The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

I guess Pearson is in our plans as the 2nd line winger for at least next season but he's going to get bumped to our 3rd line quickly. 3+M isn't horrible considering he kills penalties and Sutter/Beagle will be gone by then but we really need to save that sort of money for a center.

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I remember the Shinkaruk-Granlund trade thread had reached 100 pages in 8 hours. That will potentially be untouched in terms of the number of replies within that time frame for a trade or signing.

And the fact that both players end up in the KHL is just the most CDC thing. A huge reaction to something that mean so little in the end.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Nah, TM had a different vernacular. I think he’s still around here under that same name but doesn’t venture into Canucks Talk, TRS, etc. 

There was a guy around here a couple years ago who popped up under a couple different names. One of his accounts had an eraser for a profile picture I think. I can’t remember the names he used at the moment but he was pretty funny. @Convincing John isn’t as sharp tongued though, IMO. 

It’s been a while, let me get warmed up

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I guess Pearson is in our plans as the 2nd line winger for at least next season but he's going to get bumped to our 3rd line quickly. 3+M isn't horrible considering he kills penalties and Sutter/Beagle will be gone by then but we really need to save that sort of money for a center.

The only way this deal is salvageable is if Sutter is no re-signed (can't trade him cause of covid) and the rumor that Beagle is essentially done are true (either ltir retired or retired retired). Beagle will be our new 3C money.

Edited by 24K PureCool

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The only way this deal is salvageable is if Sutter is no re-signed (can't trade him cause of covid) and the rumor that Beagle is essentially done are true (either ltir retired or retired retired). Beagle will be our new 3C money.

Not opposed to Sutter signing at a discount we do need reliable C depth. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hey if JB can pull a one year 1mill bunny out of the hat than sure. He did not leave himself any room for error now.

Should have held the line with Pearson 2x$2.5m.

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Hey if JB can pull a one year 1mill bunny out of the hat than sure. He did not leave himself any room for error now.

Should have held the line with Pearson 2x$2.5m.

Virtanen makes 2.55M and has a much lesser role + Pearson are UFA years.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 3

Oh well.  What's done is done.  He's a Canuck for 3 years.  The saving grace is that he gels with Bo.  

My wish is for Green to make 3 solid scoring lines + 1 checking line.  Spread the minutes.  No more of these crappy 5min games for some of the players.  Keep it more balanced to keep the legs fresh.

• Cheers 1

Ngl, I like this deal. Pearson can play up and down the lineup, is still in his 20s, and has .50 point per game upside. And at least he has proven to be solid on this team and with Horvat. Even if he drops to 3rd line before the contract ends. 3.25mil for a 3rd liner of his skill is not bad. People acting like he got 5mil for 6 years or something. Lol. It's a very solid contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Don't understand the hate for this deal. I know most of the veteran signings have not panned out but most of those bad deals will be gone within the next couple of years and with more young players being inserted into the lineup we will need the veterans more than ever. Pearson is still in his prime, good leader, good two way player, has good chemistry with Bo and has good playoff experience. I'm giving almost the entire team a mulligan this season so all in all I like this deal.

• Cheers 1

don't really get the hate with pearson 3.25mil for a 15-20 goal scorer is consider terrible nowadays? he's still on pace for more than 15 goals this season if it was a full season and this was an anomaly year.. 3.25mil even in the bottom 6 that can score 10-15 goals is better than any of the bottom 6 deals we have signed ever since JB took over.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JC2 said:

Don't understand the hate for this deal. I know most of the veteran signings have not panned out...

I think it's mainly because Benning has signed similar contracts before which is largely why we have a cap mess right now.

Could be that making sure we have space for the essential signings of Petey and Huggy is paramount, and JB hasn't exactly shown amazing prowess in shedding cap when and where required.

Might be that some feel in a covid and cap world that 3.25 is too high for a guy with a questionable point total this season.

I am indifferent, personally. I see both pros and cons, and at least Bo finally has a permanent linemate.

