The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Well played Benning

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok.  Let's try one more time.   The league projected 5.4 billion and set the cap for that.   They made 4.35 - that's one billion short.    This year the revenues will be what?   2.5-3 maybe.   That's a lot of money the players owe the owners.   It will take years of flat cap to make up for it.    They league needs to make 3-4 billion over 5.4 up before the cap will go up again.   Or am i wrong? 

YES, you are wrong. the  CBA states nothing about the owners getting thier money back before the cap rises.

it states For any League Year where Preliminary HRR is between $3.3 Billion and $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit for the following League Year shall be between $81.5 Million and $82.5 Million on a pro rata basis (e.g., if Preliminary HRR is $4.05 Billion, the Upper Limit will be $82 Million). so cap goes up to 82.5 in 2022/2023 83.5  in 2023/2024 and 84.5 in  2024/2025. then the CBA expires and they carry on like they're normal

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

the nhl will be breaking the contract of the CBA if they don't increase the upper limit. the players don't give very many thoughts about the poor owners losing hand over fist this and last year. As soon as the NHL revenue reaches the agreement the owners and players agreed to the Cap will go up. Besides @Bob.Loblawwas conviently leaving out part of bettmans take. "NHL salary cap will remain flat or near flat for the immediate future" read into that all you want. but what I take is that he expects no raises next year, and he expects the cap  will go up modestly like 1 million which is pre-determined in the CBA

The players won't do anything.   The league could have just cancelled the season entirely, they have a pandemic clause but chose not to use it.   They've been fair with them and the players know this (more then fair really, getting paid full money for 2/3 a season ...).   Don't expect the cap to go up, the senior agreement is revenues are split 50/50.    Why Bettman and Daly made it crystal clear the cap wouldn't be going up for some time, until the players had paid back in work owed and in inflated paycheques when the revenues weren't available to spend.    In most private business lay offs occur, players aren't stupid i'd think they'd know how lucky they are, especially the ones who signed just before all of this happened and even during before they knew just how bad it was going to get.    Problem is GMs just can't help themselves, and some will for sure screw this up for others.    Flat cap isn't a bad thing, it just will take time to recover the losses.   If revenue goes up to 6.4 next season, that's one billion recovered...of 3-4 anticipated overall.    If it is 5.4 well then this going to take a very long time.    One problem that will happen is that some of the debt is going to left on younger players.  At least they are structuring deals so owners get some breathing room to make some money up as in actual cash flow. 

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The players won't do anything.   The league could have just cancelled the season entirely, they have a pandemic clause but chose not to use it.   They've been fair with them and the players know this (more then fair really, getting paid full money for 2/3 a season ...).   Don't expect the cap to go up, the senior agreement is revenues are split 50/50.    Why Bettman and Daly made it crystal clear the cap wouldn't be going up for some time, until the players had paid back in work owed and in inflated paycheques when the revenues weren't available to spend.    In most private business lay offs occur, players aren't stupid i'd think they'd know how lucky they are, especially the ones who signed just before all of this happened and even during before they knew just how bad it was going to get.    Problem is GMs just can't help themselves, and some will for sure screw this up for others.    Flat cap isn't a bad thing, it just will take time to recover the losses.   If revenue goes up to 6.4 next season, that's one billion recovered...of 3-4 anticipated overall.    If it is 5.4 well then this going to take a very long time.    One problem that will happen is that some of the debt is going to left on younger players.  At least they are structuring deals so owners get some breathing room to make some money up as in actual cash flow. 

here's the thing, it's nice you think players are all nice and just happy to play. But reality is hockey is a buisness,  just like all businesses they can have bad years. players have agents and lawyers who fight for them. they did a real good job, because the 50/50 split is only contingent on profitable years. if the owner lose money there is nothing to share, but no where did it ever say the players owe them anything for these years.

if you haven't read the Past CBA and current  MOU you shouldn't be arguing with me

edit: actually the 50/50 revenue is split into multiple area's (tv contracts,stadium revenue,food,merchandise) if any of these area's meet the requirement for payout regardless of other area's perfromance the players will recieve thier share. so for this year that means that owners STILL have to share tv Revenue with the players.   

