The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Why not? 

Loui at a mill per is ok .

Because he's worse than useless and whines to the media when the coach puts him in the press box where he belongs.  Zero excuses for allowing that piece of garbage to waste another minute of icetime for this organization at any level.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I am, I don't think the 4 years would have been a good move either because the yap was at the time it was north of 5 mil. At his MTL deal tho that would have been workable. 

I don't see Pearson on the same level as TT tho, he's a step down imo and I think Jim needed to wait it out. 

Keep in mind Toffoli's 4 years started this season meaning both Pearson and Toffoli contracts will be up the same time. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Since when is a 3x3 significant lol...

Umm when we have no cap space and these types of deals cost us valuable and cap efficient players.

I guess you forgot last offseason and haven’t been paying attention to the team?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

So are you okay with letting toffoli walk? I'm genuinely curious because this can be the same scenario. I dont mean to single you out specifically but many in this thread are claiming benning didnt learn. 

He let toffoli walk because it would put us in a bad cap situation. Bad move.

He signed Pearson to avoid the toffoli situation.  Bad move.

He put his cereal in before the milk. Bad move.

At a certain point I dont think benning can make a good move in some ppls eyes.

I don't agree with this.  Simply go take a look in that Thatcher Demko signing thread.

This move is not terrible, but it's not great either.  I would have much rather seen Pearson moved for a 2nd round pick at this juncture. 

I may be wrong on this, so please correct me if I am...but since Tanner is not a UFA yet the team can't just low ball him and offer him say 1 mill per year contract. While the player is under contract you can only drop their salary by so much. It's part of the NHLPA I believe, it's to prevent players from signing low contracts which then would set the bar lower for all other players that are aligned with said player...when the player becomes an actual UFA, gloves are off and a team can sign them for anything they like.

In other words, if they wanted to keep Tanner they were obligated to sign him for around the same price or a bit less.

Another thing that may have went into Tanners side of the negotiation is that he gels well with Bo Horvat...and we all know how many wingers Bo has had to support over the years...maybe it will  give Bo some piece of mind as well that he has a partner that he can rely on over the next few season.

Anyways my 2 cents. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Just now, c00kies said:

Sure am glad we didn't pay just over 1m more for a legit top 6 winner in Toffoli...

2 year deal should have been the max.

Exactly quite a number of middle 6 wingers were signing for less money and term Pearson's extension

Just now, iinatcc said:

Keep in mind Toffoli's 4 years started this season meaning both Pearson and Toffoli contracts will be up the same time. 

at 4.25 that would have been a decent deal, but the media yap if its to believed is his agent wanted over 5. So I don't see how that was possible given the cap crunch. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I am, I don't think the 4 years would have been a good move either because the yap was at the time it was north of 5 mil. At his MTL deal tho that would have been workable. 

I don't see Pearson on the same level as TT tho, he's a step down imo and I think Jim needed to wait it out. 

Fair enough. I think you're an exception to the group mentality here though. The hypocrites in this thread are something else. 

I do want to add one thing.

I agree Pearson isnt at the same level as toffoli, as is his contract.

3.25×3yrs

4.25×4yrs

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, b3. said:

Becomes significant when you have numerous similar contracts I guess lol

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Umm when we have no cap space and these types of deals cost us valuable and cap efficient players.

I guess you forgot last offseason and haven’t been paying attention to the team?

I bet you guys are gonna complain about Pettersson’s and Hughes’ contracts regardless of what they are lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Fair enough. I think you're an exception to the group mentality here though. The hypocrites in this thread are something else. 

I do want to add one thing.

I agree Pearson isnt at the same level as toffoli, as is his contract.

3.25×3yrs

4.25×4yrs

for me its just the additional year. I don't like that we always seem to need to cough that up. 

• Cheers 2