The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

2 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Well i hope you are correct...

As for your speculation on exhaustion, was Pearson exhausted in Pittsburgh as well? Because his production was about the same.

And not really dramatizing anything, those are just the facts on paper as I see it, I don't pretend to know more than that.

Cheers

oh hey, thanks for not over dramatizing anything, but if you want to warn us your tedious facts, before you submit us with gross facts. Ewwww , not ok.

and not really dramatizing anything ;), the pittsburgh point total shows how lucky Pearson actually was.

Pearson was playing at his true form in the 17 games prior to pittsburgh with one point. Those are the facts I see on my screen and the same facts on your screen as you see it.

It's been over 2 years now since he's been hiding his true form, but sooner or later, eventually, in the long run, when all is said and done, sometime, someday, at the end of the day, finally he will match those totals.

And I will be sitting here idly, biding my time, watching in the background, lurking in the shadows, ready to spew my truth on to everyone who dares oppose my facts.

Tik Tok vroom GIF

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Are you kidding me? The only UFA C better than Sutter is Lowry? Cizikas, Laughton, Wennberg, Coleman (not playing C now but certainly as in the past), Pacquette, Danault, Janmark are all wayyyy better bottom C options than Sutter.  Sutter isn't even an NHL player at this point.  

Sorry, in a rush to write...meant to say all the better options are going to cost more. Cizikas? going to cost more term and money etc. Point being, you're not going to do better than Sutter without spending more money and more term. For a short term deal, at the right cap hit, Sutter makes sense for a team that needs depth C's. And yes, he is an NHL player. That's ridiculous.

Wow - so you genuinely believe Benning bears no responsibility for any of his poor contracts.  And you think his 6 bad forward contracts (Sutter, Baertschi, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Ferland) aka almost every UFA contract the guy has signed, is merely "the expected hit and miss percentages of any management running any team"? So the normal hit and miss percentage is...0%? Your argument boils down to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "nope, nope, nope nothing is every Benning's fault, LALALALA." Whether you acknowledge it or not the person in charge of these decisions bears some responsibility.  That shouldn't be remotely debatable.

I have no problem with pointing fingers at ACTUAL miscues. Eriksson should never have been signed. We should have moved Virtanen. So no, I'm not simply plugging my ears.

Sutter and Beagle were slight overpayments at the time of signing due to a lack of team leverage. The rest on your list were all fair market value (or below in Ferland's case) that haven't worked out do to injuries. Ferland's was a pretty large risk however given his injury history. But still not an overpayment.

I suspect you don't believe such a patently absurd statement and are making increasingly outlandish claims to justify what is universally acknowledged as a poor contract.  In regards to fans whining, or being hyperbolic - when we just lost 2 good players to cap mismanagement,

Nope, we 'lost' one to upgrade to Schmidt. There's no way I'd prefer having Tanev, with his injury history, signed at $4.5x4...and you guys are complaining about THIS deal :lol:The other we lost due to a myriad of reasons, sure cap management (Eriksson/Virtanen) included. But again, even with that, without a global pandemic, Toffoli is still here.

and now we're seeing the exact same type of move that will cause further cap casualties, and we've been one of the worst teams in the league for 6 years now, real fans have a right to be upset. 

It's not an overpayment or a player we should have moved from. I was expecting it was quite likely we re-sign Pearson months ago to both shelter and push the likes of Hoglander and Podkolzin. So no, it's not the 'same type of move'.

Some of us want to win and not waste Petterson and Hughes' primes.  If you're happy being another Edmonton or Buffalo, and think anyone who is bothered by that is "whining" or being "melodramatic" there's not much more to say.  

EDM and BUF would have moved injured Pearson for a 4th and lost him like you guys want. You have that backwards chief.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, in a rush to write...meant to say all the better options are going to cost more. Cizikas? going to cost more term and money etc. Point being, you're not going to do better than Sutter without spending more money and more term. For a short term deal, at the right cap hit, Sutter makes sense for a team that needs depth C's. And yes, he is an NHL player. That's ridiculous.

I have no problem with pointing fingers at ACTUAL miscues. Eriksson should never have been signed. We should have moved Virtanen. So no, I'm not simply plugging my ears.

Sutter and Beagle were slight overpayments at the time of signing due to a lack of team leverage. The rest on your list were all fair market value (or below in Ferland's case) that haven't worked out do to injuries. Ferland's was a pretty large risk however given his injury history. But still not an overpayment.

Nope, we 'lost' one to upgrade to Schmidt. There's no way I'd prefer having Tanev, with his injury history, signed at $4.5x4...and you guys are complaining about THIS deal :lol:The other we lost due to a myriad of reasons, sure cap management (Eriksson/Virtanen) included. But again, even with that, without a global pandemic, Toffoli is still here.

It's not an overpayment or a player we should have moved from. I was expecting it was quite likely we re-sign Pearson months ago to both shelter and push the likes of Hoglander and Podkolzin. So no, it's not the 'same type of move.

