Canucks Community

Well played Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

17 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Different players EP a #1 center 

QH #1 d with multiple defensive holes in his game

The 2 really are not comparable. except they are on the same team

And the fact there are plenty of ways to clear cap, Ferland and Beagle open up another 7. Holtby 4, 

And the fact Quinn has zero leverage, plus I'm sure Benning is aware of all scenarios. I mean the lengths people go to trying to make Benning look dumb is too funny.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nuk76 said:

How long do we have to wait before we get competitive? You Benning lovers are unreal. So we're supposed to let him screw up for another 2 yr and hope that he might get lucky and dump some of the horrible contracts. Vancouver fans love supporting bad GM's, Bad coach's and right now bad ownership. Do any of you expect us to be any better next year????

Bad ownership??? How do you get to that conclusion... They spend to the limit every year, and even now with limited income they still support the management financially... 

:picard:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Good post.

Its also likely we will this off season;

1) Buyout Eriksson.  My math says the last year will cost us $3 mill real dollars (versus $4mill owed). Resulting in a $2.33 hit next year $1.33 next following.

2) Lose one of Holtby, Jake or Meyers to Seattle.

Save some salary in any case... 

Buying out Holtbty saves 4 million. LE has the exact same contract as stall had, it cost the Rangers a 2nd, I think Rousell gets worked into the ED with an obvious perk to Seattle. Beagle and Ferland both look like LTIR, just like last season, the cap hell is more a spin the media plays to get clicks. 

13 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Buying out Holtbty saves 4 million. LE has the exact same contract as stall had, it cost the Rangers a 2nd, I think Rousell gets worked into the ED with an obvious perk to Seattle. Beagle and Ferland both look like LTIR, just like last season, the cap hell is more a spin the media plays to get clicks. 

I said we would lose one of Holtby, Jake or Meyer to Seattle. That we would buy out Loui Eriksson.   S heesh

1 hour ago, TheNewGM said:

I was gonna make a thread.. the Pearson signing is another blunder and complete waste of cap space. The guy is CLEARLY DECLINING AND YOU LOCKED HIM IN FOR 3 YEARS.. god Benning is a terrible GM. good at drafting? or maybe just has good scouts.. Probly the worst GM in franchise history.

IF YOU USE REALITY AS YOUR MEASSURE. THE CANUCKS SUCK! FACT! STATS DONT LIE

Ive been watching this team since Bure played his first game. This is getting old.

Since Bure eh? So you’re how old and still write in all caps?

I too agree that benning and his team are planning on using the limited cap space this summer to secure good second contracts for both. I think they are  making an educated bet on petey turning down any offer sheet. 

I just hope that benning ups his game in UFA signing once our window opens and there’s no reason to think he can’t. The team will be a more desired destination then and Jimbo has surely  learned a thing or 2 by now... 

5 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

What is the draft pick compensation scale for this year?

The terms listed below include the average annual value of the offer sheet and the corresponding draft-pick compensation. For an offer sheet of six or seven years, the average annual value would be based on a five-year term:

$1,395,053 million or below -- No draft pick compensation

More than $1,395,053 to $2,113,716 -- third-round pick

More than $2,113,716 to $4,227,437 -- second-round pick

More than $4,227,437 to $6,341,152 -- First- and third-round picks

More than $6,341,152 to $8,454,871 -- First-, second- and third-round picks

More than $8,454,871 to $10,568,589 -- two first-round picks, one second-round pick and one third-round pick

More than $10,568,589 -- four first-round picks (can be spread over five-year period

Outdated?

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1303781658580135938/photo/1

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Willie Mitchell was sad to see him leave Florida, and spoke highly of him.

Gudbranson, 24, spent the 2015.16 season with the Florida Panthers, collecting nine points (2-7-9) and 49 penalty minutes in 64 games. He also appeared in six playoff games. The Ottawa, Ontario native ranked third on the Panthers in hits (150), fourth in blocked shots (73) and fourth in average ice time per game (20:06). The 2010 3rd overall NHL draft pick ranked second on the Panthers and led Florida defencemen in average ice time in the 2016 playoffs (26:54) in addition to ranking second on the team in blocked shots (8).

