The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic

AK_19

Either way, Benning's made his bed now he's going to have to lie in it.  Also, to think that this team had the opportunity to go and exploit another team's ED protection situation, to now potentially being low on cap space is quite unfortunate.  Barring Podkolzin really coming on and helping rejuvenate Virtanen and Gaudette, the 3rd line might still be in shambles if we're still going back to Gaud as the 3rd C (as much as I like him, he just doesn't seem like a good fit playing style-wise).

If only July 1st 2016 and 2018 didn't happen in Canucks history, we'd be in much better condition.  

$15 million is already set aside for Pettersson and Hughes. If they are signing bridge deals, then they aren't getting all of that $15 million. I also see one or two buyouts plus some trades happening in the offseason to give us more cap space. So, no, we don't really have cap issues. It will all work out.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

We’re in good shape, a few fans are blowing things out of proportion as usual.

Do people here realize that only a portion of the Canucks fan base supports these dumbs moves whereas the majority (aka the other portion of Canucks fans + the rest of the hockey world) is either very confused or just laughs at our misfortune...

image.thumb.png.38b4bf0f72a0a515564d9cbf19c4e1d0.png

(just a small example)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

1) Never EVER assume that you are smarter than an NHL GM or an entire front office.   You are not.    I am not, the poster next to me is not, no one on HF Canucks are, no one on 650 Sportsnet are, etc., etc.     It's very likely that they are seeing something that none of us are, or that they are privy to certain information that we do not have access to......which leads me to my "speculative" next points.

lawl

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

A few things:

1) Never EVER assume that you are smarter than an NHL GM or an entire front office.   You are not.    I am not, the poster next to me is not, no one on HF Canucks are, no one on 650 Sportsnet are, etc., etc.     It's very likely that they are seeing something that none of us are, or that they are privy to certain information that we do not have access to......which leads me to my "speculative" next points.

2) It's entirely possible that management knows that Beagle is done and will be LTIRetired, and hence, giving us the $$$ needed to sign Pearson.

3) It's entirely possible that the Canucks have a plan in place as far as Eriksson goes (i.e. one year left after this + only 2 million in real dollars owed = tradeable contract and/or easy to coax into retirement.   Bottom line = 6 million off the books).        

My message to you and my fellow Canucks fans is as follows:    

Before we pass judgement on this signing, lets at least see how the summer plays out.

p.s.  

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Gaudette-Virtanen OR Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen OR Podkolzin-Gaudette-Virtanen = potentially decent 3rd line with 

Motte-Boyd-MacEwen (or Roussel)

Looks to me like Benning is trying to create three lines that have a reasonable chance at producing consistent offence.    

That’s simply not true. For instance, when Buffalo signed Jeff Skinner to that monstrous contract, many including myself thought it was ridiculous. Guess what? We were absolutely right. From day 1 that contract has been a natural disaster.

And when Benning signed multiple free agents to seemingly large contracts, many (including numerous industry insiders) said it was a bad idea, as it could affect our ability to retain more talented players down the road. Guess what? We all watched that play out exactly as predicted last free agency, when we had to let Toffoli walk for only $1M more than we just gave Pearson. And for only $1.25M more than we previously gave Roussel and Beagle. Toffoli is significantly more talented than those 3, but Benning shot himself in the foot, as predicted.

And what exactly has the team gained from signing all of these players? With the exception of a few weeks in the bubble, we have been a bad team, period. Even last season, we were one of the worst teams in the league in the weeks leading up to COVID, and seemed destined to miss the playoffs yet again. The brief success we had was the outlier.

The collective opinion of the vast majority on the Pearson signing, from simple fans to analytic observers to industry insiders, is: “Decent player, but why?” Are they all wrong? Or are you suggesting that the front office with a history of making similar decisions that have all gone poorly must be right, simply because they must be?

Edited by D-Money
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

no way Tryamkin  signs at a mill he's gonna want 2.25-2.75

Pearson signing is baffling he's a third line winger   

Roussel better be bought out, Eriksson better retire, beagle better be taken by Seattle.

Thats a extra 10.5 mill in cap.

Myers, Sutter, Edler, Virtanen, Gaudette, Miller traded at deadline  frees another 24.5

We still don't have a decent 3rd line center.

I hope benning is fired if this doesn't happen.

Joe Biden Falling GIF

• Haha 2

Don't forget Ferland will either fill a spot because he's healthy, or his money will be added.   And that one player is going to Seattle which should take 1-6 million off the books too.  The 17 goes up to 22-26 then.   

• Cheers 2

Feels like I'm just repeating what everyone else is saying but yea, they have a plan in place otherwise this wouldn't happen. Not a huge fan of either the term or caphit on the Pearson deal but I can live with it. It's not a crazy contract by any means. He brings a lot to the table when his and his teammates game is on. I haven't seen much of that this year.

• Vintage 1

Like others, I find this signing - both term/$ - somewhat curious given the current financial climate of the both the league and the team itself. 

Wondering of JB and the other GM's have knowledge about the salary cap and what it is projected to look like post-COVID?  Could the recently announced TV agreement with Disney/ESPN - and what that will do the the NHL bottom line - have reassured JB that this contract is easily absorbed and doesn't put any undue pressure on the rest of the signings the team needs to make this off-season and beyond? 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't forget Ferland will either fill a spot because he's healthy, or his money will be added.   And that one player is going to Seattle which should take 1-6 million off the books too.  The 17 goes up to 22-26 then.   

Question on Ferland/injuries.

Can the Canucks make a decision on him in July? I'm not sure the money opens up until October so it's almost like a black hole?

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Were these same people “confused” when we decided to proceed forward with Demko instead of Markstrom?   Or when we acquired Nate Schmidt for a 3rd?

I look forward to the “confused” reactions of many people when they see what our opening night roster looks like sometime in October 2022.  

Not sure if there was a thread that addressed our goaltending but there was one for Schmidt.

Mostly positive, as it should be.

Your point?