The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Well played Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Wait but this doesn't protect us from an offer sheet.

If someone offers EP and QH 5 year deal at 8-9 mil, how can we match?

Edit: or is QH not eligible for an offersheet?

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning will have tons of Cap space in 2022-23 but will be well pressed to sign players this season including EP and QH.

The Cap math clearly shows these 2 are not getting 10 mill plus so that is clearly off the table.

But what is more interesting is that Benning has decided to signed Demko and Pearson prior to signing both EP and QH. I call this a smart play. He is filling in the roster around his 2 young stars and showing them what it cost to do so. I say well played. Well played indeed. 

As the Cap dollars dwindle down and QH as no negotiation rights and EP just slightly more I for one consider this a Great play by Benning.

If EP where to get offer sheeted no doubt would Benning match but at the same time it would take a chunk of money away from QH. I can start seeing this play out now. 2-3 year bridge deal 2 years at 6-6.5mill or 3 years at 6.5-7m. Makes them the highest payed players on the team as should be but doesn't break the bank and they are still RFA after the contracts.

That brings us to 2022-23, Roussel Beagle Eriksson and Lu are off the books. With only Boeser to be re-signed. That make 2022-23 the year to compete for a cup

As I recall Benning did say this team should be competing in a couple of years.

So EP gets offersheeted 8-9 mil and QH just accepts whatever Benning offers?

The very fact that a peer in your age group that performs similarly as you gets paid 8-9 mil immediately gives QH's camp negotiating power. QH could threaten to sit out like Marner did and no one would say he is unreasonable to do so.

The very reason why Marner was able to get 10+ mil was the fact that Matthews, who put up less numbers got 11 mil.

The day EP gets 8-9 mil is the day QH asks for the same amount or sits out.

Think before you type :p

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, khay said:

The very fact that a peer in your age group that performs similarly as you gets paid 8-9 mil immediately gives QH's camp negotiating power. QH could threaten to sit out like Marner did and no one would say he is unreasonable to do so.

The very reason why Marner was able to get 10+ mil was the fact that Matthews, who put up less numbers got 11 mil.

Different players EP a #1 center 

QH #1 d with multiple defensive holes in his game

The 2 really are not comparable. except they are on the same team

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning will have tons of Cap space in 2022-23 but will be well pressed to sign players this season including EP and QH.

The Cap math clearly shows these 2 are not getting 10 mill plus so that is clearly off the table.

But what is more interesting is that Benning has decided to signed Demko and Pearson prior to signing both EP and QH. I call this a smart play. He is filling in the roster around his 2 young stars and showing them what it cost to do so. I say well played. Well played indeed. 

As the Cap dollars dwindle down and QH as no negotiation rights and EP just slightly more I for one consider this a Great play by Benning.

If EP where to get offer sheeted no doubt would Benning match but at the same time it would take a chunk of money away from QH. I can start seeing this play out now. 2-3 year bridge deal 2 years at 6-6.5mill or 3 years at 6.5-7m. Makes them the highest payed players on the team as should be but doesn't break the bank and they are still RFA after the contracts.

That brings us to 2022-23, Roussel Beagle Eriksson and Lu are off the books. With only Boeser to be re-signed. That make 2022-23 the year to compete for a cup

Good post.

Its also likely we will this off season;

1) Buyout Eriksson.  My math says the last year will cost us $3 mill real dollars (versus $4mill owed). Resulting in a $2.33 hit next year $1.33 next following.

2) Lose one of Holtby, Jake or Meyers to Seattle.

Save some salary in any case... 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, khay said:

Marner also had Toronto's salary structure with Johnny Pyjamas and abomination of a contract Dumbass gave Double Flamingo.

7 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good post.

Its also likely we will this off season;

1) Buyout Eriksson.  My math says the last year will cost us $3 mill real dollars (versus $4mill owed). Resulting in a $2.33 hit next year $1.33 next following.

2) Lose one of Holtby, Jake or Meyers to Seattle.

Save some salary in any case... 

Might not be able to buy out Holtby

NHL expansion draft, NHL buy out period needs to line up haven't checked but the expansion draft will have to occur first or we won't comply to the expansion draft rules 

4 minutes ago, Josepho said:

So it's just bad luck that the vast majority of them didn't turn out and had nothing to do with Benning's piss-poor player evaluation or an incorrect assessment of what the team needed?

What would a signing have to do to be considered bad to you?

all signing are good at the time of the signing. the assumption goes like this. These people are NHL GMs so they might know something about the NHL player value.

"piss-poor player evaluation" if Benning is that bad explain to me how he drafts well.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I agree, he just laid it on the line for the two young guys.  Be a team player and understand the depth it takes to build a winner or be selfish and have no depth and languish in the middle for your career.

Neither one of them is irreplaceable at this point

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Josepho said:

So it's just bad luck that the vast majority of them didn't turn out and had nothing to do with Benning's piss-poor player evaluation or an incorrect assessment of what the team needed?

What would a signing have to do to be considered bad to you?

the vast majority?  LE, sure, but that was market value at the time.  Still, I'll gve you that.  Roussel?  I'll give you that all day.  Other than that, he's been pretty good I think, though he's had bad luck with some of those players and injuries.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This call is heavily reliant on how well Benning can negotiate UFA deals with Horvat and Miller and future depth signings. Yes, by forcing Petey and Hughes to signing bridge deals, we are set up to compete in 2022-2023, but the overlap of their bridge deals with our other members of the core is only for one year. Benning is officially out of cap space rope, and will need to make good value signings going forward.

Just a little spreadsheet with hypotheticals, using your numbers for the bridge. I do think it can be somewhere like 6.5 and 7. And keep in mind if someone offer sheets Petey for 9, we are hooped even if we match. Ever since Myers and Ferland, the team's cap situation is dangling on a tightrope.

Assuming we just bring up farm team prospects and just forget about competing due to cap issues in 2021-2022. Yes, we are set up for one year of competition where all the stars and numbers align (i'm assuming lower end raises for Miller, Horvat, Hogs and Boeser)

image.png.2c0ccd11f67b4872819121170dc5be4c.png

Long story short, with Benning's track record of negotiating with UFAs, you can forgive some of us for not being too excited about having a one year window of cost controlled competing where everything lines up. 

It's doable though. See how Benning navigates Horvat and Miller's extensions and what kind of contracts he wants to sign next year

And let's see what petey and hughes get first.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2