The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic

AK_19

On 4/10/2021 at 2:16 PM, kanucks25 said:

I didn't say any one opinion mattered more, just what the majority thinks, especially outside Vancouver where there isn't a certain type of bias.

LOL.  I don't live in BC anymore, and get the "Eastern" bias news.   JB was picked on the first couple of years, but once Hansen and Burrows were traded and BB arrived things started to change.   Then EP, then QHs and now it's all pretty much good roads and fair weather reporting, with a hint of jealousy even over how JB keeps adding quality rookies year after year.    Outside of Vancouver, at least in Eastern Ontario and MTL area, it's pretty rosy.   Now what Bergevin is up to is an entirely different thing.   Dubas too to a certain degree, but he's been making up for past sins this year.     I don't follow the local news in Vancouver/BC, but can say those here at least sing his praises often enough, and his peers felt highly enough to rank him 10th last year pre-playoffs.   

Personally don't think he's a saviour, but also he for sure hasn't done a terrible job either, and doesn't deserve some of the hate and vitriol spewed on here by a select few posters.    After MG and what he had to work with ... well missing four playoffs in a row is respectable for sure.   Like starting a new franchise under the old expansion rules, but in a 30 team league.   Any "news" about the best emerging cores includes the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

Bowey gives them a D to fulfill their expansion requirements but he also gives them a very cheap D man for next season. It is no accident that both of the players coming in are signed for next year at around 750,000.

Jim says they have no cap issues. Lol.

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Bowey gives them a D to fulfill their expansion requirements but he also gives them a very cheap D man for next season. It is no accident that both of the players coming in are signed for next year at around 750,000.

Jim says they have no cap issues. Lol.

Lol...JB is absolutely correct. 

what happens if a team hits the hard salary cap and doesn't have enough players?...... surely, there must be some sort of exception where you can add some minimum salary players........

was it somewhat foreseen that we'd have to pay Demko that much this soon?... don't get wrong, he deserves it....

when I started the other thread about "what did we get from not resigning any of the JM/CT/TT?", I did think that things would be tight and that it wasn't very easy to sign even one of those players.

I guess we took Schmidt and a veteran backup (Holtby) over signing any of those 3 players?...... we did have an imbalance of good forwards to good defensemen

11 minutes ago, grouse747 said:

what happens if a team hits the hard salary cap and doesn't have enough players?...... surely, there must be some sort of exception where you can add some minimum salary players........

was it somewhat foreseen that we'd have to pay Demko that much this soon?... don't get wrong, he deserves it....

when I started the other thread about "what did we get from not resigning any of the JM/CT/TT?", I did think that things would be tight and that it wasn't very easy to sign even one of those players.

I guess we took Schmidt and a veteran backup (Holtby) over signing any of those 3 players?...... we did have an imbalance of good forwards to good defensemen

If your roster is over the salary cap, you are not allowed to play. Any games you were supposed to play while in a state of exceeding the cap are automatic losses. Further, team ownership can be fined up to US $5 million, and the league may take away draft picks (at their discretion, depending on the severity of the infraction).

If you have reached max salary and do not have a full roster, you either have to ice a shorthanded team or find a way to shed cap.

Edited by MattJVD

Matt, thank you...   I did not know that (shout-out to Johnny Carson)...

that is pretty scary given that many teams are near maxed out this off-season.... many teams trying to do the same thing.

and to think some thought we could trade LE to Ottawa by packaging a 2nd round draft pick.

I think the bid-ask spread on fan's trade ideas is pretty wide................ I remember trading Cory S to NJ for 10th overall pick (correct?). many people thought it was bad trade (at the time. player's subsequent performance is hindsight.. I'm talking trade value). but would you trade a 10th overall pick for CS?

or people thinking we could get back good 1st rounder for Demko after last year's playoffs?.......... would you do that if it was the other way around?.. send a 15th overall pick to a team for a promising goalie that was white-hot for some playoff games.

so it sounds if things get scary cap-wise, you basically need to trade a solid 3rd line player for basically nothing. maybe even a low-end 2nd line player (when I say line, I mean defence too)

I may do another thread on this. but I seriously wonder about free agent signings of players beyond a certain age and pay level.. JB signings have been bad, but I'm thinking he has a lot of company on that.