The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Well played Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

On 4/8/2021 at 7:29 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning will have tons of Cap space in 2022-23 but will be well pressed to sign players this season including EP and QH.

The Cap math clearly shows these 2 are not getting 10 mill plus so that is clearly off the table.

But what is more interesting is that Benning has decided to signed Demko and Pearson prior to signing both EP and QH. I call this a smart play. He is filling in the roster around his 2 young stars and showing them what it cost to do so. I say well played. Well played indeed. 

As the Cap dollars dwindle down and QH as no negotiation rights and EP just slightly more I for one consider this a Great play by Benning.

If EP where to get offer sheeted no doubt would Benning match but at the same time it would take a chunk of money away from QH. I can start seeing this play out now. 2-3 year bridge deal 2 years at 6-6.5mill or 3 years at 6.5-7m. Makes them the highest payed players on the team as should be but doesn't break the bank and they are still RFA after the contracts.

That brings us to 2022-23, Roussel Beagle Eriksson and Lu are off the books. With only Boeser to be re-signed. That make 2022-23 the year to compete for a cup

As I recall Benning did say this team should be competing in a couple of years.

I think you could add the QH and EP wanted a deal like this because they buy into the idea

that

a: Both players need to show a little more. Both have room to grow. You only give 13million 

to PROVEN NHLer's. Year after grinding year guys that produce consistently especially in 

the playoffs.

and 

b: They know that if both of them were to ask for 10million plus it would hinder the team 

overall as we would not be able to spread the money over 4 lines the way we could if

they signed for cheaper. 

Toronto has 40 million on 4 players and the cap is NOT going up for the next few years. 

They NEEDED the cap to go up and its not happening. 

Edited by Shirotashi

7 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Bad ownership in that they meddle in hockey operation. Stop demanding playoffs every single year and we would have been in a way better position. 

Don't want people to say meddling ownership? Hire a president of hockey op already!

We ain't going anywhere until Aquas are out!

Sorry 24K but nope....

Firstly, where is the proof they are meddling (except hear say and media/fans speculation), 

but secondly and more importantly, Its their flipping business... 

Who would own A billion dollars business and not have a say?

And finally who would call time on the GMs tenure if it wasn’t the owners? A president of hockey operations? Maybe? And who would control him? What if he was happy with the plans of Benning? 

Just because we may don’t agree with the decisions made, doesn’t mean they are wrong. They may be, time will tell, but we don’t have all the information. 
As the old saying goes ‘be careful, what you wish for’.... There’s plenty fans around the league that wishes their owners would spend like ours.

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

Benning will have tons of Cap space in 2022-23 but will be well pressed to sign players this season including EP and QH.

The Cap math clearly shows these 2 are not getting 10 mill plus so that is clearly off the table.

But what is more interesting is that Benning has decided to signed Demko and Pearson prior to signing both EP and QH. I call this a smart play. He is filling in the roster around his 2 young stars and showing them what it cost to do so. I say well played. Well played indeed. 

As the Cap dollars dwindle down and QH as no negotiation rights and EP just slightly more I for one consider this a Great play by Benning.

If EP where to get offer sheeted no doubt would Benning match but at the same time it would take a chunk of money away from QH. I can start seeing this play out now. 2-3 year bridge deal 2 years at 6-6.5mill or 3 years at 6.5-7m. Makes them the highest payed players on the team as should be but doesn't break the bank and they are still RFA after the contracts.

That brings us to 2022-23, Roussel Beagle Eriksson and Lu are off the books. With only Boeser to be re-signed. That make 2022-23 the year to compete for a cup

As I recall Benning did say this team should be competing in a couple of years.

Yes, 22-23 should be a year of promise - as long as JB doesn't go and sign long term contracts with any expiring deadwood and I'm not sure he'll be smart enough to resist doing that as he's already overpaid and overextended on a three year contract with Pearson which is starting his senior citizen years of decline.  So I'm very worried and will have a Sh1t-Fit if he resigns Edler on a Loui Eriksson type deal.   I don't trust his judgment at all when it comes to trades , signings or re-signings.   He should stick to scouting and the Canucks should hire a smart GM that wont get outwitted by other GM"s - which I suspect is the case with Jimmy boy!

15 hours ago, DSVII said:

Some interesting 2021 UFA comparables we can look at to see how well this deal ages in the offseason.

