Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Severe Cap Issues Next Year

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

did you do a poll?

This forum is the last bastion for Jim Benning apologists.  I think he is universally hated in every other Canucks community and universally "loved" by the overall hockey community for his ineptitude.  He has become the butt of many hockey jokes.  We have a reputation for being a team with one of the most exciting, talented cores in the NHL, that's being dragged down by poor contracts.  People pity us.  We ran into the cap situation past summer and it's only going to get worse as those young stars have to get paid.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a quick lineup for 2022. Seems like Jb can be under the cap if eriksson and roussel are bought out. And if edler signs a joe thorton kinda deal to come back as 7th D.

 

Untitled-3.png.88b282a2c27ebb26f004f835925ce7ed.png

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This forum is the last bastion for Jim Benning apologists.  I think he is universally hated in every other Canucks community and universally "loved" by the overall hockey community for his ineptitude.  He has become the butt of many hockey jokes.  We have a reputation for being a team with one of the most exciting, talented cores in the NHL, that's being dragged down by poor contracts.  People pity us.  We ran into the cap situation past summer and it's only going to get worse as those young stars have to get paid.

So no poll, just your opinion.

Thanks for not speaking for other fans, such as me, this post.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

No they didn’t.  
 

They knew where the team was at when they took over and they wanted to give our aging core one last kick at the can.

 

This is why guys like Bieksa, Garrison, and Higgins were shipped out relatively early in the process (while significant changes were made after our playoff loss to Calgary in 2015).   

 One? 

And here I suggested two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'm trying to remember.... oh yes!  The GM got fired!  Good.  I want the deja vu NOW!

 

I could not care less what happened in 2007.  This is not some Mayan calendar where history repeats itself.  Even if I wish it did in this case.

 

As for this past summer, it was poor.  The fans were pissed.  Pundits were boggled.  The hockey community as a whole was amused.  If Benning tried to trade away bad contracts, they would've been ones that HE signed.  Most fans are sick and tired of Jim Benning.  He is an embarrassment that has turned the Canucks into a management laughingstock.  And now we are losing games and nobody is watching.

Nobody is watching the Canucks right now because they haven’t played in two weeks due to most of their team being in Covid protocol.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You never really know with this management group but I suspect that they have a plan. Might not be something we necessarily like or agree with but they have to have one in order to be able to sign deals like TPs. 
 

If I were to take a guess I could see a potential Loui buyout, a trade of one of Or both Beagle/Roussel, and maybe them banking on the Kraken taking Holtby (I highly doubt it tho with his performance this year)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I'm trying to remember.... oh yes!  The GM got fired!  Good.  I want the deja vu NOW!

 

I could not care less what happened in 2007.  This is not some Mayan calendar where history repeats itself.  Even if I wish it did in this case.

 

As for this past summer, it was poor.  The fans were pissed.  Pundits were boggled.  The hockey community as a whole was amused.  If Benning tried to trade away bad contracts, they would've been ones that HE signed.  Most fans are sick and tired of Jim Benning.  He is an embarrassment that has turned the Canucks into a management laughingstock.  And now we are losing games and nobody is watching.

Even if the fans were pissed, it wasn’t warranted:

 

1) Demko is a better long term investment than Markstrom.   Hell, he may even be the superior goalie at current.

 

2) Nate Schmidt is a better overall defenseman than Chris Tanev and will likely age much better than Tanev as well.

 

3) Toffoli.  I’ll give you Toffoli.   Even I’m disappointed that we let Toffoli go as he has the type of game that will age well ( at a good cap hit and term), and I don’t understand how we committed to far inferior players at only a slightly lower price.   My guess is that term was the more pressing issue (ie Virtanen, Holtby, Hamonic, etc. will be off the books before October 2022) while Benning must have felt that Podkolzin and/Hoglander would be suitable replacements for Toffoli and didn’t want Podkolzin and/or Hoglander being “held back” on bottom six roles.    
 