On a team that amassed 103 points that season, his underlaying numbers can't have been that bad... And on top of that, He could swing them with the best... Something we STILL lack...

Seems like Campbell really was the guy carrying that pairing (no surprise since that guy was an allstar D).  He was able to mask most of the flaws of Gudbranson.  In his defense (no pun intended), I think he was given a pretty short leash with respect to the physicality part (ie, turn the other cheek rather than retaliate) as Canuck which negated that part of his game.  Never was a legit 2nd pairing D though imho.

At least LE was a bonafide two way top six winger in his prime.  Unfortunately for us, his game fell off the cliff uber fast much like Hansen’s game did.

• Cheers 1

People still defending Benning's move just need to look at one key metric. 

2 Playoff appearances in 7 years. And if he claims the team is 2 years from being competitive we could be looking at 2 Playoff appearances in 9 seasons. 

This is not a good stat at all. 

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think that Demko guy is pretty good as well, no? And that McCann boy plays decently as well? Hopefully Podz plays well and BFG may also be decent, if he comes back...after all he was in his first stint.

Benning is a good drafter but not good enough to compensate his short comings in negotiations, communication and trading skills. 

Plus as good as Benning is at drafting he's no Steve Yzermam, Ken Holland, or heck even a Kevin Cheveldayoff 

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

2 Playoff appearances in 7 years. And if he claims the team is 2 years from being competitive we could be looking at 2 Playoff appearances in 9 seasons. 

come on, some of those years have been rebuild years. have you checked out the oilers play offs? they will probably make it in the first round this year same as the leafs. you remember how we made it past those two teams last season.  with some of you on here , it wouldn't matter who the GM is , none of you would be happy as you think you are capable of being the best GM, which none will ever be

• Vintage 2

Just now, bree2 said:

come on, some of those years have been rebuild years. have you checked out the oilers play offs? they will probably make it in the first round this year same as the leafs. you remember how we made it past those two teams last season.  with some of you on here , it wouldn't matter who the GM is , none of you would be happy as you think you are capable of being the best GM, which none will ever be

The thing is teams were able to retool or rebuild much quicker than the Canucks after taking a step back. 

Boston, Capitals, St Louis, Tampa, and even the Habs kind of done their retool / rebuild on the fly that Benning was doing with the Canucks and look to have become competitive much faster than Vancouver. 

Leafs rebuilt faster than Vancouver, and the Hawks, Rangers, and Kings are higher than Vancouver in the standings and they had their rebuild, retool, re-something years after The Canucks 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The thing is teams were able to retool or rebuild much quicker than the Canucks after taking a step back. 

Boston, Capitals, St Louis, Tampa, and even the Habs kind of done their retool / rebuild on the fly that Benning was doing with the Canucks and look to have become competitive much faster than Vancouver. 

Leafs rebuilt faster than Vancouver, and the Hawks, Rangers, and Kings are higher than Vancouver in the standings and they had their rebuild, retool, re-something years after The Canucks 

and have the leafs gone on and done better, no they haven't ,  have the oilers, no not yet, you say the kings are better in the standings ? were they last season?  the Hawks ? this season has been the worst for the canucks due to the schedulers having the Canucks playing more games  than any other team in the first half.    no the Canucks are on track and will be a force in the coming years!!!

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

and have the leafs gone on and done better, no they haven't ,  have the oilers, no not yet, you say the kings are better in the standings ? were they last season?  the Hawks ? this season has been the worst for the canucks due to the schedulers having the Canucks playing more games  than any other team in the first half.    no the Canucks are on track and will be a force in the coming years!!!

& the detractors always conveniently omit that other one lil' detail: our apocalyptic, black hole drafting from about 2006-2012. Our farm WAS a radioactive, toxic dumping ground, when JB took the helm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Benning is a good drafter but not good enough to compensate his short comings in negotiations, communication and trading skills. 