Edited by kloubek

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

How often do players get told they will be spending the year in the AHL with no chance of getting into an actual game?  Benning needs to play hardball with this lazy piece of garbage and make his life miserable if he insists on continuing to attempt to disgrace the franchise with his pitiful excuse for effort.  Most guys have at least some pride.

Thats not how it works in a league with guaranteed contracts though. Eriksson signed a contract that Benning gave him. Players who sign contracts cant demand an owner or GM break it to give them more money if they exceed the value of it with their play. And teams cant demand a player retire and forego money owed to them because it will make their life easier. 

Benning may tell Eriksson he isnt going to play for the Canucks but he cant make Eriksson retire if he doesnt want to. 

Its easy to blame just Eriksson. Benning is the one who gave him the contract though. He took the risk now he has to suffer the cap consequences. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats not how it works in a league with guaranteed contracts though. Eriksson signed a contract that Benning gave him. Players who sign contracts cant demand an owner or GM break it to give them more money if they exceed the value of it with their play. And teams cant demand a player retire and forego money owed to them because it will make their life easier. 

Benning may tell Eriksson he isnt going to play for the Canucks but he cant make Eriksson retire if he doesnt want to. 

Yeah, but he can make him ride a bus across the US and live in the middle of nowhere.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

On other teams you can sometimes hear coaches talk of how they trust all their lines regardless of competition.  They use matchups more to exploit than to shelter.

It’s not the case in Vancouver where there is a significant strain on the top-6 to produce while playing the toughest competition, while the bottom-6 has a fairly sheltered role.

Sutter with the wingers given isn’t a defensive line but it’s not an offensive line either despite lesser competition.  That line has no real role and can’t relieve pressure from the top-6, as they can’t play tougher matchups and aren’t generating all that much offence.

If they bring back the same players then not sure how anything will change. The path to becoming a contender shouldn’t just be dependent on the progress of young players but also on optimizing deployment and composition of the team. 

In the off-season Benning talked of using Gaudette on the PK.  Hasn’t happened instead it’s Roussel that got the role.  Benning says they won’t be among the top contenders for another two years.  It might be time to see what they have in some of those younger players.  They also need opportunity and repetition to take on increased roles and become consistent at it.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think it's mainly because Benning has signed similar contracts before which is largely why we have a cap mess right now.

Could be that making sure we have space for the essential signings of Petey and Huggy is paramount, and JB hasn't exactly shown amazing prowess in shedding cap when and where required.

Might be that some feel in a covid and cap world that 3.25 is too high for a guy with a questionable point total this season.

I am indifferent, personally. I see both pros and cons, and at least Bo finally has a permanent linemate.

People are mad cause it is alway a year too long and a million too much with the bottom six. Those add up and when we are finally out of it and all though JB learned his lesson to be a hard ass in negotiations, he pulled a Benning again.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

On other teams you can sometimes hear coaches talk of how they trust all their lines regardless of competition.  They use matchups more to exploit than to shelter.

It’s not the case in Vancouver where there is a significant strain on the top-6 to produce while playing the toughest competition, while the bottom-6 has a fairly sheltered role.

Sutter with the wingers given isn’t a defensive line but it’s not an offensive line either despite lesser competition.  That line has no real role and can’t relieve pressure from the top-6, as they can’t play tougher matchups and aren’t generating all that much offence.

If they bring back the same players then not sure how anything will change. The path to becoming a contender shouldn’t just be dependent on the progress of young players but also on optimizing deployment and composition of the team. 

In the off-season Benning talked of using Gaudette on the PK.  Hasn’t happened instead it’s Roussel that got the role.  Benning says they won’t be among the top contenders for another two years.  It might be time to see what they have in some of those younger players.  They also need opportunity and repetition to take on increased roles and become consistent at it.

Half of our pk problem is on Green or Baumer more likely. It looks like if the player never played the pk for another nhl team than he will no play the pk under this coaching staff.

God we have so many problems and it all steam from the very top in Aqua!