cap space for both Tofu and Pearson this year. It is not an equitable comparison.

Why let facts ruin a good story though. 

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I just was pondering on the other page, I won't repost, but I feel like no one will even read my take on this. Maybe you or someone else can let me know.

As per the NHLPA, a contracted player cannot sign for a "bargain" price while they are under contract, as it would be "unfair" to all others that are trying to earn contracts that are comparable to Tanner Pearson, it's protection the NHLPA put in years ago I believe and remember somewhere reading about it. But I can't find anything to confirm...

If Tanner was to go the UFA route next year than any team could give him any kind of offer. But while he is under contract currently those rules do no apply?

Does any of this make sense?

Thx

I just feel like we are crapping on Benning and Co for everything and this doesn't strike me as something to complain about if it's out of Bennings hands and more due to the fact there is protection coming from the NHLPA side of things

Never heard of that rule and doubt it exists.  Feels like it would have been brought up for other signings across the league.

• Thanks 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I have a nasty suspicion you're right and he'll need to be bought out, but I'm hoping Benning knows otherwise.

His contract is pretty much buyout proof. We save more cap space to bury him than we do buy him out.