Edited by Petey_BOI

41 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

here's the thing, it's nice you think players are all nice and just happy to play. But reality is hockey is a buisness,  just like all businesses they can have bad years. players have agents and lawyers who fight for them. they did a real good job, because the 50/50 split is only contingent on profitable years. if the owner lose money there is nothing to share, but no where did it ever say the players owe them anything for these years.

if you haven't read the Past CBA and current  MOU you shouldn't be arguing with me

edit: actually the 50/50 revenue is split into multiple area's (tv contracts,stadium revenue,food,merchandise) if any of these area's meet the requirement for payout regardless of other area's perfromance the players will recieve thier share. so for this year that means that owners STILL have to share tv Revenue with the players.   

March 11 Bettman said the cap would likely remain flat, or stagnant for the duration of the new CBA (four years).   Fill your boots all you want debating the idea that it will go up, the arithmetic says it won't, it all depends on whether revenues allow for it.   The entire CBA revolves around a 50/50 split, and allows for escrow to pay the owners back if revenues don't meet the upper limits of projected revenue - it's designed to make sure the split is equal. 

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

March 11 Bettman said the cap would likely remain flat, or stagnant for the duration of the new CBA (four years).   Fill your boots all you want debating the idea that it will go up, the arithmetic says it won't, it all depends on whether revenues allow for it.   The entire CBA revolves around a 50/50 split, and allows for escrow to pay the owners back if revenues don't meet the upper limits of projected revenue - it's designed to make sure the split is equal. 

listen i already adressed this, but i will go over it again.

@Bob.Loblawand you both are putting words into his mouth. did you watch the interview? i did.

he stated the upper limit will stay flat or near flat for the immediate future. and I'm putting all my marbles on revenue going above 4.5 billion next year.

as for the rest of your statement, please just stop arguing points you clearly haven't read and understood thoroughly. 

The CBA has measures in place for when revenues do not cover cost ++ . generally if revenue does not cover these costs the revenue shall be shown to be not less than 0$.

as for Escrow you also seem to not understand it. players do not pay into escrow, Owners may hold back salary if they predict they will lose money.

this year the maximum amount of salary owners can defer into the Escrow account is 20% next year is 14-18% then 2022/2023 is 10% and every other year until the CBA expires is 6%. (there is also a rule about games played  that states they can withhold 100% NHL Salary from a AHL player)

i would also like to point out that escrow has existed in the NHL for many years. the reasoning is that owners that lose money can pay thier players when they get there share of the owners revenue sharing. this may be the first year in history that Florida pays into this account 

Edited by Petey_BOI

12 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

listen i already adressed this, but i will go over it again.

@Bob.Loblawand you both are putting words into his mouth. did you watch the interview? i did.

he stated the upper limit will stay flat or near flat for the immediate future. and I'm putting all my marbles on revenue going above 4.5 billion next year.

as for the rest of your statement, please just stop arguing points you clearly haven't read and understood thoroughly. 

The CBA has measures in place for when revenues do not cover cost ++ . generally if revenue does not cover these costs the revenue shall be shown to be not less than 0$.

as for Escrow you also seem to not understand it. players do not pay into escrow, Owners may hold back salary if they predict they will lose money.

this year the maximum amount of salary owners can defer into the Escrow account is 20% next year is 14-18% then 2022/2023 is 10% and every other year until the CBA expires is 6%. (there is also a rule about games played  that states they can withhold 100% NHL Salary from a AHL player)

i would also like to point out that escrow has existed in the NHL for many years. the reasoning is that owners that lose money can pay thier players when they get there share of the owners revenue sharing. this may be the first year in history that Florida pays into this account 

So does this mean you now agree that the cap is going to remain flat?   Or disagree still?   You don't need to lecture me on escrow or the CBA.   I think i preferred our last debate over what EP should be paid.

Less then AHO, over the same time period better in virtually every category there have been over a dozen C's that outperformed him.    EP is 19th for PGP for all centers his first three years, and 25th for points so far.    Which puts him in the 7-7.5 million range on a long term deal compared to his peers in a flat cap environment, even with a lot of these guys on their UFA third deal money (18 players above him in PGP only four are on their second contract deals, the rest are UFA deals) .   Suggested 6.5-7x 6....that was more fun because the chances of me being wrong are higher lol.  

