#6 47 points Brad Marchand 32

#10 44 Points Sidney Crosby 33

15  40 points Backstrom, 33

#17, 40 points Kopitar 33

#21, 38 points David Perron, 32

#24 37 Points Victor Hedman, 30

#27 35 points, Ovechkin, 35

#29, 35 points, Joe Pavelski 36

Thats almost 1/3 of the top 30 scorers this year in the NHL. 

I'm not saying you want a team of age 30+ players, but not everyone is over the hill at 30 or like Loui Eriksson. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow this is a god awful contract.  Thomas Drance said it best - it's a buyers market and teams are paying a premium to move older tweener players with term right now (see Florida and Connolly).  Lots of great deals this offseason for legitimate 2nd line wingers and we pay Pearson, a guy who has scored at a 0.33 ppg clip and is clearly on the decline, to this abomination of a contract? It's as though the team looked at the Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson contracts and was like "oh yeah, we need more bloated contacts with NTC's as they've been so crucial to the teams success!".  WTF.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

If you go out to a restaurant for dinner, do you think about how much money the cook makes and how much money the server makes?

This is a terrible analogy lol.

If I had an ownership stake in the restaurant or some other sort of investment that made me care about the performance of the restaurant, of course I would care about what the staff is paid.

Everyone here has a strong emotional investment in the team and most have made a financial investment of some sort

I'm sure the management, coaches and players don't love the criticism but I imagine they love the 6-8 figure salaries that comes with it all.

14 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Love your team. Love your players. Stop crying. 

If you don’t love the team and the players, go cheer for a different team. 

First of all, everyone loves a gatekeeper. 

And one could make an argument that I love the team more than you considering I want to see it improved whereas your post just off as simply apathy.

So I don't blame you for being a casual fan but you don't have to tell hardcore fans to be apathetic with you.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Top 30 players in the NHL, who happen to be 30+

#3,  51 points, Patrick Kane, 32

#6 47 points Brad Marchand 32

#10 44 Points Sidney Crosby 33

15  40 points Backstrom, 33

#17, 40 points Kopitar 33

#21, 38 points David Perron, 32

#24 37 Points Victor Hedman, 30

#27 35 points, Ovechkin, 35

#29, 35 points, Joe Pavelski 36

Thats almost 1/3 of the top 30 scorers this year in the NHL. 

I'm not saying you want a team of age 30+ players, but not everyone is over the hill at 30.

Right on, let’s just splice Tanner Pearson right into that list. Great research. 

• Haha 1

He probably would have gotten 1x1.75 in free agency.  I would have been OK at 2x2. He got too much money and too much term, like many of Benning’s signings. 

Look at last years signings that were cheaper contracts - Hoffman 1 year x 4 million 21 points 

Jesper Fast - 3 years 2 mil per 17 points 

Granlund - 1 year 3.75 per 17 points 

Ryan - 1 year 1 million 14 points

Soderberg - 1 year 1 million 14 points

Maroon - 2 years 1.8 per 18 points 

Haula - 1 year 1.75 million 13 points 

Brassard - 1 year 1 million 16 points 

Sheary - 1 year 875k 14 points 

Namestikov - 2 years 2 million per 13 points

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Gaud with Hog and Podz will be sheltered, but I also think they'll contribute.  People just need to erase this year from their minds instead of using it as the standard.

Can’t imagine Green going with an all rookie line.  

The bottom-6 doesn’t produce much because they don’t generate much.  That was already an issue the season before despite better counting stats but there was the risk of regression.  Counting stats alone are not necessarily a reliable way to assess performance or sustainability. 

Gaudette was shooting at 16% last season while getting caved in facing some of the softest competition.  Nothing much different this season other than his shooting percentage dropped.

Edited by mll

Again, it's MILDLY disappointing we didn't get a few hundred k less and/or a year shorter of home town/early re-sign discount, but it's hardly 'OMGDZZZZ! :frantic:'

All the righteous indignation is pretty hilarious for a pretty 'meh' deal.