Also, with regards to Toffoli, there were rumors apparently that the Canucks were trying to keep Toffoli while trying to move Brock (for a pick and good prospect) in order to clear cap space but Benning received low ball offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This forum is the last bastion for Jim Benning apologists.  I think he is universally hated in every other Canucks community and universally "loved" by the overall hockey community for his ineptitude.  He has become the butt of many hockey jokes.  We have a reputation for being a team with one of the most exciting, talented cores in the NHL, that's being dragged down by poor contracts.  People pity us.  We ran into the cap situation past summer and it's only going to get worse as those young stars have to get paid.

You’re wrong.  
 

Most intelligent fans on Canuckscorner.com also appreciate the long term vision that Benning has for this team.  

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that JB straight up answered when asked in today's interview, that he doesn't see any cap problems next year.  So he must have some knowledge that isn't public on perhaps Beagle's injury and future  or ownership agreeing to buyouts (Holtby, Eriksson?) or Ferland's situation etc.

 

It struck me that his answer was matter of fact,  "we don't anticipate any cap problems next year."

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have around 24 mil with Ferland on LTIR. We are now hearing that Beagle may not be back because of injury. (Just a rumor at this point.)

If Jim has been given the go to do buy outs then they can free up a fair amount for next year.

They will also lose someone in the expansion draft.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gurn said:

So no poll, just your opinion.

Thanks for not speaking for other fans, such as me, this post.

So the general consensus you got from this re-signing... is that fans are happy with Benning today?  Really?  You're gonna say that with a straight face?

 

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Nobody is watching the Canucks right now because they haven’t played in two weeks due to most of their team being in Covid protocol.

Now now, let's not try to argue on technicalities.

 

49 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Even if the fans were pissed, it wasn’t warranted:

 

1) Demko is a better long term investment than Markstrom.   Hell, he may even be the superior goalie at current.

 

2) Nate Schmidt is a better overall defenseman than Chris Tanev and will likely age much better than Tanev as well.

 

3) Toffoli.  I’ll give you Toffoli.   Even I’m disappointed that we let Toffoli go as he has the type of game that will age well ( at a good cap hit and term), and I don’t understand how we committed to far inferior players at only a slightly lower price.   My guess is that term was the more pressing issue (ie Virtanen, Holtby, Hamonic, etc. will be off the books before October 2022) while Benning must have felt that Podkolzin and/Hoglander would be suitable replacements for Toffoli and didn’t want Podkolzin and/or Hoglander being “held back” on bottom six roles.    
 

Also, with regards to Toffoli, there were rumors apparently that the Canucks were trying to keep Toffoli while trying to move Brock (for a pick and good prospect) in order to clear cap space but Benning received low ball offers.

Benning, along with the rest of the fanbase, has no choice but to try and compartmentalize the losses.  "Look at Tanev, Markstrom, Stecher vs Schmidt, Demko, Hamonic..." We replaced a reliable core with other players.  Schmidt and Hamonic are doing okay, but recognize that our team has been miserable to watch.  Say what you want about scheduling (which is a valid excuse), but everyone except Boeser and Demko have been out of form.  The players are underperforming.  I'd even say Travis Green was pretty close to getting fired.

 

I said before the past is not important.  The distant past doesn't matter (Luongo the one exception), but remember that these difficult decisions all stem from the choices Benning made.  We cannot afford any depth on our forwards or defencemen because we already have a bunch of overpaid forwards and defencemen!  For every player we lost, we have an albatross contract that's stuck on Vancouver's payroll.  Can we afford to fill out our roster after re-signing Petey and Huggy?  I reckon Benning will do something silly and go wild in free agency again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is actually something that has been largely overlooked I feel.  To me, this signing is in part, an indication of where JB must view some of the kids in the minors.  Unless he's planning a sign/trade with Pearson, then planning on having him around for the next 3 years must mean he doesn't see any prospects close to stepping in and filling that void anytime soon.  I know there are a LOT of users here who have already penciled Podz into certain spots of the line-up as early as this year, but to me nothing is guaranteed, nothing until it actually happens.   