Boi, i notice you like to take stances that are against the grain, for that i applaude you, but some things just aren't worth doing that with and this is one of them.   It's been made pretty clear several times that the cap won't be going up until the owners get their share.   2024-2025 is what they are saying it will take before another significant increase.   Where Seattle does help is adding approx 3% more jobs, and the income it adds will also help catch up.   

Also.   You did a great job of explaining why Pearson's contract was a fair or even good one on another thread.   I agree it is, but didn't think we could afford him.   So we can agree to something, don't sweat it.   On this point i have to go with the math too, hard to know where the revenue will end up this season, at most 3b.   League would have to make 6.4 ... for three years.  With 32 teams x 81.5 the league has to earn 5.25ish B to make the split 50/50.   

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

So does this mean you now agree that the cap is going to remain flat?   Or disagree still?   You don't need to lecture me on escrow or the CBA.   I think i preferred our last debate over what EP should be paid.

Less then AHO, over the same time period better in virtually every category there have been over a dozen C's that outperformed him.    EP is 19th for PGP for all centers his first three years, and 25th for points so far.    Which puts him in the 7-7.5 million range on a long term deal compared to his peers in a flat cap environment, even with a lot of these guys on their UFA third deal money (18 players above him in PGP only four are on their second contract deals, the rest are UFA deals) .   Suggested 6.5-7x 6....that was more fun because the chances of me being wrong are higher lol.  

Boi, i notice you like to take stances that are against the grain, for that i applaude you, but some things just aren't worth doing that with and this is one of them.   It's been made pretty clear several times that the cap won't be going up until the owners get their share.   2024-2025 is what they are saying it will take before another significant increase.   Where Seattle does help is adding approx 3% more jobs, and the income it adds will also help catch up.   

Also.   You did a great job of explaining why Pearson's contract was a fair or even good one on another thread.   I agree it is, but didn't think we could afford him.   So we can agree to something, don't sweat it.   On this point i have to go with the math too, hard to know where the revenue will end up this season, at most 3b.   League would have to make 6.4 ... for three years.  With 32 teams x 81.5 the league has to earn 5.25ish B to make the split 50/50.   

Before, i say anything else to seem like a jerk, I just want you to know I respect you alot. ever since "I met you" and came into your thread and spread my millennial views.

I have a history of being on the defensive, might have something to with that  I had 11 different houses i called home from the ages of 1-15 I went to 7 different schools in that time. 

I don't apologize though, i feel it's a waste of time. I as a person won't change unless i deeply want to and put in the effort. If I want to make any real relationships i should soon though. I heard it takes about two years of therapy to get over PTSD

now to be a jerk again.

for next year there is zero chance of a increase, but every year after next will rise (Unless economy tanks again) accordingly as stated out in the CBA.

however petty my argument is, and it's very petty indeed. I'm not going to concede, If the gates are open come October for US teams they will at LEAST make 3.3Billion, but I also Believe that by no later than Christmas the Canadian gates will be fully open. I believe the Demand for entertainment will be at all time high and if the league advertises itself well, will see new and continued growth.

the owners will honour the agreement of marginal increases that follow the agreement outlined in the MOU.

the only situation the owners can potentially renegotiate is if the revenue fails to grow in 2 subsequent years starting from year one which is this 2020/2021 season. 

If they Don't the players have every right to sue for potential income loss. It is a clearly written contract that a judge would deem unbreakable.

the players dont owe the owners anything, the 50/50 revenue agreement as it's written is strictly a positive thing for the players. and has absolutely nothing to with the Upper limit of the Salary Cap directly related through the seasons from 2020/2021 -  2024/2025. think of the 50/50 revenue split as the cherry on top.

as for the pearson and ep40 contract things, I'm going to be straight with you. I'm straight out talking out my *** I don't know how capologists/scouts/gm do thier job to assigning value to a player. I just assume that a GM won't base thier entire judgment on a players value on thier individual performance, in a shortened season. this year has been craptacular for our players, and everyone is having a off year except Boeser,Motte and Demko. 

