The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Hypothetical scenario.

He walks because we didnt sign him to this contract. Proceeds to sign with the leafs for this contract. Lights us up and has a career year.

Sound familiar??

risk I was just fine with. Covid cap has created a lot of leverage for GMs, I just think Jim didn't need to rush into this one, I just don't see a lot of teams offering him something this good.

Its not a crippling deal by any means, just a bit disappointing. 

• Cheers 1

Well no expansion protection means they do plan to expose him. 500k less then he was currently making. He’ll be just shy of 32 before the contract expires. The more I think about it, it’s not a bad deal. Just average. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

risk I was just fine with. Covid cap has created a lot of leverage for GMs, I just think Jim didn't need to rush into this one, I just don't see a lot of teams offering him something this good.

Its not a crippling deal by any means, just a bit disappointing. 

Well, the bitters on twitter seem to think we can’t afford Pettersson or Hughes now :picard:

• Haha 4

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

They would just take Lind or an Utica guy.

I doubt that. Lind maybe. Which I assume benning would send them a pick to not take lind. Even if they did. I dont think lind is any more than a pearson at best. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

How does he still have authority do make the same mistakes over and over again.

We need a 3C and Top 4 RHD.... so let’s sign a middle six winger to significant money and term.

Oh, and let’s do it at a time where it uses up a protection slot during expansion.

Oh, and let’s do it when we have a bunch of those contracts on the books that have gone terribly, leaving us with no cap space.

Oh, and let’s do it in a flat cap world where there will be similar level players available in the summer for 1 year, $1 million contracts.

Well, I wouldn't worry about the protection slot unless this somehow comes with an NMC (EDIT: and of course it doesn't). It's possibly an amount Seattle would pass on so we could leave unprotected - and if he is grabbed then oh well.

But yeah, I'd have been interested in what we could replace him with out of the potential quality of players teams can't fit under their cap.

Edited by elvis15

Just now, rekker said:

A 40 point player who plays a style we need. Cup pedigree and a leader. That's what he's worth folks. In the minority but I'm happy to have him here for three more years. He has great chemistry with Bo so go with the player you know works. 

He's currently on pace for ~27 points over an 82 game season...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1