The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tanner Pearson

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because he's worse than useless and whines to the media when the coach puts him in the press box where he belongs.  Zero excuses for allowing that piece of garbage to waste another minute of icetime for this organization at any level.

Bad take, over run with hyperbole, so a typical Heffy response.

Kills penalties and plays good defense, not worth $6, but worth $1 mill.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

at 4.25 that would have been a decent deal, but the media yap if its to believed is his agent wanted over 5. So I don't see how that was possible given the cap crunch. 

Toffoli probably realized that he wasn't getting 5 million in the open market. 

Likewise if Benning waited Person would have signed for less as well. I don't understand why he didn't wait 

12 minutes ago, Josepho said:

He's currently on pace for ~27 points over an 82 game season...

Puts him sixth in points for forwards on the team. Hopefully a bit of an off year but when Pearson isn't scoring he adds a lot of other skills. Skills that this team is lacking in. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

Toffoli probably realized that he wasn't getting 5 million in the open market. 

Likewise if Benning waited Person would have signed for less as well. I don't understand why he didn't wait 

dunno. Maybe if the stories coming out about Bealge possibly being out next season are true, then maybe Bening was trying to solidify the veteran presence on the team. Also Bo may have been a factor in that he's probably tired of the revolving door of F's on his line. 

• Cheers 2

Too much for too long. Not a fan, but I guess now we just have to hope he finds his game again. If he can play like he used to prior to this season for the duration, this is actually a solid deal, but if he plays like he has this year, this will hurt.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

It’s a bad deal that this club will be regretting as soon as..we’ll now. 
A dim jim special. 
resigning Pearson should have been Lowest priority. 

Jim’s  the Swedish chef of nhl GMs 

nobody including himself has a clue what he’s doing 

65AEBCC2-5E5A-47D1-B5AC-95A4A57FB879.jpeg

F2C906F5-73A2-4764-B6FE-92501ADEB18C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to Capfriendly, now that Demko and Pearson are signed, Canucks now have just over $17 mil in cap space for next year. 

is that enough to sign Petey and Hughes to Brock-like bridge deals, with remaining to fill out a roster? 

Of the players coming, ie Podz, Lind, Tryamkin, etc, only Tryamkin will require something more than an entry level contract (if he comes)

The year after that, Luongos penalty, Louie, Roussel, Beagle, Holtby come off the books, more than enough to resign Bo and Brock and others. We still have Ferlands  $3.5 on LTIR we can use.

And with the Seattle pick, if they choose someone with a large cap hit, even better.

I think money/player (ie trade for pick) could have been used else where, but I’m not losing sleep over this.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dunno. Maybe if the stories coming out about Bealge possibly being out next season are true, then maybe Bening was trying to solidify the veteran presence on the team. Also Bo may have been a factor in that he's probably tired of the revolving door of F's on his line. 

I will he disappointed in Bo then, he should demand quality!

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What are these stories?

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Bad take, over run with hyperbole, so a typical Heffy response.

Kills penalties and plays good defense, not worth $6, but worth $1 mill.

He's actually pretty awful defensively due to his laziness and lack of speed or physicality.  He's simply not good enough to be in the NHL, even in an emergency.  Give the spot to a guy who actually wants to help a team win instead of that floating turd.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I just was pondering on the other page, I won't repost, but I feel like no one will even read my take on this. Maybe you or someone else can let me know.

As per the NHLPA, a contracted player cannot sign for a "bargain" price while they are under contract, as it would be "unfair" to all others that are trying to earn contracts that are comparable to Tanner Pearson, it's protection the NHLPA put in years ago I believe and remember somewhere reading about it. But I can't find anything to confirm...

If Tanner was to go the UFA route next year than any team could give him any kind of offer. But while he is under contract currently those rules do no apply?

Does any of this make sense?

Thx

I just feel like we are crapping on Benning and Co for everything and this doesn't strike me as something to complain about if it's out of Bennings hands and more due to the fact there is protection coming from the NHLPA side of things