I think why were all fighting on this forum is because we all thought the Canucks were going to improve on last season's success. And right away people started to attack everyone that didn't meet thier expectations. for some people they were blaming the players (EP40 Wasn't even safe from the hate), some the coaches, some the GM and some all three.

that being said Do i think these people deserve a pass from judgement? no i do not. the reason i Usually take the defensive is because of the amount of hate  towards these people i feel is just poorly thought out, and lacks insight. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

you know whats sad, your comment. i have posted several proofs in this thread that suggest all you haters are full of lies and misguided speech.

can you show me any proof of signings other than 1 year contracts, or the name tyler toffoli in it that tanner pearson is overpaid?

i guess you'll spout some nonsense about flat cap, so i will answer your lack of vision before you mention it.

the cap will not be going up this year, but there is a really good chance of it going up next year. just like every other season post covid.

flat cap what?

Let me explain were I am coming from and no need to be so dismissive with your comment (whatever happened to agreeing to disagree - simply disagree & prove your point and lets have a hockey discussion about our favorite team ?). If you had read any of my post I had been a JB supporter for a long time and I am just voicing MY opinion with JBs' tendency to overpay for support type players for the main reason of mentorship/sheltering and so far, hindsight has not been kind to most of his signings for these reasons.  Moving forward, I hope he continues to evolve cause his drafting has been (not perfect but mostly) good and that he becomes more prudent with his cap management cause as the young core comes off there elc, they will be requiring more of the cap to get signed; although, with his last presser he seems to be confident that he is not worried about any cap issues moving forward - don't want to speculate and lets see what he will do instead (buyouts ?).

The Toffoli situation had been debated about alot and (imo) the reason he was not signed was mostly due to the teams cap situation (which was not helped by the flat cap).

For the sake, of the team I hope you are right about the cap rising next year but I remember reading an article where Bettman indicates there will be a flat cap for the (immediate) foreseeable future:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bettman-nhl-salary-cap-will-remain-flat-near-flat-immediate-future/.  Overall, I still hope JB wins with his core and that hindsight will be kinder to this & any other future signing(s).  Lets see how this TDL & offseason will transpire in preparation for next season - GCG !

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Before, i say anything else to seem like a jerk, I just want you to know I respect you alot. ever since "I met you" and came into your thread and spread my millennial views.

I have a history of being on the defensive, might have something to with that  I had 11 different houses i called home from the ages of 1-15 I went to 7 different schools in that time. 

I don't apologize though, i feel it's a waste of time. I as a person won't change unless i deeply want to and put in the effort. If I want to make any real relationships i should soon though. I heard it takes about two years of therapy to get over PTSD

now to be a jerk again.

for next year there is zero chance of a increase, but every year after next will rise (Unless economy tanks again) accordingly as stated out in the CBA.

however petty my argument is, and it's very petty indeed. I'm not going to concede, If the gates are open come October for US teams they will at LEAST make 3.3Billion, but I also Believe that by no later than Christmas the Canadian gates will be fully open. I believe the Demand for entertainment will be at all time high and if the league advertises itself well, will see new and continued growth.

the owners will honour the agreement of marginal increases that follow the agreement outlined in the MOU.

the only situation the owners can potentially renegotiate is if the revenue fails to grow in 2 subsequent years starting from year one which is this 2020/2021 season. 

If they Don't the players have every right to sue for potential income loss. It is a clearly written contract that a judge would deem unbreakable.

the players dont owe the owners anything, the 50/50 revenue agreement as it's written is strictly a positive thing for the players. and has absolutely nothing to with the Upper limit of the Salary Cap directly related through the seasons from 2020/2021 -  2024/2025. think of the 50/50 revenue split as the cherry on top.

as for the pearson and ep40 contract things, I'm going to be straight with you. I'm straight out talking out my *** I don't know how capologists/scouts/gm do thier job to assigning value to a player. I just assume that a GM won't base thier entire judgment on a players value on thier individual performance, in a shortened season. this year has been craptacular for our players, and everyone is having a off year except Boeser,Motte and Demko. 