Player (2019/20 pts, age)

We signed:

Tanner Pearson (45 pts - 29 years old) - current deal: $3.75mil, extended $3.25 mil x 3

vs

Expiring UFAs for 2021

Jaden Schwartz (57 pts, 29 years old) Current Deal: $5.35 mil

Mike Hoffman (59 pts, 31 years old) Current Deal : $4 mil

Mikael Granlund (30 pts, 29 years old) Current deal : $3.75 mil

Joel Armia (30 pts, 29 years old) - Current deal: $2.6 mil

Zach Hyman (37 pts,  29 years old) -  Current deal : $2.25 mil

Blake Coleman (32 pts, 29 years old) - Current deal : $1.8 mil

Erik Haula (24 pts, 30 years old) Current Deal: $1.75 mil

Pearson has 6 goals in 33 games and his current points avg equates to 27 points in an 82 game season.  He's on a rapid decline, aging and is being outskated, outplayed and out muscled regularly by bigger, faster, stronger more skilled young players.  He's an older "B-grade" player who should NOT have been resigned - especially for 3 more long years.  This will prove to be another in the long long list of overpaid, overextended bad "B-Grade" signing by JB to join the ranks of many others we're stuck with now.  Mark my words!

• Vintage 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:06 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Good post.

Its also likely we will this off season;

1) Buyout Eriksson.  My math says the last year will cost us $3 mill real dollars (versus $4mill owed). Resulting in a $2.33 hit next year $1.33 next following.

2) Lose one of Holtby, Jake or Meyers to Seattle.

Save some salary in any case... 

Seattle can have all three for a Starbucks gift card as far as I'm concerned.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody is offer sheeting Petey $9 million. Is there even one team that has the cap space to do it?  And no Ottawa and Detroit aren’t gonna do it. 

why not? montreal offered aho so it's not unreasonable for a team to do it. columbus in theory could too since they can't lure any stars to that city. there's plenty of reason certain teams would do it

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

Willie Mitchell was sad to see him leave Florida, and spoke highly of him.

Gudbranson, 24, spent the 2015.16 season with the Florida Panthers, collecting nine points (2-7-9) and 49 penalty minutes in 64 games. He also appeared in six playoff games. The Ottawa, Ontario native ranked third on the Panthers in hits (150), fourth in blocked shots (73) and fourth in average ice time per game (20:06). The 2010 3rd overall NHL draft pick ranked second on the Panthers and led Florida defencemen in average ice time in the 2016 playoffs (26:54) in addition to ranking second on the team in blocked shots (8).

On a team that amassed 103 points that season, his underlaying numbers can't have been that bad... And on top of that, He could swing them with the best... Something we STILL lack...

Gudbranson was a LOSER and Willie Mitchell was full of Sh1t spewing BS like that.  He is still in the bottom 25 worse +/- players in the entire National Hockey league out of over 850 players and getting worse by the day.  He was over-rated and under performed and never lived up to expectations -sort of like Lazy Jake is.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Gudbranson was a LOSER and Willie Mitchell was full of Sh1t spewing BS like that.  He is still in the bottom 25 worse +/- players in the entire National Hockey league out of over 850 players and getting worse by the day.  He was over-rated and under performed and never lived up to expectations -sort of like Lazy Jake is.

And you knew that the day Benning signed him?

• Vintage 1

i doubt you'll see them willing to sign a 2-3 year bridge deal.. their agent will prolly advise them signing a 1 year 6-6.5mil deal and go at it again next season when the team have more cap. there's literally 0 reasons for them to sign anything more than a 1 year deal as i doubt they gonna have to worry about not getting a contract offer or risking a career ending injury

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Pearson has 6 goals in 33 games and his current points avg equates to 27 points in an 82 game season.  He's on a rapid decline, aging and is being outskated, outplayed and out muscled regularly by bigger, faster, stronger more skilled young players.  He's an older "B-grade" player who should NOT have been resigned - especially for 3 more long years.  This will prove to be another in the long long list of overpaid, overextended bad "B-Grade" signing by JB to join the ranks of many others we're stuck with now.  Mark my words!

LOL facts vs opinions. I don"t recall the games i watched that Pearson  was REGULARLY beat by such players.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i doubt you'll see them willing to sign a 2-3 year bridge deal.. their agent will prolly advise them signing a 1 year 6-6.5mil deal and go at it again next season when the team have more cap. there's literally 0 reasons for them to sign anything more than a 1 year deal as i doubt they gonna have to worry about not getting a contract offer or risking a career ending injury

Was it not something like that they said, before Horvat and Brock signed their contracts?