People should save their pantie twisting for something actually bad... Like re-signing Eriksson :ph34r:

:bigblush:

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was really hoping we'd take a run at Lowry. I'd much rather have him at 4.5 than Pearson at 3.25. 

I guess we'll see. I'm not hair on fire over it, just think its 500k too much and a year too long, and takes away other UFA options. 

if jim does something which he doesn't do often, which is sign 1 year rental for a center, we could be ok.

53 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’ve said this several times before. Everyone is all pumped about this new found cap space we are going to have in 2 years. Haha, it’s going to get used up before we even get there. We will never have cap space. As long as Jim Benning is the GM of the Canucks we will always be in cap trouble. This is right on par with all his other horrific contracts. So bitterly disappointing. 

Spot on.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, it's MILDLY disappointing we didn't get a few hundred k less and/or a year shorter of home town/early re-sign discount, but it's hardly 'OMGDZZZZ! :frantic:'

All the righteous indignation is pretty hilarious for a pretty 'meh' deal.

People should save their pantie twisting for something actually bad... Like re-signing Eriksson :ph34r:

:bigblush:

Offseason hasn't begun yet, are you going to be pumped when we re-sign Sutter?

It would be a meh deal if it was about a million less and one year less...in a vacuum.  Unfortunately when we look at in context, and given the fact that we already have a ton of overpaid vets on our team, then it's perfectly understandable why posters are indignant.  We already lost Tanev and Toffoli due to overpaid bottom 6 junk, when we lose more players we shouldn't be concerned? We should just be happy while the team wallows in mediocrity forever? I wish I could approach the Canucks with your Big Lebowski-esque whatever dude approach, but when you invest in a team emotionally and financially it's frustrating to see them making the exact same unforced errors again and again and again.

• Vintage 1

One thing I actually admire about JB is that he’s never wavered from his overall strategy.  

He clearly believes in responsible, high character vets and locker room stability.  He hasn’t gotten gunshy despite getting burned (IMO largely because of injury.) 

If he’s allowed to make these deals it appears  he’s got one more kick at the can next season.  Hope the team recovers their health (first and foremost) but also their game 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

jb rushed a signing he jumped on the first offer that TP wanted so JB JUMPED ON IT! 

really cause, a lot of players had a covid season and not just on our team, look at Taylor Hall, how the mighty have fallen. what Pearson got was okay,  he had 45 points last season , he is not old,  Jim Benning did well!!!

• Cheers 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

One thing I actually admire about JB is that he’s never wavered from his overall strategy.  

He clearly believes in responsible, high character vets and locker room stability.  He hasn’t gotten gunshy despite getting burned (IMO largely because of injury.) 

If he’s allowed to make these deals it appears  he’s got one more kick at the can next season.  Hope the team recovers their health (first and foremost) but also their game 

Generals for the Allies in WWI kept sending troops out of the trenches to get mowed down. Consistency is good in some cases, not all. :P

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need a 3C more tho. Where does that $ come from? 

Even if you like the Pearson deal, that nixed an upgrade on a more important position, imo anyway. 

There's still an entire off season to figure it out. Worst case scenario, we go with Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Beagle as our centers. Maybe Lind gets a look at a sheltered 3C role or even Jasek. Maybe Sutter signs a cheap deal. Or add someone like Carl Soderberg on a cheap contract as a stop gap if a young player isn't ready.

Pearson is like Chris Higgins in that he can be used in all situations. At 3.25, his cap hit is fine for what he provides. It also provides Bo some stability on wing in which he hasn't had until the past couple of seasons.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Qwags said:

Tyler Myers - 6M
Loui Eriksson - 6M
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M
Michael Ferland - 3.5M
Tanner Pearson - 3.25M
Roberto Luengo 3M
Jake Virtanen 3M
Antoinne Roussel - 3M
Jay Beagle - 3M
Jordie Benn - 2M
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M'

Add it to the list. :sick:

Luongo is the best value on that list as at least he isn’t a negative in wins vs. replacement.  :D

• Haha 1