I think why were all fighting on this forum is because we all thought the Canucks were going to improve on last season's success. And right away people started to attack everyone that didn't meet thier expectations. for some people they were blaming the players (EP40 Wasn't even safe from the hate), some the coaches, some the GM and some all three.

that being said Do i think these people deserve a pass from judgement? no i do not. the reason i Usually take the defensive is because of the amount of hate  towards these people i feel is just poorly thought out, and lacks insight. 

Take care Peter-Boi...i don't mind your posts, no judgement here i learned a long time ago not to assume anything.  One of my better lessons in life.  You could be absolutely correct.  The evidence is against it but yes this is a possibility 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I feel like every year is a year of promise :lol: and once we reach that year it gets pushed back. 

Benning's 2 year timeline is so inconsistent with his moves last season. JT Miller and getting a rental in the form of Toffoli doesn't seem like a move a GM would do in 2020 if he felt the team was going to get competitive by 2022 or 2023. 

Good point.   That Toffoli move was done in desperation to bolster our depleted lines due to injuries and to give our few remaining talented players someone to play with.  The same reason Luck Loui E was brought in - to supposedly support the Sedins.   The loui E deal obviously failed but Tofolli didn't and I was absolutely shocked to see JB let him walk after giving up a 2nd rounder for him and his superb performance - in favor of keeping Lazy Jake - a "C" grade AHL level "bust" player.  What was he thinking?????

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Good point.   That Toffoli move was done in desperation to bolster our depleted lines due to injuries and to give our few remaining talented players someone to play with.  The same reason Luck Loui E was brought in - to supposedly support the Sedins.   The loui E deal obviously failed but Tofolli didn't and I was absolutely shocked to see JB let him walk after giving up a 2nd rounder for him and his superb performance - in favor of keeping Lazy Jake - a "C" grade AHL level "bust" player.  What was he thinking?????

Lol.   If he traded JV and signed TT be honest, you and five or six other posters, would be all over it as a major fail.    Problem with both the homers and the over the top ant-Benning crowd is that so many posts are made that it just becomes  noise.     There is a lot of logical middle ground in between.    For me it was always a rental, said it at the time and said before the post season even started and throughout that all three of those guys should walk.   Tanev for me was the toughest one.   Never seen so much love for a short term player since i started following this team as TT.   What was he thinking?  Signing a tweener who with less top six time matched TT more or less, half a decade younger and 1/4 of the contract cost.   Maybe wait a year and see how things go.  And there was nothing "superb" about his playoff performance (cue he was still injured lol) - he was invisible and avoided contact like Vegas players had lice, aside from one oppurtunistic goal which is his calling card.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   If he traded JV and signed TT be honest, you and five or six other posters, would be all over it as a major fail.    Problem with both the homers and the over the top ant-Benning crowd is that so many posts are made that it just becomes  noise.     There is a lot of logical middle ground in between.    For me it was always a rental, said it at the time and said before the post season even started and throughout that all three of those guys should walk.   Tanev for me was the toughest one.   Never seen so much love for a short term player since i started following this team as TT.   What was he thinking?  Signing a tweener who with less top six time matched TT more or less, half a decade younger and 1/4 of the contract cost.   Maybe wait a year and see how things go.  And there was nothing "superb" about his playoff performance (cue he was still injured lol) - he was invisible and avoided contact like Vegas players had lice, aside from one oppurtunistic goal which is his calling card.   

Well, while i respect your point of view, watching Lazy Jake float around the offensive blue line like a Sea-Gull - waiting for a lucky break and maybe showing up every 10th game or so, that gives me little reason to celebrate his re-signing.  But the Real facts that completely destroys your argument (without a shred of doubt), is that TT has almost 10 times the points output of Lazy Jake at 30 Points and is Points Leader for the entire Montreal Canadians Team, while Lazy Jake has 4 points and is close to the bottom producers on the Canucks - all this for roughly $1.5M more.   In fact I think there are a few goalies with just a point or two less than Lazy Jake if I'm not mistaken (LOL)!