I think we need a guy like Pearson to both push and shelter the likes of Podkolzin and Hoglander.

 

Want a spot beside Bo? Earn it. Want to stay there? Keep earning it. Struggling? Injured? We have a guy that can play there.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Is it similar plan that they had this offseason where Tanev and Toffoli were let go to sign Virtanen to 2.55 mil? I dont want it

You can’t just look at AAV’s.   Term needs to be considered as well.  
 

-Yes, Tanev’s AAV is relatively low, but does he have the type of game that will likely age well?  When will Virtanen be off the books?

-Yes, Markstrom is a 100x better than Holtby at only a slightly higher AAV, but HOLTBY is out of here in two years or less.   How many years is Markstrom signed for?   Does his body seem to be breaking down to you?

 

The only mistake that Benning made in the off season, at least in my opinion, is Toffoli, but even with that being said, Benning must be feeling VERY confident that one of Hoglander or Podkolzin will be able to successfully fill the Toffoli void by the time October 1st 2022 (our real window) begins.   Me personally?   I’m not so sure that I would have taken that risk, and the loss of Toffoli does piss me off, but let’s at least see how Podz and Hogs pan out. 

Edited by DarkIndianRises
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mordekai said:

I did a quick lineup for 2022. Seems like Jb can be under the cap if eriksson and roussel are bought out. And if edler signs a joe thorton kinda deal to come back as 7th D.

 

Untitled-3.png.88b282a2c27ebb26f004f835925ce7ed.png

1) I don’t think Hamonic or Vesey will be back.  Vesey will only be back if the Canucks move Motte at the deadline.

2) I think Beagle is done

3) Tryamkin will replace Edler

4) Benn will be back

5) Eriksson won’t be bought out.  If the Canucks really want Eriksson gone, they’ll use a sweetener to move him.  With one year and on,y 2 million in real money owed, this shouldn’t be too difficult.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Do people here realize that only a portion of the Canucks fan base supports these dumbs moves whereas the majority (aka the other portion of Canucks fans + the rest of the hockey world) is either very confused or just laughs at our misfortune...

 

image.thumb.png.38b4bf0f72a0a515564d9cbf19c4e1d0.png

 

(just a small example)

 

Of course you would put so much stock into what morons on reddit say. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nucksownyou
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Boyd-Motte

 

MacEwen

 

Hughes-Myers

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Benn

 

Demko
Holtby

wheres beagle  eeiksson magically dissapeared? not sure we want gaudette as a 3rd line c 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This forum is the last bastion for Jim Benning apologists.  I think he is universally hated in every other Canucks community and universally "loved" by the overall hockey community for his ineptitude.  He has become the butt of many hockey jokes.  We have a reputation for being a team with one of the most exciting, talented cores in the NHL, that's being dragged down by poor contracts.  People pity us.  We ran into the cap situation past summer and it's only going to get worse as those young stars have to get paid.

 ya but you think your smarter than you are im sure benning has a plan he did draft  boeser tryamkin hughes petey  hoglander virtanen demko  podkolzin juolevi  and  trade for motte pearson schmidt  how many nhl teams have you drafted or put together. Yes i dont like roussel myers sutter. pearson contracts  but zero gms ever win on every trade or signing thats just the way it is. Benning says hes not worried bout cap next yr meaning hes  got trades planned or some ones retiring or seattles taking one of our bad contracts at expansion im sure things will work out fine.  Plus u keep saying we ran into a cap situation last summer  did we really. we let tanev and marky  toffoli and stecher walk yes but did u wanna lock up another long term 16.0 mill right there no we let them go and went with youth i assume more youth will help team next yr 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...