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You may talk smack about Guds but not Willie Mitchell! 

If Malkin didn't give him that concussion in 2010 we'd be celebrating our first cup. Instead of talking about Ballard's hip checks 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, 22-23 should be a year of promise - as long as JB doesn't go and sign long term contracts with any expiring deadwood and I'm not sure he'll be smart enough to resist doing that as he's already overpaid and overextended on a three year contract with Pearson which is starting his senior citizen years of decline.  So I'm very worried and will have a Sh1t-Fit if he resigns Edler on a Loui Eriksson type deal.   I don't trust his judgment at all when it comes to trades , signings or re-signings.   He should stick to scouting and the Canucks should hire a smart GM that wont get outwitted by other GM"s - which I suspect is the case with Jimmy boy!

Yeah, after this signing, I would add agents as another group that has done very well when dealing with JB; I am starting to wonder if this group (including Aquaman) have an internal cap when it comes to player contracts or are they mainly just depending on Google & the agents to set the starting price ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

You may talk smack about Guds but not Willie Mitchell! 

If Malkin didn't give him that concussion in 2010 we'd be celebrating our first cup. Instead of talking about Ballard's hip checks 

Oh I remember Willie Mitchell very well and not slamming him as a player but in him making that "inflated" comment about Guds.  I even remember Luongo spewing similar BS about him and after Guds got here was scratching my head asking W T F they were talking about as he was just an average player at best.

While on topic, my lasting memory of Willie M. BTW, was in that do or die playoff game against Chicago in 08-09 (if i remember correctly) where he was pinned on the left board with the puck in our zone late in the 3rd and just blatantly released the puck right out the middle onto the opponents stick who scored and killed our playoff hopes that year instead of clearing along the boards instead of the middle (Pee-wee rule # 36).

Other than that and to be fair he was good fighter and did have some bright spots in many games but my lasting memory unfortunately - is that awful giveaway.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

Sorry 24K but nope....

Firstly, where is the proof they are meddling (except hear say and media/fans speculation), 

but secondly and more importantly, Its their flipping business... 

Who would own A billion dollars business and not have a say?

And finally who would call time on the GMs tenure if it wasn’t the owners? A president of hockey operations? Maybe? And who would control him? What if he was happy with the plans of Benning? 

Just because we may don’t agree with the decisions made, doesn’t mean they are wrong. They may be, time will tell, but we don’t have all the information. 
As the old saying goes ‘be careful, what you wish for’.... There’s plenty fans around the league that wishes their owners would spend like ours.

Yeah it is his team he can do whatever he wants until he finds out that he can't even fill a quarter of the building. 

9 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah it is his team he can do whatever he wants until he finds out that he can't even fill a quarter of the building. 

And that is absolutely correct... If you are unhappy with the product, don't go... 

6 hours ago, combover said:

Just like we had cap space last summer.

bennings a proven idiot and the worst gm currently employed in the nhl. 
Crap team capped out for going 7 seasons.

excuses are his real specialty.

That’s funny... I didn’t realize you changed your name to bennings. 

14 hours ago, spook007 said:

Was it not something like that they said, before Horvat and Brock signed their contracts?

lol horvat pretty much got what he's worth.. he's not like a petterson or hughes lvl almost ppg guy.. he's like a .5 .6 ppg guy when he signed his contract so 5.5 is about reasonable.. boeser maybe got like 1 1.5 less than what he prolly coulda gotten.. but he's coming off multiple injuries and he's also structured to pretty much gurantee 8mil+ on his next contract as his qualifying will be 7.5+

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol horvat pretty much got what he's worth.. he's not like a petterson or hughes lvl almost ppg guy.. he's like a .5 .6 ppg guy when he signed his contract so 5.5 is about reasonable.. boeser maybe got like 1 1.5 less than what he prolly coulda gotten.. but he's coming off multiple injuries and he's also structured to pretty much gurantee 8mil+ on his next contract as his qualifying will be 7.5+

So does Petey kind off... Its not as if Petey set the world on fire this season...

I think they'll both end up with a bridge deal, but time will tell. Point was, that folks were concerned about the same, when these deals had to be made...