So it sounds like Montreal got things right - based on facts and not on "warm-fuzzy" homer feelings.   Anyhow, not to worry because Lazy Jake will soon be deported over the summer to somewhere deep in the South East where he can do no further harm and not a moment too soon.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

I would have been fine with this. Toffoli would have been the stable presence in the top 6 spot that Jake has repeatedly failed to seize. And this is even when Jake was coming off his 20 goal season. It would have been selling high on a player for once rather than hold them until they are worth nothing and sold low, as is the case with this regime. 

Again, if TT left in isolation, it hurts, but that wasn't the failure. We had three big names leaving the team that provided big value to our success in 2019-2020, the failure wasn't in letting any one of them go, but letting all three of them go without retaining at least one. 

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

I would have been fine with this. Toffoli would have been the stable presence in the top 6 spot that Jake has repeatedly failed to seize. And this is even when Jake was coming off his 20 goal season. It would have been selling high on a player for once rather than hold them until they are worth nothing and sold low, as is the case with this regime. 

Again, if TT left in isolation, it hurts, but that wasn't the failure. We had three big names leaving the team that provided big value to our success in 2019-2020, the failure wasn't in letting any one of them go, but letting all three of them go without retaining at least one. 

Sometimes it is less painful to rip the bandage off. 

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well, while i respect your point of view, watching Lazy Jake float around the offensive blue line like a Sea-Gull - waiting for a lucky break and maybe showing up every 10th game or so, that gives me little reason to celebrate his re-signing.  But the Real facts that completely destroys your argument (without a shred of doubt), is that TT has almost 10 times the points output of Lazy Jake at 30 Points and is Points Leader for the entire Montreal Canadians Team, while Lazy Jake has 4 points and is close to the bottom producers on the Canucks - all this for roughly $1.5M more.   In fact I think there are a few goalies with just a point or two less than Lazy Jake if I'm not mistaken (LOL)!

So it sounds like Montreal got things right - based on facts and not on "warm-fuzzy" homer feelings.   Anyhow, not to worry because Lazy Jake will soon be deported over the summer to somewhere deep in the South East where he can do no further harm and not a moment too soon.

Guess you have not been watching Jake lately. He is going nowhere. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, spur1 said:

Guess you have not been watching Jake lately. He is going nowhere. 

He'll be disposed of in the off season.  No one wants him now as he's of no use to any team competing for a cup due to his lack of initiative and effort.  He's only useful as a spare 5th line winger if a team is in a real pinch during the regular season,

On 4/12/2021 at 2:14 PM, DSVII said:

But this is the hilarious thing about this fanbase.

If they 'sold low' (I use the Neely example not to make the comparisons between the two players, but the impacts), the same fans like you slagging Benning for giving Virtanen a try will say something along the lines of "omg, Benning mishandled Virtanen!!!11"

If they kept him and Virtanen did well, well, you can bet they'll say Benning took on a risk (as they would say for the Miller trade).

Most of these naysaying fans will rarely circle back and say, "yup, i was wrong about this". Some of them have. Usually though, they sit comfortably in their couch using the benefit of hindsight to make a judgement because they don't have the foresight to see what's ahead.

Virtanen has been a disappointment - no one can spin that in any shape or form, but re-signing him wasn't a terrible idea. If Virtanen doesn't understand this, he's never going to understand at any point in time. So why risk selling low on a player just because you were impatient with him?

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

if EP gets a 11M offersheet, whats the resulting payback for the NHL team, isn't it like 4 1st round draft picks?

Nobody is doing that.   An AHO offer sheet would be a kick to the balls though.   He hasn't earned that yet. 

On 4/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, Petey_BOI said:

you know whats sad, your comment. i have posted several proofs in this thread that suggest all you haters are full of lies and misguided speech.

can you show me any proof of signings other than 1 year contracts, or the name tyler toffoli in it that tanner pearson is overpaid?

i guess you'll spout some nonsense about flat cap, so i will answer your lack of vision before you mention it.

the cap will not be going up this year, but there is a really good chance of it going up next year. just like every other season post covid.

flat cap what?

The league would have to close to 14 billion over the next two years to make up for their losses...sure it could happen but doesn't seem likely.