The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

Just now, King Heffy said:

I have a nasty suspicion you're right and he'll need to be bought out, but I'm hoping Benning knows otherwise.

How often do overpaid players retire early and leave that much money on the table? Not very often. No chance he retires imo. And honestly I dont blame him.

Benning will probably buy him out or just keep him.

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Ok, I have to defend Benning on this end, STOP BRINGING UP TOFFOLI!

We didn't have cap space for both Tofu and Pearson this year. It is not an equitable comparison.

Well yea, that's what happens when you sign Pearson like contracts. Point is, Benning doesn't learn. We have no idea the extent of what the Canucks have missed out on by being in perpetual cap trouble. One thing we know is that we missed out on Toffoli because of it. Instead of thinking ahead, dumbo signs another Beagle, Rousell, etc contract in Pearson.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This.

Pods was supposed to be in the top 6 and assist with the salary mess that JB has created. I guess he missed the common sense memo on that. 

gar is a junk metric made up by people that dont understand that you cant base metric from a average of stats based on ten years of data. 10 years ago we were playing left side lock. It is flawed.

that being said this combination of stats is even more useless when they dont consider defensive stats.

RAPM on the other hand doesn't use algorithms to calculate a players performance and is a very useful tool. pearson plays against elite players and does a pretty good job.

rapm pearson.JPG

Edited by Petey_BOI

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Benning won’t get fired since I doubt anyone else wants to work for the meddling terrible owner we have .

We are &^@#ed .

its the reason by Lombardi declined when he reached out to him. He is currently is not working or is senior advisor to the flyers but wither way not making the money he would make has gm or POHO. I mean there 32 GM jobs and won't you want another shot?

3 minutes ago, Randy Johnson said:

He’s not worth more than 1.75 in this day and age. Benning should be demoted to assistant to the travelling janitor 

Welcome to the board feel free to ask other posters on how hockey works!

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

a 7 and 6 dman does not need to make 1.3 it isn't that simple 5.2/4 is not how it works

Yes I am aware $1.3m is the average cost. But we only have 3 signed, so we need a #4, #5, #6, #7 Dman right?

#7 could be Rathbone = $0.925m

#6 could be Juolevi = $1.25m

Leaves $3m to sign a #4 and #5 Dman. So that will be $1.5m each (on average). Not great.

JB will be keeping his fingers crossed that Myers is selected. And he will have to buy out Holtby. And likely buy out Loui + Roussel too I expect.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How often do overpaid players retire early and leave that much money on the table? Not very often. No chance he retires imo. And honestly I dont blame him.

“Only” 3mill base salary after his final 1mill bonus is paid in July iirc

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

That i big money for bottom 6 forward and we don't have extra money?

We have 24 million cap ..

Demko - 5 million X 5 yrs  -- signed

Petey -- 7.5 million  --  3 yrs ?? Not signed

Hughes - 7 million  X 3 yrs - Not Signed

Podkolzin - 950,000  X 3 yrs - entry level

Gaudette - Least 950,000  - 1 yr -- Not signed

Juolevi - Leaat 850,000  --- Not signed

Vesey - 850,000   -- Not signed

Haamonic -- 2 million X 2 years -- Not signed -------  Top pairing D mana ---    More important then Pearson ---

Pearson -- 3.2 million X 3 -- Just crazy to sign him so early?  

We will now don't have enough money to sign other players more important then bottom 6 forward like Pearson...

Crazy 29 next season....

You're making a LOT of assumptions, including that we aren't going to make trades, and that we are going to resign Vesey, and Hamonic and you're not taking into account that we will lose someone to Expansion draft.

On pretty much every team in this league, Pearson is a middle 6 guy who plays a 200 foot game.

Benning tracks everyone he has to resign and knows exactly how much space he needs to do it and assemble the whole team. NO ONE else on here, does. Not me, not you, definitely not anyone in the media!

7 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Well yea, that's what happens when you sign Pearson like contracts. Point is, Benning doesn't learn. We have no idea the extent of what the Canucks have missed out on by being in perpetual cap trouble. One thing we know is that we missed out on Toffoli because of it. Instead of thinking ahead, dumbo signs another Beagle, Rousell, etc contract in Pearson.

I'm on your side now but I am sick of people saying they would rather have Toffoli! 

That was never a choice so stop with that bs.

But yes. JB showed he never learned from his mistake and should be let go because of it. But at this point I feel this goes beyond JB and bringing in a new guy ain't gonna fix the problem. Bottomline, we need new ownership!

Edited by 24K PureCool

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Ok, I have to defend Benning on this end, STOP BRINGING UP TOFFOLI!

We didn't have cap space for both Tofu and Pearson this year. It is not an equitable comparison.

It's disingenuous to ignore the why though. 

The problem with Benning has always been his player valuations. It caught up to us this year and it will continue to bite us in the ass until we do something about it. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How often do players get told they will be spending the year in the AHL with no chance of getting into an actual game?  Benning needs to play hardball with this lazy piece of garbage and make his life miserable if he insists on continuing to attempt to disgrace the franchise with his pitiful excuse for effort.  Most guys have at least some pride.

Edited by King Heffy

H0: There is no correlation between the following variables: frequency of Pearson being in the lineup and likelihood of winning.

H1: There is a correlation between the following variables: frequency of Pearson being in the lineup and likelihood of winning.

1587962366_ScreenShot2021-04-08at9_51_21PM.png.4b171e7906b49cca324fc2efe50da4e9.png

Our p-value is below 0.05 so our model is statistically significant.  The Pearson Correlation value of 0.083 indicates there is an extremely weak correlation between the two variables.  The low correlation tells us that an increase in the frequency of Pearson being in the lineup does not increase the likelihood of winning.  We are unable to accept the alternative hypothesis.  We can conclude that there is no correlation between the following variables: frequency of Pearson being in the lineup and likelihood of winning.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

It's disingenuous to ignore the why though. 

The problem with Benning has always been his player valuations. It caught up to us this year and it will continue to bite us in the ass until we do something about it. 

See post above yours.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, wildcam said:

That i big money for bottom 6 forward and we don't have extra money?

We have 24 million cap ..

Demko - 5 million X 5 yrs  -- signed

Petey -- 7.5 million  --  3 yrs ?? Not signed

Hughes - 7 million  X 3 yrs - Not Signed

Podkolzin - 950,000  X 3 yrs - entry level

Gaudette - Least 950,000  - 1 yr -- Not signed

Juolevi - Leaat 850,000  --- Not signed

Vesey - 850,000   -- Not signed

Haamonic -- 2 million X 2 years -- Not signed -------  Top pairing D mana ---    More important then Pearson ---

Pearson -- 3.2 million X 3 -- Just crazy to sign him so early?  

We will now don't have enough money to sign other players more important then bottom 6 forward like Pearson...

Crazy 29 next season....

after this year, I'd bet Petey and Hughes get 5ish each.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

How often do players get told they will be spending the year in the AHL with no chance of getting into an actual game?  Benning needs to play hardball with this lazy piece of garbage and make his life miserable if he insists on continuing to attempt to disgrace the franchise with his pitiful excuse for effort.  Most guys have at least some pride.

Effort isn’t Eriksson's issue, age and declining talent is though. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Effort isn’t Eriksson's issue, age and declining talent is though. 

I would agree with that if he actually performed to his contract in the first 3 years.

Falling off a cliff the moment the ink was dry screams nonchalant attitude. 

NHL need a performance based contract termination of some sort. Never gonna happen but that would help stop players from just cashing in and do nothing.

Edited by 24K PureCool