EDM and BUF would have moved injured Pearson for a 4th and lost him like you guys want. You have that backwards chief.

i like your message. fighting all these fires sure can be tiring, why not join me in my crusade? fight fire with fire, or in wartime practises its called scorching the earth.

African American Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's another category of 'saw other priorities' but not being in the room and all that I just have to hope this was a wise move. 

As I was saying to the other poster, I think the odds were always that he was likely getting extended vs sold. If anyone had asked me, it was probably like 75% / 25%...and that only went up since he got hurt and the team got the plague. 

We need him to both push/shelter Hoglander and Podkolzin and help build the lineup depth that people are always lamenting. Like people keep whining about roster depth while simultaneously saying we should dump solid players like Pearson because #assetmanagement. It's just silly.

Almost as silly as complaining about him re-upping a solid player like Pearson and attacking Benning's UFA contracts... while simultaneously complaining that we now won't have money to spend on...wait for it...UFA's....:blink:

You can't write this stuff! :lol:

I think the Uber-negative reaction to this is part covid fatigue, part GM fatigue, etc. 

Yes that...plus Twitter-fueled overreaction, hyperbole and melodrama is:

contentmarketing01.png

Is it the best move ever? no its not even Jims best move. Is it the one I wanted? no. Is it some sort of cap doom? no. 

Yeah, like I said, after bringing him here, having some success with Horvat and offering to re-sign him early, ahead of free agency, I was hoping for a smidge more discount. $2.8m'ish at three years would have been GREAT. A nice, bargain contract. Instead we simply got a 'normal' contract. Meh.

But this is hardly Eriksson 2.0 here folks. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Almost as silly as complaining about him re-upping a solid player like Pearson and attacking Benning's UFA contracts... while simultaneously complaining that we now won't have money to spend on...wait for it...UFA's....:blink:

Jim's comment about not having cap problems for the summer has got me thinking.... so making a big assumption here that no one outside of the system is coming in (i.e. Podz and Tryakmin but no one else signed) and Edler is not renewed, I think we are at around 81 mil if Ferland is still on LTIR. I'm assuming that we can get guys like Hawryluk back on similar deals. 

That assumes the Beagle rumours are false, Loui is buried in Utica vs bought out, and we don't lose Holtby to expansion or buy him out. 

So looking at it that way, Jim's correct. Are we a better team? dunno, we'll just have to wait and see how big an impact our new Russians have.

Now if Beagle is done, if we do move Holtby, Loui is bought out now we have space for more moves.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

oh hey, thanks for not over dramatizing anything, but if you want to warn us your tedious facts, before you submit us with gross facts. Ewwww , not ok.

and not really dramatizing anything ;), the pittsburgh point total shows how lucky Pearson actually was.

Pearson was playing at his true form in the 17 games prior to pittsburgh with one point. Those are the facts I see on my screen and the same facts on your screen as you see it.

It's been over 2 years now since he's been hiding his true form, but sooner or later, eventually, in the long run, when all is said and done, sometime, someday, at the end of the day, finally he will match those totals.

And I will be sitting here idly, biding my time, watching in the background, lurking in the shadows, ready to spew my truth on to everyone who dares oppose my facts.

Tik Tok vroom GIF

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how does 2.75 in LTIR get you Hall? 

Like really? I hope they do get Hall if that’s even possible for them and ousted first round by the Vancouver Canucks :ph34r:

• Haha 3

Just now, Devron44 said:

Like really? I hope they do get Hall if that’s even possible for them and ousted first round by the Vancouver Canucks :ph34r:

no kidding, Hall has the stink of failure on him. Please, Mr. Dubas, make this a thing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As I was saying to the other poster, I think the odds were always that he was likely getting extended vs sold. If anyone had asked me, it was probably like 75% / 25%...and that only went up since he got hurt and the team got the plague. 

We need him to both push/shelter Hoglander and Podkolzin and help build the lineup depth that people are always lamenting. Like people keep whining about roster depth while simultaneously saying we should dump solid players like Pearson because #assetmanagement. It's just silly.

:lol:

Yes that...plus Twitter-fueled overreaction, hyperbole and melodrama is:

contentmarketing01.png

Yeah, like I said, after bringing him here, having some success with Horvat and offering to re-sign him early, ahead of free agency, I was hoping for a smidge more discount. $2.8m'ish at three years would have been GREAT. A nice, bargain contract. Instead we simply got a 'normal' contract. Meh.

But this is hardly Eriksson 2.0 here folks. 

thanks again,

many of us here seem to undervalue our players contracts. and many of us believe that the free agent that they really wanted to sign is better than not just jim benning's but every other person's in the world.

they will provide facts, showing thier distaste for these players, claiming many people shared thier "truth".

Know in these people mind any bottom 6 forward is not worth more than 2.999999999m a year. lately people have been disputing the 4th line and bottom 6 claims, and know many people call him a third liner.

but the old claim of 3 million is too much for a 4th line player, not a third line player.

there are many teams with  third line players making 3m+ dollars a  year.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

If an injured Nash is worth a conditional 7th...an injured Pearson is worth what? A conditional 5th, maybe 4th? This is the #assetmanagement you guys are freaking out about? :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2