The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Carl Soederberg is getting 1 million, Toffoli got 1 million more and scores a lot more than Pearson. 

This is a huge overpayment. With the money free agents were signing recently Pearson was worth 2 million max 

Perhaps, the Toffoli bit def stings, but Pearson also had some leverage coming off a career high 45 points. He took a pay cut, just not as large a pay cut as some would have liked. Including me. 

2M max seems completely unrealistic for a guy coming off a 45 point season imo. Anyone expecting him to take a 1.75M pay cut is dreaming. 

After losing Tofu last year I was sure we would trade and say goodbye to Pear. This cap hit and term, where does it fit in our plans. Is Jim and FA expected to resign Quinn and Petey for peanuts? How can we fit everyone in next season? 

Like the two cups and experience he has but this doesn’t make sense.

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

How does he still have authority do make the same mistakes over and over again.

We need a 3C and Top 4 RHD.... so let’s sign a middle six winger to significant money and term.

Oh, and let’s do it at a time where it uses up a protection slot during expansion.

Oh, and let’s do it when we have a bunch of those contracts on the books that have gone terribly, leaving us with no cap space.

Oh, and let’s do it in a flat cap world where there will be similar level players available in the summer for 1 year, $1 million contracts.

Since when is a 3x3 significant lol...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

So are you okay with letting toffoli walk? I'm genuinely curious because this can be the same scenario. I dont mean to single you out specifically but many in this thread are claiming benning didnt learn. 

He let toffoli walk because it would put us in a bad cap situation. Bad move.

He signed Pearson to avoid the toffoli situation.  Bad move.

He put his cereal in before the milk. Bad move.

At a certain point I dont think benning can make a good move in some ppls eyes.

I am, I don't think the 4 years would have been a good move either because the yap was at the time it was north of 5 mil. At his MTL deal tho that would have been workable. 

I don't see Pearson on the same level as TT tho, he's a step down imo and I think Jim needed to wait it out.