The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic

AK_19

With the new signings of Demko ($5mil) and Pearson ($3.25mil), we are under some serious problems with icing a decent team next year. Next year we have $17,473,121 million in cap space with 15 players signed. Capfriendly states its only 12 players signed but I'm assuming they aren't counting currently injured players.

Signed Next Year:

Forwards

Boeser         $5.87 mil

Horvat          $5.50 mil

Miller            $5.25 mil

Pearson.      $3.25 mil

Roussel        $3.00 mil

Beagle.        $3.00 mil

Virtanen       $2.55 mil

Motte           $1.25 mil

Hoglander  $0.90 mil

Macewan   $0.80 mil

Not counting Ferland here

Defensemen

Myers        $6.00 mil

Schmidt.    $5.95 mil

Goalies

Demko.     $5.0 mil

Holtby       $4.3 mil

Line up as of now is:

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Roussel Macewan Motte

_______ Beagle _______

Schmidt Myers

_____ _____

_____ _____

Demko

Holtby

RFAs we have are:

Pettersson

Hughes

Gaudette

Tryamkin

Joulevi

Pettersson and Hughes will be signed. Because of only having 17 million to work with and a number of roster spots that still need to be filled up, the need to give them bridge contracts is pretty certain. Based on comparables, I think they will be signed to:

Pettersson 7mil x 3. Basically the Barzal contract

Hughes 6mil x 3/4. This one is tougher because most teams lock up young elite dmen for longer terms. Mcavoy was the closest I can find for 5mil but Hughes is better.

I recognize these numbers are likely on the lower side, if anything. That leaves us with 4-5 million with excellent contracts to our core players.

I don't know where to find the numbers but I believe 1 million is also reserved for bonus overages from this year.

So we've now got 3-4 million and 7 roster spots to fill. Even if they all took minimum wage, this is basically impossible without significant trades and/or use of buyouts. What is definitely clear is there is no way Edler or Sutter are returning or any UFA of any significance can be signed next off-season.

Just to fit our team under the cap, a number of these players need to be waived (I don't think they are tradeable without losing assets):

Eriksson - Saves us only 1 mil from his current cap hit on the taxi squad. It also means we carry a cap hit for future years for such a small pay-off.

Holtby - Saves us 3.8 million. I hated the contract from the beginning but I'm glad it was structured in a way to be an effective buyout. Despite mentions here of him being potentially targeted by Seattle, I don't see it. There are at least three goalies that will be exposed better than Holtby. 

Beagle/Roussel - would save us each 1.5 mil next year. Not much in savings when considering we also still need to replace their roster spots with at least an 800k player. 

Virtanen - saves us 2.5 mil. 

Honestly, Virtanen and Holtby may both be required here and the only ones worthwhile for the buyout. Those two buyouts help us fill in the rest of our roster at least internally:

Gaudette - 1.0 mil

Tryamkin - 1.5 mil

Joulevi - 900k

Rathbone -900k

Lind - 900k

Gadjovich - 900k 

Podkolzin -900k

Chatfield -800k

Dipietro - 800k

That leaves us with a roster of:

Miller-Pete-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Motte-Gaudette-Hoglander

Roussel-Beagle-Macewan

Lind, Gadjovich

Hughes-Tryamkin

Joulevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Myers

Chatfield

Demko

Dipietro

The only way I see us re-signing Edler/Sutter or a decent UFA is if Seattle picks up Myers in addition to the buyouts suggested. I'm expecting a very rookie-heavy roster next season. Personally, this looks godawful for next season. 

EDIT: Forgot Goalies

Edited by AK_19
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Holtby and potentially Jake + Beagle may be off the books. There's definitely going to be buyouts.

The important thing is to have no expectations next year and sign 1 year UFA journeymen, then see if you can make a push for 2022-23 before we are due to give Horvat, Miller, and Hogs a raise.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Until Tryamkin really does sign here, I facepalm whenever anyone counts on him to be playing for us every next season. 

Not really the point here but if you don't think he's going to be here just swap him with another 1.5 mil dman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loui must be retiring and Aquilini must have given the green light on some buyouts, specifically Holtby.  That's the only thing that makes sense to sign Pearson so early and at that deal.  Aquilini had to approve this deal, no way Benning signs Pearson to a 3 year deal prior to the summer without Aquilini's approval.  Which tells me Benning isn't going anywhere.

This is what I gather as well. They already know they're getting rid of a couple contracts.

Still not a good contract, IMO, but I can see their rationale.

no way Tryamkin  signs at a mill he's gonna want 2.25-2.75

Pearson signing is baffling he's a third line winger   

Roussel better be bought out, Eriksson better retire, beagle better be taken by Seattle.

Thats a extra 10.5 mill in cap.

Myers, Sutter, Edler, Virtanen, Gaudette, Miller traded at deadline  frees another 24.5

We still don't have a decent 3rd line center.

I hope benning is fired if this doesn't happen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

This is what I gather as well. They already know they're getting rid of a couple contracts.

Still not a good contract, IMO, but I can see their rationale.

On the surface it's not a good deal.  But behind the scenes we don't know what is going on.  So we will need to see what else transpires.  For all we know Loui has already agreed to retire as long as he can collect his bonus in the summer.  And Holtby might be bought out as well.  If those two things happen that frees up almost $10 million in cap space.  Enough to sign Petey and Hughes plus go shopping for a legit 3C.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

On the surface it's not a good deal.  But behind the scenes we don't know what is going on.  So we will need to see what else transpires.  For all we know Loui has already agreed to retire as long as he can collect his bonus in the summer.  And Holtby might be bought out as well.  If those two things happen that frees up almost $10 million in cap space.  Enough to sign Petey and Hughes plus go shopping for a legit 3C.

Unless they are injured with life altering injuries like Dorsett, i find it hard to believe Loui would walk away from even $1 million risk free considering they know this is most likely their last NHL contract.

23 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

Roussel better be bought out, Eriksson better retire, beagle better be taken by Seattle.

Myers, Sutter, Edler, Virtanen, Gaudette, Miller traded at deadline  frees another 24.5

why would they wan't our garbage?

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

giphy (6).gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loui must be retiring and Aquilini must have given the green light on some buyouts, specifically Holtby.  That's the only thing that makes sense to sign Pearson so early and at that deal.  Aquilini had to approve this deal, no way Benning signs Pearson to a 3 year deal prior to the summer without Aquilini's approval.  Which tells me Benning isn't going anywhere.

My guess is that the Canucks either have a plan in place for Loui, OR, they know definitively that Beagle will be LTIRetired.