Plus as good as Benning is at drafting he's no Steve Yzermam, Ken Holland, or heck even a Kevin Cheveldayoff 

Did you read the post, I responded to? A daft statement that the only 4 NHL players Benning had drafted were BB,Hogs,QH and EP... Well that is just plain wrong. All the rest can be questioned and debated, but his drafting has been above average, and definitely ok.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seems like Campbell really was the guy carrying that pairing (no surprise since that guy was an allstar D).  He was able to mask most of the flaws of Gudbranson.  In his defense (no pun intended), I think he was given a pretty short leash with respect to the physicality part (ie, turn the other cheek rather than retaliate) as Canuck which negated that part of his game.  Never was a legit 2nd pairing D though imho.

At least LE was a bonafide two way top six winger in his prime.  Unfortunately for us, his game fell off the cliff uber fast much like Hansen’s game did.

I don't disagree with that at all.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, khay said:

Thanks for a pointless response -- your post is just ignorant and adds no value :)

An offer sheets do get tendered, e.g., Montreal and Aho. all it takes is one team to offer EP 8.7 mil to screw a cap crunched team like the Canucks. 

The compensation is one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd. If that offer comes from a playoff contender, that first rounder will be in the 20's. 

Canucks will surely match any offer sheet to EP but if that happens, panic will ensue to become cap compliant in the offseason. 

Heck, if I'm Seattle, I'm putting in an offer sheet on EP.

I know offer sheets happen. Its called sarcasm and if you were as smart as you seem to think you are you would have picked up on it. :)

EP was always going to get paid big money regardless and management knows that. You're out of your mind if you think they haven't set aside money for him and QH plus some extra just in case. Also I believe the player actually has to sign the offer sheet for it to matter. Why would EP want to go to an expansion team, there are no guarantees that Seattle pulls a Vegas and is a league power right from the start. oh and according to NHL.com compensation on an 8.7 mil offer sheet is actually 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third.

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Bad ownership??? How do you get to that conclusion... They spend to the limit every year, and even now with limited income they still support the management financially... 

:picard:

Bad ownership in that they meddle in hockey operation. Stop demanding playoffs every single year and we would have been in a way better position. 

Don't want people to say meddling ownership? Hire a president of hockey op already!

We ain't going anywhere until Aquas are out!

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

You are not wrong at all. 

Is it fair to say that sports are cyclical and there are few dynasties in the cap era? JB’s work here started at the bottom of the cycle and It looks like they are on the upswing. He’s had a fair amount of time given the average time a GM stays with the same team and next year knows no playoff revenue means no more job.

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I know offer sheets happen. Its called sarcasm and if you were as smart as you seem to think you are you would have picked up on it. :)

Sarcasm? Not sure if you pulled it off well enough... and if you were as smart as you seem to think you are, you would have some doubt as to whether you pulled it off well enough :)

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

EP was always going to get paid big money regardless and management knows that. You're out of your mind if you think they haven't set aside money for him and QH plus some extra just in case. Also I believe the player actually has to sign the offer sheet for it to matter. Why would EP want to go to an expansion team, there are no guarantees that Seattle pulls a Vegas and is a league power right from the start. oh and according to NHL.com compensation on an 8.7 mil offer sheet is actually 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third.

Yes, he was going to get paid big money if not for COVID. EP is not going to get more than 7 mil barring an offer sheet in the current economic situation. 

Sure, 8.5 then. But source? I couldn't find 8.7 mil compensation being 2 firsts. All I can find are these two sources:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2020/9/9/21428305/2020-2021-nhl-offer-sheet-compensation-has-been-set

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

Your source? because right now, you are just words no evidence. Thanks in advance.

And to answer your question as to why EP would sign with an expansion team... money? Seattle offers EP 8.5 x 5 to take him to UFA. Why wouldn't EP sign it?

Someone as smart as you surely aren't going to be so naive to think that professional athletes whose peak earning years usually span no more than 10 years would put Canucks and their fans ahead of their own livelihood... 

• Cheers 1